Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Haven't seen a final report on Chris Fite's class, but there are sure to be a lot of new faces at Ship, whether freshmen or through the portal. This might be the Raiders' most extensive rebuilding job since his first season.
    It will be odd to see that roster without some of those names on it. Seems like Carter and Sleva were there forever.

It will be interesting to see what approach he took, roster-wise.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It will be odd to see that roster without some of those names on it. Seems like Carter and Sleva were there forever.

It will be interesting to see what approach he took, roster-wise.
      Yeah, the Covid thing seemed to throw our roster out of whack more than most, probably somewhat due to the way Fite builds teams. The loyalty of his players over the years speaks well to his character and usually is a plus, but losing four guys with the experience and talent of last year's core is going to be a real blow. Nedrow had been around a while, too and while certainly not in danger of making any all-conference teams, he was a solid contributor to the team on most nights. And of course you have to throw in Rashon Johnson, one of the better transfers we've had at Ship. I'm sure Fite is spending the summer trying to rope in some badly needed size through the portal. I'm not looking for a banner season in any case, but it could really be a drop if he isn't successful. I'm hoping the recent success of the program and the opportunity for playing time will attract some talent.

Comment

• Looks like Ship women's coach Kristy Trn has put together a pretty strong freshman recruiting class to follow up on the Raiders' NCAA tourney appearance last year. Two of the more intriguing recruits are Alexis Buie of Cedar Cliff High and Bella Chimienti of Central York. Cedar Cliff and Central were the top 6A teams in District 3 the past season, and both made some noise in the playoffs with Central reaching the quarterfinals and Cedar Cliff advancing to the 6A title game. Buie is a younger sister of Boo Buie, a first team All-Big Ten guard at Northwestern and also of former Penn State standout Talor Battle, so there's quite a basketball bloodline there. Farther west, recruits include MJ Laird of Pine Richland and Carly Bennett of (Md.) Fort Hill. The class also includes Mia Johnson of Waldorf, Md. St. Charles.

A good class was needed as the Raiders lost all-time scoring leader Ariel Jones and leading rebounder Lauren Pettis from last year's team. Those two players provided about half of Ship's points and rebounds last season. The makeup this year's recruiting class, three forwards and two guards, should provide some needed height.

Comment

• Ship has put up a 2023-2024 roster, and if it holds up the Raiders will field one of the shortest teams they've put on the floor in quite some time. They picked up the well-traveled Kyle Whippen, who played for Kutztown last year and is listed at 6-9, but after that the height drops all the way down to Markus Frank, who redshirted last year, at 6-4. There are a cluster of 6-3 and 6-2 players on the roster, including Trey Martin, Denzel Figueroa, Satchel Ball, Ty Holsopple, and newcomer Najeh Allen. Jackson Boone, a 6-5 forward from Cumberland Valley was recruited this year, but will take a medical redshirt.

Small guards Ty Crespo and Andrew Recchia, both under 6 feet, saw a lot of action last year and figure to get a good deal of playing time. Crespo, an extremely quick player and big scorer in high school, seemed to come on toward the end of last season and provided instant offense at times. Recchia ran point for the Raiders in most games. Ball and 6-1 Michael Dunn likely will be needed to play defense against bigger guards.

Figueroa showed promise as a freshman and plays bigger than his 6-3 height, which will probably be needed given the average height of the squad. Frank at 6-4 was great around the basket in high school at Conestoga Valley, but is reed thin at 180 pounds.

It'll be a guard-oriented team (10 of the 13 players are listed as guard or guard/forward) that doesn't seem suited to a grinding half-court style. Recchia, Crespo, and Martin, all capable three-point shooters, will have to step up their offense this season in the absence of departed stalwarts Carlos Carter, Rashon Johnson and Dom Sleva. The question to me is whether the squad will be effective defensively against big teams. I'll be interested in seeing if Coach Fite moves to a more uptempo style this season in line with the personnel he has available. Allen, who played in the tough Baltimore Catholic League at Hagerstown St. Maria Goretti, seems to be a good all-around player, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some action as a freshman.

There will be another Sleva on the roster this year, but freshman Drew Sleva at 6-0 is a pocked-sized edition of brothers Dustin and Dom at this point.

