Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: PSAC WEST

Millersville is coming on. Game at UPJ should be a good one. I still like UPJ.

Mercyhurst - wow. Kutztown is an enigma. Mansfield won't be. Mercyhurst by 25.

Gannon has a horrible combo of issues on Offense: no go to scorer like Zay Jackson, no three shooters, no inside game, no experience and worst of all no confidence coupled with being timid. Its going to take alot for Gannon to get it going on offense but giving their athletes a little more freedom might help.

Looking at the play by play, Seton Hill was winning by 9 with 1:30 to play in regulation and lost by 17 in OT. Seton Hill was up by 3 points with 7 secs left and fouled a three shooter who made the three pt FG and 1. Seton Hill then made one of two free throws with no time left to go into OT. Seton Hill plays 6 guys the entire game, which means Seton Hill is one injury away from turning a bad season into a disaster. West Chester by 15.

Shippensburg is just solid and smart and can shoot. Clarion is none of that.

East Stroud probably learned from taking Seton Hill lightly. I see ESU by 12.

Edinboro is getting better. Lock Haven is not. EU by 8.

Comment

Mercyhurst 66
      Mansfield 44

Final

Looks like Gary can speed up or slow down. Certainly wasn't the score I expected to see.

Comment

Mercyhurst over Mansfield

Kutztown escapes Gannon, 59-56.

UPJ defeats Millersville

Ship big over Clarion

WCU hammered SH

SRU big over Bloom

ESU won at Cal

Lock Haven wins at Edinboro

Comment

What a zany, oddly-officiated finish at the Hammermill. Kutztown's final possession started with the game tied at 56 with 30.6 seconds left on the clock and a fresh 30-second shot clock. Lee shot from the top of the key with 1-ish seconds left and the ball went in at the buzzer. One of three things happened:

1. Lee did not get shot off before shot clock expired. Shot clock violation. Gannon ball 0.6 seconds left, tied 56-56
          2. Lee got shot off, clock expired as ball was in air. Game over -- no time left on clock. Kutztown wins 59-56 (this is what I think truly call should have been)
          3. Lee got shot off, clock did not expire till after ball went in hoop. Kutztown leads 59-56, Gannon gets possession with 0.3 seconds left at the very, very most.

The call that was ultimately made after a lengthy conference was that the shot counted and Gannon ball with 59-56 lead and 1.0 seconds left on the clock. That is a complete impossibility. The ball left Lee's hand with about 1 second to go. There is no way at all that the ball went through the hoop with 1.0 seconds left. Again, I think that the shot was good and no time was left and the game should have been over, so the final result was right when a GU heave didn't find the rim.

Anyhow, what an A+ second half defensive effort for Gannon. It was truly incredible how uncomfortable they made life for Kutztown. It's too, too bad that Gannon's inability to put the ball in the hoop (6/33 on threes after starting 2/20) resulted in only about half the points that Mercyhurst was able to hang on KU the day before. A 3-8 record going to the holidays. And the three victories came against teams with a COMBINED one win over Division II teams.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            Looks like Gary can speed up or slow down. Certainly wasn't the score I expected to see.
            Gary was at the Hammermill both Tuesday and Wednesday night since the Hurst played in the afternoon. A rare opportunity to play and watch a game on the same day.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
              What a zany, oddly-officiated finish at the Hammermill. Kutztown's final possession started with the game tied at 56 with 30.6 seconds left on the clock and a fresh 30-second shot clock. Lee shot from the top of the key with 1-ish seconds left and the ball went in at the buzzer. One of three things happened:

1. Lee did not get shot off before shot clock expired. Shot clock violation. Gannon ball 0.6 seconds left, tied 56-56
              2. Lee got shot off, clock expired as ball was in air. Game over -- no time left on clock. Kutztown wins 59-56 (this is what I think truly call should have been)
              3. Lee got shot off, clock did not expire till after ball went in hoop. Kutztown leads 59-56, Gannon gets possession with 0.3 seconds left at the very, very most.

