Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

They aren't showing Moore on the 2021-22 roster. Familiar faces on the roster include Jake Biss, Carlos Carter, Kiyon Hardy, Dom Sleva, and Luke Nedrow. They have a couple of community college guys, Rashon Johnson and Mamadou Toure, coming in. Of course about half the roster are freshmen or redshirt freshmen. As coach pointed out, some of the redshirt guys will be entering their third year at Ship without seeing a minute of playing time so far. I'm sure this is the case at most of the PSAC schools.
    I think they're pretty hyped about the year ahead. And I believe Fite has reached the point where he reloads rather than rebuilds.

That's an awfully solid starting five, if they have some bench behind it.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

I think they're pretty hyped about the year ahead. And I believe Fite has reached the point where he reloads rather than rebuilds.

That's an awfully solid starting five, if they have some bench behind it.
      Depth will be the key. The early schedule is pretty brutal. They have the usual cast of Bowie State, CIAA teams, plus the predicted top four teams in the PSAC West, including a road junket to Pitt-Johnstown and Indiana and a home weekend with Gannon and Mercyhurst. IUP and Mercyhurst have obviously loaded up and there are several solid teams in the East such as East Stroud, West Chester, and possibly Millersville. It's possible Ship could have a good team and still have several losses by January. At least we'll know early what they have. I'm anxious to see how the transfers and redshirt guys will fit in with the experienced core group.

Comment

Depth will be the key. The early schedule is pretty brutal. They have the usual cast of Bowie State, CIAA teams, plus the predicted top four teams in the PSAC West, including a road junket to Pitt-Johnstown and Indiana and a home weekend with Gannon and Mercyhurst. IUP and Mercyhurst have obviously loaded up and there are several solid teams in the East such as East Stroud, West Chester, and possibly Millersville. It's possible Ship could have a good team and still have several losses by January. At least we'll know early what they have. I'm anxious to see how the transfers and redshirt guys will fit in with the experienced core group.
        In that group behind the starters are some of those guys who haven't played since their senior HS years in 2019. And they have some backups with nice resumes in Andrew Recchia (Mars), Geoffrey Helm (Greensburg CC) and Ty Crespo (Manheim Twp.)

We'll have to see if they've lost anything from the inactivity.

Comment

In that group behind the starters are some of those guys who haven't played since their senior HS years in 2019. And they have some backups with nice resumes in Andrew Recchia (Mars), Geoffrey Helm (Greensburg CC) and Ty Crespo (Manheim Twp.)

Comment

• They did get a little bigger in recruiting 6-8 Gavin Donley, but I saw him several times in high school and think he might be a redshirt candidate. I don't believe he's anywhere near Nedrow in the physicality department.

Comment

They did get a little bigger in recruiting 6-8 Gavin Donley, but I saw him several times in high school and think he might be a redshirt candidate. I don't believe he's anywhere near Nedrow in the physicality department.
              Coaches like his size, but realize he'll need some work. The PSAC is a big step up in competition from Boiling Springs.

Comment

Coaches like his size, but realize he'll need some work. The PSAC is a big step up in competition from Boiling Springs.
                Typically over the years I've noticed that most 6'8" post players who end up in D2 as true freshmen weigh about 170 lbs. The height is nice but they get physically mauled not to mention the giant jump in the speed of the game. That redshirt year lets them bulk up, etc.

The other part of the transition is they go from usually being the biggest kid on the floor at 6'8" to now being just another 6'8" guy on the floor.

Comment

Fite landed a much bigger fish today in Donley's Boiling Springs teammate, Trey Martin. He'll arrive next September.

Martin is a 6-4 guard, a pure shooter and one of the better backcourt guys in the state.

And actually, the Mid-Penn Colonial is in such an upswing with Shippensburg, Northern and Boiling Springs, it's better right now than quite a few big-school divisions/conferences.

Comment

Fite landed a much bigger fish today in Donley's Boiling Springs teammate, Trey Martin. He'll arrive next September.

Martin is a 6-4 guard, a pure shooter and one of the better backcourt guys in the state.

And actually, the Mid-Penn Colonial is in such an upswing with Shippensburg, Northern and Boiling Springs, it's better right now than quite a few big-school divisions/conferences.
                    Have a feeling you must live not far from me. From what I'm hearing, the folks at Waynesboro think their team won't be bad this year. Football team was pretty good.

Comment

Have a feeling you must live not far from me. From what I'm hearing, the folks at Waynesboro think their team won't be bad this year. Football team was pretty good.
                      Yes, they have some talent.

The thing that some might not see coming is that Shippensburg High has every chance of going really deep in the state tournament. Last year, they lost at the buzzer to Lower Dauphin in the district semis and their season was done like that. And they probably would have given Erie Prep a better battle than LD did in the state semifinals.

Well, they still have two D-I talents in the lineup -- Minnesota football commit Anthony Smith and mid-major prospect Jayden Statum at point guard. A third starter, Jeremy Thomas, has PSAC-level talent.

They are absolutely loaded.

Comment

Yes, they have some talent.

The thing that some might not see coming is that Shippensburg High has every chance of going really deep in the state tournament. Last year, they lost at the buzzer to Lower Dauphin in the district semis and their season was done like that. And they probably would have given Erie Prep a better battle than LD did in the state semifinals.

Well, they still have two D-I talents in the lineup -- Minnesota football commit Anthony Smith and mid-major prospect Jayden Statum at point guard. A third starter, Jeremy Thomas, has PSAC-level talent.

They are absolutely loaded.
                        Yeah, Shippensburg High has had some decent teams over the years, but they seem to be in the midst of one of those streaks a high school runs into once in a while when everything comes together at once. It's always something to enjoy while it lasts as high school athletes are only around for a limited time.

Looked at some of Martin's highlights. He does have a nice stroke.

Comment

Waiting for the CIAA/PSAC Challenge at Kutztown!

Comment

• Ship had an intra-squad scrimmage today, and I'm told that freshman Michael Dunn from Moon and former Simon Gratz "tweener" Rashon Johnson are part of a 7-8 man rotation with the five veterans.

Dom Sleva has apparently bulked up considerably, which they needed to provide inside support for Nedrow.

Comment

• I just heard that the Home Office is mandating that their announcing crews must be masked inside the arenas.

That's the type of overkill that has given the term "woke" a negative connotation.

Comment

I just heard that the Home Office is mandating that their announcing crews must be masked inside the arenas.

That's the type of overkill that has given the term "woke" a negative connotation.
                                About as bad as football teams not being allowed to shake hands.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X