Comment

Ship has put up a 2023-2024 roster, and if it holds up the Raiders will field one of the shortest teams they've put on the floor in quite some time. They picked up the well-traveled Kyle Whippen, who played for Kutztown last year and is listed at 6-9, but after that the height drops all the way down to Markus Frank, who redshirted last year, at 6-4. There are a cluster of 6-3 and 6-2 players on the roster, including Trey Martin, Denzel Figueroa, Satchel Ball, Ty Holsopple, and newcomer Najeh Allen. Jackson Boone, a 6-5 forward from Cumberland Valley was recruited this year, but will take a medical redshirt.

Small guards Ty Crespo and Andrew Recchia, both under 6 feet, saw a lot of action last year and figure to get a good deal of playing time. Crespo, an extremely quick player and big scorer in high school, seemed to come on toward the end of last season and provided instant offense at times. Recchia ran point for the Raiders in most games. Ball and 6-1 Michael Dunn likely will be needed to play defense against bigger guards.

Figueroa showed promise as a freshman and plays bigger than his 6-3 height, which will probably be needed given the average height of the squad. Frank at 6-4 was great around the basket in high school at Conestoga Valley, but is reed thin at 180 pounds.

It'll be a guard-oriented team (10 of the 13 players are listed as guard or guard/forward) that doesn't seem suited to a grinding half-court style. Recchia, Crespo, and Martin, all capable three-point shooters, will have to step up their offense this season in the absence of departed stalwarts Carlos Carter, Rashon Johnson and Dom Sleva. The question to me is whether the squad will be effective defensively against big teams. I'll be interested in seeing if Coach Fite moves to a more uptempo style this season in line with the personnel he has available. Allen, who played in the tough Baltimore Catholic League at Hagerstown St. Maria Goretti, seems to be a good all-around player, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some action as a freshman.

There will be another Sleva on the roster this year, but freshman Drew Sleva at 6-0 is a pocked-sized edition of brothers Dustin and Dom at this point.
            Whippen is nowhere close to 6'9". That's hilarious.

That said, he's a decent player. Nice thing is this is his fourth school. You don't have to worry about him transferring after the season.

Comment

Whippen is nowhere close to 6'9". That's hilarious.

That said, he's a decent player. Nice thing is this is his fourth school. You don't have to worry about him transferring after the season.
              I figured that was the old roster ruler thing. Even though he's more likely in the 6-6 or 6-7 range, he'll be the tallest player on the team in any case. Allen is probably the top newcomer, although he'll face the usual freshman adjustment period. He is probably a legitimate 6-2 0r 6-3, but has the wingspan of a much taller player. He looks like a player — has some wheels along with decent hops and can shoot.

Comment

I figured that was the old roster ruler thing. Even though he's more likely in the 6-6 or 6-7 range, he'll be the tallest player on the team in any case. Allen is probably the top newcomer, although he'll face the usual freshman adjustment period. He is probably a legitimate 6-2 0r 6-3, but has the wingspan of a much taller player. He looks like a player — has some wheels along with decent hops and can shoot.

Looking at the roster, wow, that is a tiny lineup. Whippen plays more like a guard than a forward so it makes me wonder how they will handle the big lineups (and, they'll see a lot of them in the East).

Comment

Looking at the roster, wow, that is a tiny lineup. Whippen plays more like a guard than a forward so it makes me wonder how they will handle the big lineups (and, they'll see a lot of them in the East).
                  The worrisome thing to me is that if Whippen or a couple of guys such as Frank and Figueroa get into foul trouble they'll basically be playing all guards, and not particularly big guards at that. And I can't imagine how they'll be able to handle a guy such as IUP's Porterfield. They didn't have a big team last year, but Carter, Johnson, and Sleva to an extent all played bigger than their size. Carter, at 6-6, actually won more opening tip-offs than he lost. And Nedrow, while grounded, had the body type to bang around with the big guys. It's hard to believe they didn't plan to bring in another body or two. Maybe they weren't able to get one. The Cumberland Valley kid is fairly big, but they took him knowing he'd have a medical redshirt this season. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out and what strategy Fite uses this season. It doesn't seem likely you'll see a lot of the grinding halfcourt games at which Ship has often excelled the past few years. For sure this year's team has probably the most uncertain outlook since Fite's first year at the helm. They'd better pray the guys are making three-pointers this season.

