Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloom has 6 newcomers and hopefully someone can help; that makes 18 on the roster. Most likely newcomer to help:
    DJ Gordon (Pittsburgh, Pa./First Love Christian Academy)

The 6'5 junior from Pittsburgh joins the Huskies after spending two seasons at the D1 level. Gordon transfers from Jacksonville State after spending his freshman year at Penn State. He was a finalist for the Mr. Pennsylvania Basketball award in 2020 at First Love Christian Academy.

Coaches Statement: "We are very excited about DJ and his future as a Husky. DJ is a natural scorer with elite size, athleticism, and skill. He is dynamic, energetic, and versatile. He will be great in our style of play and have an immediate impact in this conference."

https://buhuskies.com/news/2023/8/29...ing-class.aspx

Comment

• As Ship said, they're missing the boat picking Mansfield last. With Woodring and the Alis, they'll be a handful for just about everyone they run up against.

Comment

• After viewing a scrimmage at Shippensburg this week, I feel a lot better about the upcoming season. You're definitely going to see Chris Fite's team go to a different style this season as he's going to play to what his personnel dictates and go more uptempo. One indication is that they scored 92 and 85 points in their first two scrimmages. I'm certainly not predicting conference honors or anything like it as a lot of these guys will be starters for the first time and are still learning to mesh. And an early schedule that includes a trip to W.Va. to face West Liberty and Wheeling, followed by games against maybe the best three teams in the PSAC West — IUP, Cal, and Slippery Rock — probably ensures a few bumps in the road in November and December.

But the uptempo style really seems suited to the kids Ship now has. Transfers Kyle Whippen and Kamau Mitchell both seem to be fitting in, and former Quaker Valley star Markus Frank, who redshirted last year, seems to have bulked up a bit and showed a knack for getting to the basket. Junior guard Ty Crespo, who was coming on at the end of last year, is short (5-9) but very quick and was constantly getting out on the break. I think he made 10 of 10 free throws in the scrimmage, and I'll be surprised if he doesn't average double figures this season. Guard Mike Dunn, who was up-and-down last season, drained three straight 3s in the second half of the scrimmage, and looks more like the kid who had a solid freshman season two years ago. Fite played every available player during the scrimmage, and with this style it really looks as if he'll be able to go 9-10 deep without falling off the cliff.

All three freshmen (Najeh Allen, Jackson Boone, and Drew Sleva) are going to be redshirted this season. Boone is getting a medical redshirt. The other two are likely getting shirted because there are so many guards on the team and it is unlikely they would have gotten much playing time this year

Also, it appears Ship will be getting some help at midseason with a transfer from D1 Niagara.

Whatever the results, the Raiders will be fun to watch this year, and I suspect they will be a team opponents won't want to overlook, especially after the first few weeks of the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
          As Ship said, they're missing the boat picking Mansfield last. With Woodring and the Alis, they'll be a handful for just about everyone they run up against.
          Having seen that team in person twice last season, I'll be shocked if they have 10 wins this year...

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Having seen that team in person twice last season, I'll be shocked if they have 10 wins this year...
            They won six games last year and lost six others by five points or less. They have everyone back from what was a very young team last season, so unless there is no improvement at all I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they won 10 games or more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

They won six games last year and lost six others by five points or less. They have everyone back from what was a very young team last season, so unless there is no improvement at all I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they won 10 games or more.
              I see Idris Ali is back. He went in to the portal after last year.

I'm surprised he didn't get more interest.

Comment

• Ship already looks much better today. The faster pace they're trying out looks pretty good tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
                  Ship already looks much better today. The faster pace they're trying out looks pretty good tonight.
                  They're a work in progress. One thing that makes fans nervous about playing this way is that you can build a big lead very quickly, but lose it just as quickly. I'm sure Coach Fite, who is used to playing a more controlled game, is going to pick up a few more gray hairs this season.

Comment

• ESU Men are 2-0 after to 80+ point performances on the road!. Women look to go 2-0 tomorrow! A great start to the season so far!

Comment

• I'm not big into predictions, but I think Ty Crespo is going to score a few points for Ship this season. He was a standout scorer in HS and seemed to be coming on the end of last season. Against Wheeling Saturday night he scored 25 points in 28 minutes by going 9-of-10 from the field, hitting both his three-point attempts, and making 5-of-6 from the fT line. We might also hear a few things from CC transfer Kamau Mitchell as he adjusts to playing at the D2 level.

Comment

• Crespo is going to score quite a bit. We saw it coming late last year.

I predict these guys are going to get much better after the holidays when Donovan Hill hits the floor.

Comment

Crespo is going to score quite a bit. We saw it coming late last year.

I predict these guys are going to get much better after the holidays when Donovan Hill hits the floor.
                          He should fit right in.

Comment

• I really never considered the possibility of Ty Holsopple being part of the rotation, but he's gotten quality minutes tonight. He does hustle his butt off; I just never thought of him as anything other than a practice pounder.

Comment

I really never considered the possibility of Ty Holsopple being part of the rotation, but he's gotten quality minutes tonight. He does hustle his butt off; I just never thought of him as anything other than a practice pounder.
                              They needed him tonight. Saw Denzel Figueroa on the sideline with an ankle boot. Hope he isn't out long. They could have used his rebounding and defense tonight.

Comment

• Make it 3-0 for ESU's Men. Lakeem McAliley scored 19 points, 17 in the 2nd half to lead the Warriors to a 79-62 win at Molloy. They started the game with an 8-0 run, and opened the 2nd half with a 12-2 run. 9 players scored with each scoring at least 6 points.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X