Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: PSAC WEST

Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
    When I attended games at Gannon 07 to @ 00 they ave in the 1500 to 1800 range per game. Now with Reilly's heavy heavy on defense and low scoring games frustrates many of the GU fans. Latest I've heard they are only ave in the 400 range.
    Then again their AD doesn't have a clue. All GU men sports are in the tank and all see does is add women's dance, cheer & women's wrestling. Gannon never fires a coach, they just get so bad that they get embarrassed and move on themselves to different line of work.
    PS a balmy 61 deg in Ft Worth TX right now
    You're absolutely wrong! Reilly's defensive style is not the reason attendance is way down. Attendance is way down across the board in all D2 basketball and football. The older population is dying off and this young generation doesn't give a rats A$$ about D2 sports. All this dang generation cares about is their electronics and social media. God for bid they leave that to go to a game!

Reilly's style has proven year in and year out that it wins! This is his second year since being at Gannon that he isn't winning. It doesn't help that he lost his center unexpectedly.

Comment

John Reilly is one helluva coach. He knows how to run a program and create a winning culture. His passion and energy are off the charts and he can coach the hell out of defense. Yes, Gannon is struggling offensively, but that is more of a function of guys not making shots. Gannon is shooting 39% from the field, and 27% from three. Not good enough. Yet, with a record of 3-8, Gannon scores 61.1 against 63.7, a margin of only -2.6. I agree that losing Evan Phoenix was a crusher. And the rest of the lineup either consists of new guys (JUCOs and frosh) or returning players who are now being asked to play big minutes. That is not a good recipe, yet Reilly wills these guys to compete in every game, not matter how frustrating they are to watch on offense. Gannon historically gets better as the season progresses and I suspect this year will be no different. I bet a poll of PSAC east and west coaches would find Gannon near the top of the toughest teams to play.

I can tell you this - if Reilly is indeed on the hot seat (which even sounds silly to say) - there will be alot of teams ready to hire him.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
        You're absolutely wrong! Reilly's defensive style is not the reason attendance is way down. Attendance is way down across the board in all D2 basketball and football. The older population is dying off and this young generation doesn't give a rats A$$ about D2 sports. All this dang generation cares about is their electronics and social media. God for bid they leave that to go to a game!

Reilly's style has proven year in and year out that it wins! This is his second year since being at Gannon that he isn't winning. It doesn't help that he lost his center unexpectedly.
        This would be his 5th losing season. I am not saying that he should be on the hot seat, I was asking because of the prior poster's comment that GU fans are not happy. That is the reason for my question

Comment

https://gannonsports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=283

Look at the bottom of the webpage. He's had 4 losing seasons and two were the first two years he was there when he was rebuilding a mess. Reilly is one of the top coaches in this region bar none. If they want to get rid of him then there are many universities that would hire him instantly!

Comment

Here is the most recent KPI for the PSAC teams (overall D2 rank out of 305 teams ... games against D3 opponents don't count):

You can see the criteria categories in the General Discussion forum.

1. IUP
            10. Mercyhurst
            41. Shippensburg
            51. UPJ
            72. East Stroudsburg
            97. Kutztown
            127. Slippery Rock
            153. Millersville
            166. West Chester
            219. California
            221. Lock Haven
            241. Bloomsburg
            243. Seton Hill
            250. Edinboro
            279. Gannon
            294. Clarion
            297. Mansfield

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              The JR style can work but he can't miss on recruits. We've seen the years when he gets the right group together they are very difficult to play.

That team of his that got upset in the NCAA tournament by SRU was very good.

It's a challenge to find guys who want to play in an offense that scores 55 points per game and tries to hold opponents to 54 points.

Gannon will never be an easy game under JR. Even a team like this one at 3-8 ... you best be ready for a street fight. They aren't getting blown out in most of those 8 losses. I fully expect a fierce battle next Wednesday night in Indiana.
              This is the best and worst parts of the Reilly era. If he gets the right combination of players, watch out ... They can be very good. (Like the 2015 PSAC champ team that was upset by SRU in the first round ...) But if he doesn't the bottom is endless (like 2016). Gannon fans aren't used to this volatility. But I agree that Reils isn't going anywhere and would be picked up quickly by anyone. His teams also are good representatives of the university off the court and in the classroom. The Phoenix situation is strange ... I think that there was plenty of time to find someone else. It's not like he quit in August.