The call that was ultimately made after a lengthy conference was that the shot counted and Gannon ball with 59-56 lead and 1.0 seconds left on the clock. That is a complete impossibility. The ball left Lee's hand with about 1 second to go. There is no way at all that the ball went through the hoop with 1.0 seconds left. Again, I think that the shot was good and no time was left and the game should have been over, so the final result was right when a GU heave didn't find the rim.

Anyhow, what an A+ second half defensive effort for Gannon. It was truly incredible how uncomfortable they made life for Kutztown. It's too, too bad that Gannon's inability to put the ball in the hoop (6/33 on threes after starting 2/20) resulted in only about half the points that Mercyhurst was able to hang on KU the day before. A 3-8 record going to the holidays. And the three victories came against teams with a COMBINED one win over Division II teams.
              Yeah, you're wrong on all accounts. I was there and the ball was through the hoop with approx. 1.2 seconds on the clock. They put 1 sec on the clock which couldn't be argued. The refs got that call right. The call you should be pissed about is the goal tend that was called when Matt Johnson got sent through the wall. That was clearly a foul (no call) then the goal tend was called (right call). They lost 2 points there because of an idiot Gannon player and Matt Johnson should've been shooting 2 free throws. He goes to the line there it could've been a different result.
              Last edited by IUPalum; 12-20-2018, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Mid-term grades are in, boys and girls. Some made the Dean's List. Others need some serious library time.

WEST:

IUP (4-0, 11-0) -- Hawks closed the first semester with straight A's. Lot of big, dramatic wins -- home and away. SOS is stacked. Many of the teams IUP has defeated will continue winning lots and lots of games. Grade: A+

Mercyhurst (3-1, 8-1) -- Minus one setback, the Lakers were dominant in Nov-Dec. -- capped off with a bashing of Kutztown. Grade: A

UPJ (3-1, 8-3) -- Lost nail-biters to Le Moyne (3OT) and Shippensburg. Easily could have just one loss. Amazing being they are so young. Grade B+

Slippery Rock (3-1, 6-5) -- SRU has found itself but regardless of the circumstances five losses are five losses. Big second half potential. Grade: C+

Edinboro (1-3, 4-5) -- Edinboro wasn't deep to begin with ... losing its star for the past month sure hasn't helped. Scots have lost a few ugly games. They would be a much, much different team with Anthony Coleman. His injury status has been locked up in Fort Knox. Grade: D

California (1-3, 3-7) -- Cal's had a tough year but has a bright future. Vulcans are making strides this year. The record is the record, however. Grade: D

Gannon (1-4, 3-8) -- Eight losses before Santa Claus visits the Hammermill will have boosters buying Reilly coal. Buckets of it. GU's NCAA hopes are over before Dec. 21. Team could still make some noise in the conference -- maybe -- but that's the extent of it. Unless they run the table, ... Grade: D-

Clarion (1-4, 2-6) -- Clarion has one of the worst strength of schedules in the Atlantic Region and is still 2-6. Grade: F

Seton Hill (0-4, 2-8) -- Griffins have showed some fight but are just drastically undermanned. Effort only goes so far. You are what your record says you are ... Grade: F

Comment

Ship 79, Clarion 66 before a spirited crowd of 50 announced. Clarion holds the lead through the first 10 minutes before Raiders play an impeccable 10 minutes, go on a 25-2 run and have the Eagles doubled up at the half, 48-24. Then Ship comes out entirely listless after the break and Clarion gets back within six before Fite's guys finally hit some shots down the stretch. You'll notice I don't attribute much of this to Clarion, because really, there's not much there.

Not Ship's best moment, but they're 10-2 and off until Dec. 29 when Mercyhurst visits Heiges. More and more, it feels like this team is at its best when the ball is in the hands of Jake Biss.
                  Last edited by jrshooter; 12-20-2018, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                    Mid-term grades are in, boys and girls. Some made the Dean's List. Others need some serious library time.

