Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: PSAC WEST

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
    Gannon revamped their starting lineup -- their starters totaled and average of 23.5 points per game. Joe Fustine played 1 minute on Wednesday, but played all 40 today. The move looked brilliant at the start -- Gannon looked like West Liberty in the first 10 minutes, making threes and forcing turnovers, taking a 30(!) to 18 lead. Then a very mediocre to bad Cal team outscored the now 3-10 Knights 54-27 for the final 30 minutes.

The battle for the last playoff spot in the West between Edinboro (1-5), Seton Hill (1-5), Clarion (1-5) and Gannon (1-6) is going to be epic -- it should bring lots of excitement to the Hammermill during the months of January and February.

Comment

Edinboro lost to Seton Hill yesterday. Things are getting rough up there. Any word on the injury front?

Comment

Gonnon has lost 6 straight in the once-vaunted Hammermill. Never thought I'd see that happen.

Comment

PSAC top teams update:

IUP (6-0, 13-0) - Hawks had little trouble with Gannon and UPJ. Big week ahead with road games at Mercyhurst and SRU.
          Shippensburg (6-1, 12-3) - Red Raiders recovered from the Shepherd loss with a big win over ESU. Tough week ahead.
          East Stroudsburg (6-1, 9-4) - Warriors have lost two straight. A Lock Haven visit this week should stop the bleeding.
          Slippery Rock (5-1, 8-5) - The Rock is red hot ... winners of 6 straight. Potential trap game at Cal prior to IUP's visit this weekend.
          UPJ (4-2, 9-4) - Mountain Cats get Gannon and Edinboro this week and should defeat both fairly easily.
          Mercyhurst (3-3, 8-3) - How will the Lakers respond to Saturday's 2 OT home loss?
          West Chester (5-2, 8-5) - Rams on 3-game win streak and have a real soft next four games prior to visiting ESU on Jan. 23

Hanging around (for now):

Millersville (3-3, 7-6) - Marauders have been close against top teams. Need to get over the hump.
          Kutztown (3-4, 9-6) - Bears should easily handle Edinboro Wednesday prior to a big road trip to Shippensburg this Saturday.

Comment

I said in another post that Cal will compete for the 4 spot in the PSAC west, which is a significant improvement for them from the past years and is a credit to Sancomb and the players. But with Cal's 4-7 record going into the game, I stand by my assessment -- yes they are improving, but they have a long way to go - they aren't in the same class with IUP, or even Slippery Rock or Mercyhurst. Getting outscored 54-27 on your home floor against a 4-7 team speaks for itself. I wish I could call my Knights "mediocore to bad."

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
              I said in another post that Cal will compete for the 4 spot in the PSAC west, which is a significant improvement for them from the past years and is a credit to Sancomb and the players. But with Cal's 4-7 record going into the game, I stand by my assessment -- yes they are improving, but they have a long way to go - they aren't in the same class with IUP, or even Slippery Rock or Mercyhurst. Getting outscored 54-27 on your home floor against a 4-7 team speaks for itself. I wish I could call my Knights "mediocore to bad."
              The pattern you see in Cal's schedule is they are struggling against teams with legit bigs. Cal is just undersized. That will be a major problem against SRU, Mercyhurst and IUP. UPJ will be an interesting match-up. That should have an MEC tempo to it.

Look for Micah Till to go bonkers Wednesday night at the Angelo Dome. No idea how Danny will try and slow him down. If I was Cal I'd try and run him out of gas.

SRU has been sporadic. The hope is you catch them on a bad night like Seton Hill did.

Speaking of the Griffins, they are actually showing some life as of late. If they beat Gannon in two days -- and they may -- the walls in the Hammermill may come down. Seton Hill may actually be a small favorite in that game. Depends who plays for Gannon (and isn't in the famous JR doghouse).

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                The pattern you see in Cal's schedule is they are struggling against teams with legit bigs. Cal is just undersized. That will be a major problem against SRU, Mercyhurst and IUP. UPJ will be an interesting match-up. That should have an MEC tempo to it.

Look for Micah Till to go bonkers Wednesday night at the Angelo Dome. No idea how Danny will try and slow him down. If I was Cal I'd try and run him out of gas.

SRU has been sporadic. The hope is you catch them on a bad night like Seton Hill did.

Speaking of the Griffins, they are actually showing some life as of late. If they beat Gannon in two days -- and they may -- the walls in the Hammermill may come down. Seton Hill may actually be a small favorite in that game. Depends who plays for Gannon (and isn't in the famous JR doghouse).
                I can't think of any reason why THE ROCK would sweat this game. They really just need to show up and take home the W. Now Saturday's game @ MFH that is a game to worry about. If they're not careful they could be run out of their own gym. Just sayin' never too early to
                start thinking about the C'HAWKS.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                  I can't think of any reason why THE ROCK would sweat this game. They really just need to show up and take home the W. Now Saturday's game @ MFH that is a game to worry about. If they're not careful they could be run out of their own gym. Just sayin' never too early to
                  start thinking about the C'HAWKS.