Gannon is a very soft 3-8 if that's possible. The three teams GU's beaten are ranked 40, 41, and 43 (out of 43) in the Atlantic Region KPIs. I expect it to be ugly at IUP on January 2. Make this one of the lines in your Atlantic Region Pick-em!

Comment

Big night on tap. It's opening night of divisional play -- with two big inter-regional games.

Clarion at UPJ: UPJ clobbers most in Johnstown. Tonight will be no different. Clarion is reeling. UPJ in a run-away (-28)

Kutztown at Bowie State: Two tough teams on any given night. Two average teams on any given night. It's a huge advantage to visit Bowie over break. Golden Bears in a close one (-4)

Seton Hill at Slippery Rock: Griffins coming off two smackdowns. A third comes tonight in Morrow. This will be a brutal night for SH under the basket. Men versus boys. SRU wins big (-18)

Shepherd at Shippensburg: What will become a big rivalry game next year gets a dress rehearsal tonight. The Rams are a deceiving 6-4 and are a legit team -- their biggest margin of defeat is just 8 points (including a 2-point loss at West Liberty). Shippensburg is very tough at home. Red Raiders get the win in what should be a tight, spirited game (Ship -5)

Lock Haven at Bloomsburg: The Bald Eagles aren't bad. LHU should get a nice road win (-12)

East Stroudsburg at Saint Rose: This should be a good trip to Albany for the Warriors. Saint Rose made some strides the past couple years but seem to be back in rebuilding mode. ESU wins big (-18)

California at Edinboro: Perhaps the toughest game of the night for the 'Pick 'Em' crowd. Our panel of experts is picking this game at a near 50/50 split. The great unknown is the health of Edinboro star guard Anthony Coleman. The Scots are a far different (better) team with him. They've (barely) stayed afloat in his 5-week absence -- going 2-4. California can score the ball. The Vulcans have averaged about 95 points in their past three outings since getting some injured players back. With Coleman's status unknown ... Vegas isn't putting any action on this one. "Pick 'Em" is the betting line.

Gannon at IUP: On paper, this would appear a mismatch. But, games aren't played on paper. It's a big rivalry game between two programs who know each other very well. IUP's one weakness may be it isn't an overly physical team. They'll get a whole lot of 'physical' tonight from the visiting Knights. Expect GU to do everything possible to slow this game down to a snail's pace. IUP must play its game and not get sucked in to the zone. IUP has won 5 of the past 6 in the series -- almost all close games. Tonight will be no different. Expect a very spirited effort from Gannon, but in the end the Hawks will have too much (IUP -7).

Comment

Big night on tap. It's opening night of divisional play -- with two big inter-regional games.

Clarion at UPJ: UPJ clobbers most in Johnstown. Tonight will be no different. Clarion is reeling. UPJ in a run-away (-28)

Kutztown at Bowie State: Two tough teams on any given night. Two average teams on any given night. It's a huge advantage to visit Bowie over break. Golden Bears in a close one (-4)

Seton Hill at Slippery Rock: Griffins coming off two smackdowns. A third comes tonight in Morrow. This will be a brutal night for SH under the basket. Men versus boys. SRU wins big (-18)

Shepherd at Shippensburg: What will become a big rivalry game next year gets a dress rehearsal tonight. The Rams are a deceiving 6-4 and are a legit team -- their biggest margin of defeat is just 8 points (including a 2-point loss at West Liberty). Shippensburg is very tough at home. Red Raiders get the win in what should be a tight, spirited game (Ship -5)

Lock Haven at Bloomsburg: The Bald Eagles aren't bad. LHU should get a nice road win (-12)

East Stroudsburg at Saint Rose: This should be a good trip to Albany for the Warriors. Saint Rose made some strides the past couple years but seem to be back in rebuilding mode. ESU wins big (-18)

California at Edinboro: Perhaps the toughest game of the night for the 'Pick 'Em' crowd. Our panel of experts is picking this game at a near 50/50 split. The great unknown is the health of Edinboro star guard Anthony Coleman. The Scots are a far different (better) team with him. They've (barely) stayed afloat in his 5-week absence -- going 2-4. California can score the ball. The Vulcans have averaged about 95 points in their past three outings since getting some injured players back. With Coleman's status unknown ... Vegas isn't putting any action on this one. "Pick 'Em" is the betting line.