Comment

The worrisome thing to me is that if Whippen or a couple of guys such as Frank and Figueroa get into foul trouble they'll basically be playing all guards, and not particularly big guards at that. And I can't imagine how they'll be able to handle a guy such as IUP's Porterfield. They didn't have a big team last year, but Carter, Johnson, and Sleva to an extent all played bigger than their size. Carter, at 6-6, actually won more opening tip-offs than he lost. And Nedrow, while grounded, had the body type to bang around with the big guys. It's hard to believe they didn't plan to bring in another body or two. Maybe they weren't able to get one. The Cumberland Valley kid is fairly big, but they took him knowing he'd have a medical redshirt this season. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out and what strategy Fite uses this season. It doesn't seem likely you'll see a lot of the grinding halfcourt games at which Ship has often excelled the past few years. For sure this year's team has probably the most uncertain outlook since Fite's first year at the helm. They'd better pray the guys are making three-pointers this season.

You guys had a very good rebounding team last year. Sleva and Nedrow, while not the typical 6'8" or so, were physically strong and hard to move around. Carter and Johnson could jump out of the gym.

Historically in the PSAC some of the best 'forwards' have actually been more in the 6'6" or 6"7" range and upward of 225 lbs -- most were deemed 'too small' to play in D1.

There's been exceptions up in that 6'9" range (the older Sleva, Cobo, Porterfield, etc.) but typically when the 6'9" (or taller) guys end up in D2 they have some serious flaws (and typically weigh about 185 lbs).

Comment

You guys had a very good rebounding team last year. Sleva and Nedrow, while not the typical 6'8" or so, were physically strong and hard to move around. Carter and Johnson could jump out of the gym.

Historically in the PSAC some of the best 'forwards' have actually been more in the 6'6" or 6"7" range and upward of 225 lbs -- most were deemed 'too small' to play in D1.

There's been exceptions up in that 6'9" range (the older Sleva, Cobo, Porterfield, etc.) but typically when the 6'9" (or taller) guys end up in D2 they have some serious flaws (and typically weigh about 185 lbs).
                      Well, we've been spoiled by Fite's effective recruiting the past few years. While he obviously hasn't been able to have the overall success of IUP, he has brought in some of the most exciting players in the PSAC over the past 6-7 years and losing that 2016 regional final after blowing out higher-seeded West Liberty and Virginia State in the tourney still gnaws at me. When that team was hitting on all cylinders they could've competed with anyone in the country. But unless some of the young guys really step up their game this season we could be in trouble. And with the way the transfer portal works now you don't even want to think about having a mediocre season. Fite has won over the years with a strategy of effective three-point shooting combined with stingy halfcourt defense. They have some kids who are capable of hitting the 3s this season, but I just don't see where the defense will come from.

Comment

• On academic front -

https://shipraiders.com/news/2023/7/...emic-year.aspx

4 from Ship ladies squad & 1 from Ship men’s.

Comment

• This is a different honor roll - with the 4 from Ship ladies & 1 from men’s side . Ship well represented . Congrats to all athletes .

https://shipraiders.com/news/2023/8/...nt-awards.aspx

Comment

• ESU will have 7 new players including 5 Freshmen and 2 transfers. Cam Young is a 6'7" Forward who played at Bowling Green and St. Peter's. He has 2 years of eligibility left, and will be a solid replacement for Carlos Pepin. Jaheim Bethea from IUP played in 19 games last year, and will more than likely be the starting PG.

Comment

Small ballclub. And even in recruiting and redshirting Jackson Boone, he's more of a swingman. They're probably going to have to slip some more playing time to Ty Holsopple, who is a grinder and plodder but can get off the ground at 6-3. He would always show off some dunking prowess in pregame drills.

This team absolutely has to be money from outside the arc to contend in the conference this time. And even then, I agree with Ship69 that they're not well-equipped to defend any wide bodies inside.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

Small ballclub. And even in recruiting and redshirting Jackson Boone, he's more of a swingman. They're probably going to have to slip some more playing time to Ty Holsopple, who is a grinder and plodder but can get off the ground at 6-3. He would always show off some dunking prowess in pregame drills.

This team absolutely has to be money from outside the arc to contend in the conference this time. And even then, I agree with Ship69 that they're not well-equipped to defend any wide bodies inside.
                                Yeah, I was figuring we might see more of Holsopple as he's about the only guy on the roster with any bulk. It certainly will be interesting to see how they play things this season.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X