Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    The West is going to be pretty strong this year (assuming there is a 'this year').

IUP and Mercyhurst are both loaded up. Both return a ton and also added strong pieces. Both also return a star player who missed last season.

California lost a key transfer for the second straight year but returns a strong core. The Vulcans are solid players 1-5. Players 6-8 will tell the tale.

Gannon is a wild card of sorts. A lot of new faces but it appears they signed a really good class of freshmen and transfers. Lots of size. On paper this looks like some of Kevin Reynold's old teams ... big dudes. The Knights ruffled some feathers last year and had some altercations with Cal and UPJ. This could be the new persona in Erie.

UPJ lost Josh Wise but returns everybody else. Wise is a major loss in that offense as he demanded so much attention. But, UPJ will do what they do -- play smart and fluid. Always a tough out.

Slippery Rock begins the post-Till era. No roster posted yet. Hard to say what to expect here.

As mentioned in the previous post, Edinboro should be much better. It's not likely a roster in contention to win the West, but they will be a much tougher team this year.

Seton Hill is actually back to life. The (essentially) all-freshmen team of a year ago is now all a year older. The Griffins have a nice core in big men Marrek Paola (6'10") and Jimmy Moon (7'0) along with guard Drew Green. Green, my opinion, has star potential as a speedy, 6'5" guard. The two bigs are going to be a twin towers moving forward as they develop. They did a total rebuild last year -- and it was painful. But brighter days are ahead.

Clarion returns the big fella, Godspower (6'10", 280 lbs). He'll get his 20 points and 15 rebounds a game. Will he have much help, though? Mason Mraz returns and is a solid guard. But, the Golden Eagles are very young this year.
    Can't disagree with you with IUP, Hurst and Cal.

Gannon is young and not as talented of a freshman class as you think.

UPJ will still be solid, maybe even more disciplined without the hot headed Wise.

Slippery Rock is a wild card but I'd assume they will lack conditioning as usual.

Edinboro... Keyes and one D1 transfer won't change them that much. Simpson will still do his share of crying!

Seton Hill should be a touch better and still very young.

Clarion, well, they are Clarion.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Can't disagree with you with IUP, Hurst and Cal.

Gannon is young and not as talented of a freshman class as you think.

UPJ will still be solid, maybe even more disciplined without the hot headed Wise.

Slippery Rock is a wild card but I'd assume they will lack conditioning as usual.

Edinboro... Keyes and one D1 transfer won't change them that much. Simpson will still do his share of crying!

Seton Hill should be a touch better and still very young.

Clarion, well, they are Clarion.

The more I look in to Gannon ... hard to say.

I do think Jefferson had a pretty decent first year. Yes, they were only 14-13, but, they were a tough out down the stretch. They had a big win over UPJ, had Joe on the ropes at the KCAC, beat Cal and played Mercyhurst very tough both times.

That said, the three stars of that team ... he inherited from JR -- Johnson, Webb and Cisero. All three are gone now. Johnson and Cisero ran out of eligibility and Webb transferred prior to his senior season. That's a massive amount of production to replace.

I've heard mixed opinions on his two hyped up incoming freshmen guards (Pickens and Herster). Herster said publicly that IUP didn't offer him. Now, consider Joe has owned District 10 in recruiting the past 5 years -- and that Herster played at Joe's alma mater (Kennedy Catholic). So, why wasn't IUP interested in him? I'd like to know the answer.

Back to GU ... the freshmen guards better be as advertised. They may be playing immediately. Jefferson brought in a ton of big dudes. The guards seem a little speculative, however. Questionable guard play will get you killed in the West this year.

Comment

In a very interesting turn of events, Dom Keyes is listed on the Edinboro roster.

He hasn't played in years, but that's potentially a very big signing for the Scots. He's listed as a Junior.

Keyes was highly-recruited coming out of Steel Valley. He played his freshman year at UPJ and then transferred to a MD JUCO. IUP then signed him and, shockingly, redshirted him. The following year he was suspended from the program. Last year he sat out.