WEST:

IUP (4-0, 11-0) -- Hawks closed the first semester with straight A's. Lot of big, dramatic wins -- home and away. SOS is stacked. Many of the teams IUP has defeated will continue winning lots and lots of games. Grade: A+

Mercyhurst (3-1, 8-1) -- Minus one setback, the Lakers were dominant in Nov-Dec. -- capped off with a bashing of Kutztown. Grade: A

UPJ (3-1, 8-3) -- Lost nail-biters to Le Moyne (3OT) and Shippensburg. Easily could have just one loss. Amazing being they are so young. Grade B+

Slippery Rock (3-1, 6-5) -- SRU has found itself but regardless of the circumstances five losses are five losses. Big second half potential. Grade: C+

Edinboro (1-3, 4-5) -- Edinboro wasn't deep to begin with ... losing its star for the past month sure hasn't helped. Scots have lost a few ugly games. They would be a much, much different team with Anthony Coleman. His injury status has been locked up in Fort Knox. Grade: D

California (1-3, 3-7) -- Cal's had a tough year but has a bright future. Vulcans are making strides this year. The record is the record, however. Grade: D

Gannon (1-4, 3-8) -- Eight losses before Santa Claus visits the Hammermill will have boosters buying Reilly coal. Buckets of it. GU's NCAA hopes are over before Dec. 21. Team could still make some noise in the conference -- maybe -- but that's the extent of it. Unless they run the table, ... Grade: D-

Clarion (1-4, 2-6) -- Clarion has one of the worst strength of schedules in the Atlantic Region and is still 2-6. Grade: F

Seton Hill (0-4, 2-8) -- Griffins have showed some fight but are just drastically undermanned. Effort only goes so far. You are what your record says you are ... Grade: F

I haven't seen EVERY team in the West, but I can say that if Seton Hill and California don't get some depth, they'll be done by the end of January. You need more than 6 players in the PSAC...Plus, a 17-point Mercyhurst loss at ESU is a bit more than a setback, it was a drubbing...And Kutztown isn't the Kutztown of 3 years ago...
                    Last edited by WarriorVoice; 12-20-2018, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                      Yeah, you're wrong on all accounts. I was there and the ball was through the hoop with approx. 1.2 seconds on the clock. They put 1 sec on the clock which couldn't be argued. The refs got that call right. The call you should be pissed about is the goal tend that was called when Matt Johnson got sent through the wall. That was clearly a foul (no call) then the goal tend was called (right call). They lost 2 points there because of an idiot Gannon player and Matt Johnson should've been shooting 2 free throws. He goes to the line there it could've been a different result.
                      I agree 100% - that non-call on the Matt Johnson steal and contested lay up was the key play of the game because Gannon was up 1 with 55 seconds left, got a steal and should have had at least two free throws. I would not have argued against Johnson foregoing that contested layup on which he was fouled and pulling the ball out to burn 30 seconds and perhaps get fouled.

I would also add that the Gannon clock guy did not do the home team any favors. The clock is supposed to stop on a made field goal under one minute. The clock operator let it run to zero. Had he stopped the clock at 1.2 secs like he should have, the Kutztown players running on the floor should have brought a technical. Reilly appeared to be arguing that point. Who knows, maybe they would not have run on the floor if the clock had been stopped at 1.2.