Gannon at IUP: On paper, this would appear a mismatch. But, games aren't played on paper. It's a big rivalry game between two programs who know each other very well. IUP's one weakness may be it isn't an overly physical team. They'll get a whole lot of 'physical' tonight from the visiting Knights. Expect GU to do everything possible to slow this game down to a snail's pace. IUP must play its game and not get sucked in to the zone. IUP has won 5 of the past 6 in the series -- almost all close games. Tonight will be no different. Expect a very spirited effort from Gannon, but in the end the Hawks will have too much (IUP -7).
                  Other side of the Sheep coin is their average margin of victory in their 6 W's is 9 points and that includes a 17 point win over WVW. They are 6-2 at home and 0-2 on the road.

Comment

Take the seven points and IUP. Gannon is way to offensively challenged stay in this one.

I love how the PSAC has the Wednesday / Saturday game cadence. It give a nice rhythm to the otherwise cold & dreary January and February days.

Why are there three non-conference game in the East? I can see how we'd arrive at two non-conference games (one team has the bye, one team originally had Cheyney), but I can't see how three east teams wouldn't have a league game.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
                      Take the seven points and IUP. Gannon is way to offensively challenged stay in this one.

I love how the PSAC has the Wednesday / Saturday game cadence. It give a nice rhythm to the otherwise cold & dreary January and February days.

Why are there three non-conference game in the East? I can see how we'd arrive at two non-conference games (one team has the bye, one team originally had Cheyney), but I can't see how three east teams wouldn't have a league game.
                      Strange stuff happens in rivalry games. See it all the time. I've seen way too many Gannon visits here as perceived heavy underdogs ... and the games are almost always tight.

I've been saying all year Gannon will eventually figure things out. Reilly is far too good of a coach. I just hope they do it Saturday.

I do think the IUP vs Gannon rivalry is a healthy, respectful one (mostly).

IUP vs SRU is always one moment away from a benches-clearing brawl. Of course that may change now with one key participant no longer involved.
                      Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-02-2019, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Kutztown 74 Bowie State 61

Slippery Rock 71 Seton Hill 67 (OT)

Shepherd 74 Shippensburg 67

Bloomsburg 77 Lock Haven 71

IUP 78 Gannon 57

Cal 90 Edinboro 66

Saint Rose 89 East Stroudsburg 72 ..... wow

UPJ 71 Clarion 70

Comment

Wide open this year!

Comment

Cal dropped the hammer in McComb.

Just a guess but UPJ was already mentally at the KCAC.

SH taking SRU to OT .. didn't see that coming.

Huge win for Shepherd. They can play.

Comment

Kutztown 74 Bowie State 61

Slippery Rock 71 Seton Hill 67 (OT)

Shepherd 74 Shippensburg 67

Bloomsburg 77 Lock Haven 71

IUP 78 Gannon 57

Cal 90 Edinboro 66

Saint Rose 89 East Stroudsburg 72 ..... wow

UPJ 71 Clarion 70

St. Rose beat ESU last year. They are a good team in a tough conference of their own...

Comment

Fresh off the press, boys and girls:

EAST

East Stroudsburg (6-0, 9-3)
                                Shippensburg (5-1, 11-3)
                                West Chester (4-2, 7-5)
                                Millersville (3-2, 7-5)
                                Lock Haven (3-3, 4-5)
                                Kutztown (2-4, 8-6)
                                Bloomsburg (2-4, 4-6)
                                Mansfield (0-6, 1-10)