If he's still in shape, etc., that's a really good signing. Keyes can play -- particularly on the defensive end (a place Cleary's teams are usually non-existent).

On paper, anyway, Edinboro looks much better than a year ago. Add in Slippery Rock transfer Deontae Robertson along with Niagara transfer Kierell Green and hyped-up freshman Nick Everett ... things are looking up.
        I've been sitting on the Dom Keyes news for quite a while! If he can still play well that's a good class. PC can recruit - guy has terrible luck though. He's had some kids turn into turds or jump ship when things don't go their way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I've been sitting on the Dom Keyes news for quite a while! If he can still play well that's a good class. PC can recruit - guy has terrible luck though. He's had some kids turn into turds or jump ship when things don't go their way.
          So he's not a good recruiter then! That means he's bringing in character issues... THOSE DON'T WIN!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

So he's not a good recruiter then! That means he's bringing in character issues... THOSE DON'T WIN!!!
            I wouldn't say that. Winning cures a lot. if guys aren't happy with playing time, scholarship money, etc they're usually okay with winning.

Comment

I wouldn't say that. Winning cures a lot. if guys aren't happy with playing time, scholarship money, etc they're usually okay with winning.
              To be clear Keyes got tossed from IUP. Check his legal record. He was a good player. We'll see what he has left. He's about 23 or 24 now and hasn't played in years. He's worth a roll of the dice. He's not a 'the man' type player. He'd have fit perfect at a power like IUP as a role player. I wouldn't expect much more.

Comment

To be clear Keyes got tossed from IUP. Check his legal record. He was a good player. We'll see what he has left. He's about 23 or 24 now and hasn't played in years. He's worth a roll of the dice. He's not a 'the man' type player. He'd have fit perfect at a power like IUP as a role player. I wouldn't expect much more.
                Tossed from the team maybe, but possession of a small amount off campus wouldn't get someone tossed from school unless it's Grove City. VC says he left on his own but personal reasons.

Comment

Tossed from the team maybe, but possession of a small amount off campus wouldn't get someone tossed from school unless it's Grove City. VC says he left on his own but personal reasons.
                  He didn't leave on his own. Nobody is leaving Joe to go play for Cleary.

But, that's irrelevant now.
                  Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 10-15-2020, 08:21 PM.

Comment

You're correct. I misread that. 'IUP' didn't toss him. Joe suspended him for a whole season. What happened next (did he leave or did Joe take his scholarship off the table) ... who knows.

Only thing I know for sure is IUP wasted two years of scholarship money on him and he never even dressed for one game.

He never should have redshirted his first year here. But, that's a different discussion.

I'm curious to actually see him play.

Comment

He didn't leave on his own. Nobody is leaving Joe to go play for Cleary.

But, that's irrelevant now.
                      CORRECT!!!

Comment

You're correct. I misread that. 'IUP' didn't toss him. Joe suspended him for a whole season. What happened next (did he leave or did Joe take his scholarship off the table) ... who knows.

Only thing I know for sure is IUP wasted two years of scholarship money on him and he never even dressed for one game.

He never should have redshirted his first year here. But, that's a different discussion.

I'm curious to actually see him play.
                        Joe never saw a recruit he wouldn't redshirt.

Comment

Joe never saw a recruit he wouldn't redshirt.
                          Lol. He loves him some redshirts. Transfers, in particular.

Comment

• Gannon and Mercyhurst are both going to play. Both have issued statements they are working on putting together independent schedules.

Comment

Gannon and Mercyhurst are both going to play. Both have issued statements they are working on putting together independent schedules.
                              How much of a schedule before players are spending eligibility ?

Comment

• So ...

The MEC, CIAA and Presidents' Athletic Conference (Western PA D3) are all going to play.

Yet ... the PSAC is not.

It does, however, seem Clarion, Mercyhurst and Gannon are going to play basketball.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X