Clear All

• Re: PSAC WEST

Most teams are off Dec 29 but there are two huge games:

WCU at Kutztown

Mercyhurst at Shippensburg

Comment

• Comment

I don't think there is any chance Grady gets that job moving forward. Which, likely will mean another mass turnover this offseason.

It's hard to promote an assistant who was there for 8 of of the 10 years and worked directly for the guy you just ran out of town. They kept him this year beacause they had to at that point in the season.

I know Grady is nothing like KR. But, guilt by association is a real thing. It's hard to fire a guy for a list of items and then think his top assistant wasn't involved in any of them, too.

SRU will get a lot of good applicants for that job. It would be a great gig for the older-type coach looking for a last stop. It would also be appealing to finding the next Chris Fite type.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          It would also be appealing to finding the next Chris Fite type.
          It's entirely possible that I was seeing something that wasn't there, but I thought Wednesday night was as close as Fite has gotten to losing his **** on the bench. The first 10 minutes of each half, he looked pretty apoplectic as his team approached him in timeouts.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPTrackMan View Post
            Twice Till passed up dunks to give the ball to an open teammate who was about 6 ft away
            WOW...That's a BAD play not a good one!!! Passing up not one but two SURE dunks to give the ball to a player further from the basket? Not a wise play no matter how "unselfish" it might appear.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
              It's entirely possible that I was seeing something that wasn't there, but I thought Wednesday night was as close as Fite has gotten to losing his **** on the bench. The first 10 minutes of each half, he looked pretty apoplectic as his team approached him in timeouts.
              He has some intensity. You're right, though, he is usually pretty level-headed.

That was a tough game for the players. They know Clarion is a total mismatch and it's the last game before vacation. It's a tough one to coach.

Every time Fite comes up around here it's always ... "yeah, he's the next coach at IUP." That story can be put to bed. Joe's going to coach another 5-10 years in my opinion. It's far too sweet of a gig.

I do think Fite should be a serious target of a lower-level D1 program.

Comment

Beyond the call how do you let Anthony Lee get an open look in that moment?

Moe Willaims was already fouled out.

You gotta give Lee a Siamese Twin in that spot.
                Mildly contested. He wasn't wide open, but he had enough room to get off a pretty good shot. He doesn't need much room.

Reilly played a zone on the last play ... he does that frequently coming out of a timeout on the last possession when teams have no timeouts left. Kutztown played it as well as they could have - it usually works, but not this time.

Speaking of Moe Williams ... he needs to work on his foul shooting, to say the least -- 34% for the year. I looked up his FT percentage after his first trip to the line ... just watching him you can tell he's a very poor free throw shooter.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
                  Mildly contested. He wasn't wide open, but he had enough room to get off a pretty good shot. He doesn't need much room.

Reilly played a zone on the last play ... he does that frequently coming out of a timeout on the last possession when teams have no timeouts left. Kutztown played it as well as they could have - it usually works, but not this time.

Speaking of Moe Williams ... he needs to work on his foul shooting, to say the least -- 34% for the year. I looked up his FT percentage after his first trip to the line ... just watching him you can tell he's a very poor free throw shooter.
                  Yep. His numbers would be scary if he could hit FTs. He's an athletic freak and gets fouled constantly.

My theory on that shot was with Moe out there was clearly only one person shooting the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by PSACwatcher View Post
                    Seton Hill lost at home to Millersville and West Chester by 30. The Seton Hill players look like they have checked out. Their head coach did them no favors by bringing in not a single recruit that is helping, and zero JUCOs.
                    Looks like he is taking the approach of building from the ground up with only high school recruiting. He will get the chance to do it this way at Seton Hill because there is no pressure to win.

It will just take years. They may be awful next season once Blondin is gone (not that they are remotely good now).

Comment

I don't think there is any chance Grady gets that job moving forward. Which, likely will mean another mass turnover this offseason.

It's hard to promote an assistant who was there for 8 of of the 10 years and worked directly for the guy you just ran out of town. They kept him this year beacause they had to at that point in the season.

I know Grady is nothing like KR. But, guilt by association is a real thing. It's hard to fire a guy for a list of items and then think his top assistant wasn't involved in any of them, too.

SRU will get a lot of good applicants for that job. It would be a great gig for the older-type coach looking for a last stop. It would also be appealing to finding the next Chris Fite type.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                        WOW...That's a BAD play not a good one!!! Passing up not one but two SURE dunks to give the ball to a player further from the basket? Not a wise play no matter how "unselfish" it might appear.
                        Sorry. I meant 6 feet away from him (other side of the bucket) not 6 feet further away from basket. I will say that neither time was the player ready for the pass but they both finished it fine since there was no one near them.

Comment

I highly doubt Grady will be a front runner for the job. A lot of you will be shocked at the possible hire when it happens.

Comment

He has some intensity. You're right, though, he is usually pretty level-headed.

That was a tough game for the players. They know Clarion is a total mismatch and it's the last game before vacation. It's a tough one to coach.

Every time Fite comes up around here it's always ... "yeah, he's the next coach at IUP." That story can be put to bed. Joe's going to coach another 5-10 years in my opinion. It's far too sweet of a gig.

I do think Fite should be a serious target of a lower-level D1 program.

Comment

He was the first choice at his alma mater (Youngstown State) two years ago but didn't pursue the job. They then hired Calhoun out of Fairmont State.

That wasn't the right job. YSU has terrible facilities, no fan support, no tradition and would be a total rebuild. If it can even be done ...

In Calhoun's second year right now they wouldn't even be a Top 25 D2 team. Basketball there gets the treatment it does at SRU. Football is king.

Joe's name will keep coming up every offseason. We forget he was Jamie Dixon's top assistant for many years at Pitt so he does have that D1 experience. However, he isn't getting any younger, either.

IUP has the support and facilities to be a national program every year. They have huge financial support from the community. It's a real sweet gig at this level. It maybe one of the best jobs in D2. I'm not saying that as a fan but just looking at it from above.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                                I highly doubt Grady will be a front runner for the job. A lot of you will be shocked at the possible hire when it happens.
                                Who is getting the job then?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X