That's the exact reason I think Cal could pull an upset Wednesday night.

Comment

Gannon hosts UPJ on Wednesday hoping to avoid its seventh straight home loss (something I thought I'd never type). The Knights travel to Greensburg to play Seton Hill on Saturday.

Comment

[/B]

That's the exact reason I think Cal could pull an upset Wednesday night.
                      Hmm, hadn't thought of that !!!

Comment

Not a fantastic slate tonight but a couple good games -- likely a lot of blowouts.

BEST GAMES

IUP at Mercyhurst -- Nobody goes undefeated and many believe this could be the night IUP stumbles. The MAC is a tough venue for many reasons. That said, Joe Lombardi does a fantastic job of keeping his teams focused on the next game. These are two coaches and programs that know each other very well. Every game in this series is always close. Tonight will be no different. IUP does just enough and sneaks out of Erie with a tight win. Crimson Hawks -1.5

Shippensburg at Millersville - The time has come for Millersville. The Marauders can't talk about being part of the East wrecking crew until they join the party. Close losses don't count -- and they've had a ton of them. Shippensburg is a much better match-up for the Ville than West Chester was. Unfortunately for the Marauders, the story remains the same. The Red Raiders have too much 1-7. Ship wins a tight one. Red Raiders -7.

Slippery Rock at California - The Vulcans enter on a bit of a hot streak but it's came against basement dwellers. Tonight is a big step up in competition. The best bet for Cal is if SRU is already mentally on to IUP -- much as UPJ was a week ago when it barely beat lowly Clarion prior to its trip to Indiana. Cal's post player size is so limited that it's hard to imagine how they deal with Micah Till and his buddies under the basket. The only chance is to run, run and run some more. Tire them out. Cal has to shoot the lights out. They won't be getting many rebounds. Vulcans keep it close for awhile but SRU pulls away in the final 15 minutes. Rock -10

Games of note:

UPJ at Gannon: Mountain Cats should enter the Hammermill in a bad mood. The Knights have to score at least 70 to have any shot of winning. Their physical play will keep them in the game. GU has to prevent giving up open looks. If they don't, UPJ will have a field day from outside. UPJ -7

Edinboro at Kutztown: Will the Fighting Scots have enough players to form a Starting Five? Does anybody on Earth know what injuries they have or when their players will be back? A lot has changed in one year up in McComb. Kutztown - 18

Comment

SCORES

IUP 77 Mercyhurst 66

SRU 95 CAL 84

West Chester 87 Mansfield 56

Shippensburg 75 Millersville 66

Gannon 64 UPJ 61 --------------------------> UPSET CITY

Bloomsburg 109 Wilmington 87

Kutztown 87 Edinboro 48

Clarion 76 Seton Hill 72 (OT)

ESU 83 Lock Haven 65
                          Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-09-2019, 08:47 PM.

Comment

• Comment

Anybody else think #5 from Mercyhurst looks like the old guy playing ball at the YMCA? Kid can really shoot but if he isn't spot shooting then he's a nightmare. Any time he had to dribble or defend it was god awful!

Comment

UPDATED STANDINGS

EAST

Shippensburg (7-1, 13-3) - Rival Kutztown visits this Saturday. Never know what that may bring.
                                East Stroudsburg (7-1, 10-4) - Idle this Saturday. Week to prepare for IUP's visit.
                                West Chester (6-2, 9-5) - Here they come. Rams should play the role of poor host to Bloomsburg in a couple days.
                                Kutztown (4-4, 10-6) - Bears have won three straight after very inconsistent start. Trip to Ship is a must-win.
                                Lock Haven (4-4, 5-6) - Cal comes to town Saturday.
                                Millersville (3-4, 7-7) - Close but no cigar.
                                Bloomsburg (2-5, 5-7) - Hung a hundy on Wilmington. Trip to WCU won't be easy.
                                Mansfield (0-8, 1-12) - Going to be a long, cold winter up North.

WEST

IUP (7-0, 14-0) - Finish one big game. Prepare for next big game. Schedule finally lightens up after trip to ESU next week.
                                Slippery Rock (6-1, 9-5) - Rock is rolling. Total shame they have to host IUP over break in what will be an empty Morrow.
                                UPJ (4-3, 9-5) - The perfect cure for the Mountain Cats hangover visits Johnstown this weekend: Edinboro.
                                Mercyhurst (3-4, 8-4) - Lakers aren't going away. Tough team.
                                California (3-4, 5-8) - Vulcans should have an easy trip to Lock Haven prior to their likely shootout in Johnstown next Wednesday.
                                Clarion (2-5, 4-7) - Tremendous comeback win against Seton Hill. Unfortunately, an angry Mercyhurst visits in 48 hours.
                                Gannon (2-6, 4-10) - Huge upset over UPJ. Next three: Seton Hill, Edinboro, Clarion. If a turnaround is in the cards, this is the time.
                                Edinboro (1-6, 4-8) - An already short bench got further decimated with injuries.
                                Seton Hill (1-6, 3-10) - Trevor Blondin, where are you?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X