Having said all of that, Gannon shot 6-33 from three point range (18%) and 17-60 (28%) overall, which is in the unheard of category. Yet they had a chance to win because the Gannon kids just continue to battle their a**es off. Gannon has kids that can shoot the ball from three. I believe that shooting is 25% technique and 75% confidence. Right now its all in the heads of the Gannon players and they are pressing so hard that its tough to watch. Part of the mental break down with their shooting may be the fact that the Gannon philosophy is to pound it inside and shoot threes as a last resort, which is fine if you have Bigs who can score but Gannon does not. That "three as a last resort" philosophy also subtly tells the players that the coach is not sold on shooting threes, so that creeps into their minds and then they become hesitant. He who hesitates is lost. That hesitation and timidity and lack of confidence is steam rolling Gannon mentally right now.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
                        I haven't seen EVERY team in the West, but I can say that if Seton Hill and California don't get some depth, they'll be done by the end of January. You need more than 6 players in the PSAC...Plus, a 17-point Mercyhurst loss at ESU is a bit more than a setback, it was a drubbing...
                        Seton Hill lost at home to Millersville and West Chester by 30. The Seton Hill players look like they have checked out. Their head coach did them no favors by bringing in not a single recruit that is helping, and zero JUCOs.

Comment

Originally posted by PSACwatcher View Post
                          I agree 100% - that non-call on the Matt Johnson steal and contested lay up was the key play of the game because Gannon was up 1 with 55 seconds left, got a steal and should have had at least two free throws. I would not have argued against Johnson foregoing that contested layup on which he was fouled and pulling the ball out to burn 30 seconds and perhaps get fouled.

I would also add that the Gannon clock guy did not do the home team any favors. The clock is supposed to stop on a made field goal under one minute. The clock operator let it run to zero. Had he stopped the clock at 1.2 secs like he should have, the Kutztown players running on the floor should have brought a technical. Reilly appeared to be arguing that point. Who knows, maybe they would not have run on the floor if the clock had been stopped at 1.2.

Having said all of that, Gannon shot 6-33 from three point range (18%) and 17-60 (28%) overall, which is in the unheard of category. Yet they had a chance to win because the Gannon kids just continue to battle their a**es off. Gannon has kids that can shoot the ball from three. I believe that shooting is 25% technique and 75% confidence. Right now its all in the heads of the Gannon players and they are pressing so hard that its tough to watch. Part of the mental break down with their shooting may be the fact that the Gannon philosophy is to pound it inside and shoot threes as a last resort, which is fine if you have Bigs who can score but Gannon does not. That "three as a last resort" philosophy also subtly tells the players that the coach is not sold on shooting threes, so that creeps into their minds and then they become hesitant. He who hesitates is lost. That hesitation and timidity and lack of confidence is steam rolling Gannon mentally right now.
                          I said last week that with the athletes Gannon has ... if they'd just play 'playground' on offense they'd score 75 points a game. It's not like those guys weren't scorers in high school and all the sudden forgot how to put the ball in the hoop.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                            How much time was left when Ogbuagu made his second free throw? I believe that is was 30.6 seconds and change (the play-by-play says 30 seconds; it does not show tenths)? I will stand corrected if it was something like 32.0. The video by @etnreisenweber clearly shows the shot clock had expired by the time that Lee's shot went through the basket (and at least a fraction of a second earlier). The game clock was not visible in the video.

Edit to provide video link: https://twitter.com/ETNreisenweber/s...80123510988800
                            Last edited by Golden89; 12-20-2018, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
                              How much time was left when Ogbuagu made his second free throw? I believe that is was 30.6 seconds and change (the play-by-play says 30 seconds; it does not show tenths)? I will stand corrected if it was something like 32.0. The video by @etnreisenweber clearly shows the shot clock had expired by the time that Lee's shot went through the basket (and at least a fraction of a second earlier). The game clock was not visible in the video.

Edit to provide video link: https://twitter.com/ETNreisenweber/s...80123510988800
                              I was at the game and I believe your right there was 30.6 seconds left when kutztown had the last possesion. The video clearly shows 0 on the shot clock way before the ball went through the hoop. Gannon should have never got another shot.

Comment

Beyond the call how do you let Anthony Lee get an open look in that moment?

Moe Willaims was already fouled out.

You gotta give Lee a Siamese Twin in that spot.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X