Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=Ship69;n644722

As for Stitzel, I have yet to see a Millersville game where the guy wasn't livid. He's a basket case.[/QUOTE]

I know it's early, but do we have a group of 2-3 PSAC coaches most likely to win the Temper TanTrum TiTle for the Most Ts in the season ???

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

I know it's early, but do we have a group of 2-3 PSAC coaches most likely to win the Temper TanTrum TiTle for the Most Ts in the season ???
      I don't have enough of a sample size. I know Fite's pretty calm. And I know Stitzel's pretty wild.

Comment

Sancomb was pretty bad in the IUP game.

So bad, in fact, I think it hurt his own team.

If that game was in Indiana he'd have likely been ejected.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

I don't have enough of a sample size. I know Fite's pretty calm. And I know Stitzel's pretty wild.
          Fite does generally keep his cool. I do get a kick of how he'll occasionally give the refs an impromptu demonstration of footwork or blocking out on the sidelines if he feels his guys have gotten a bad call. Of course coaches tend to get more nervous as pressure mounts. I remember watching John Chaney coaching Cheyney State and once interviewed him postgame. He was generally subdued at Cheyney, but got a heckuva lot more demonstrative on the sidelines when he reached the Division I spotlight at Temple.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Sancomb was pretty bad in the IUP game.

So bad, in fact, I think it hurt his own team.

If that game was in Indiana he'd have likely been ejected.
            Oddly, PSAC keeps pretty complete stats, including attendance, but I can not find any listing of fouls, regular or technical, team or individual, any where. There is a list of top 20 games with most fouls but that means nothing. What's being hidden ??

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Fite does generally keep his cool. I do get a kick of how he'll occasionally give the refs an impromptu demonstration of footwork or blocking out on the sidelines if he feels his guys have gotten a bad call. Of course coaches tend to get more nervous as pressure mounts. I remember watching John Chaney coaching Cheyney State and once interviewed him postgame. He was generally subdued at Cheyney, but got a heckuva lot more demonstrative on the sidelines when he reached the Division I spotlight at Temple.
              I interviewed Chaney a time or two at Heiges, too. It was like taking a master's course in basketball.

Comment

Oddly, PSAC keeps pretty complete stats, including attendance, but I can not find any listing of fouls, regular or technical, team or individual, any where. There is a list of top 20 games with most fouls but that means nothing. What's being hidden ??
                Every school has its own statistician, each with their own way of doing things. For example, look at recent box scores. Some have the officials listed, while others don't. I visit 5 or 6 different press boxes each season, and there's always a few things that are done differently at each location.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Every school has its own statistician, each with their own way of doing things. For example, look at recent box scores. Some have the officials listed, while others don't. I visit 5 or 6 different press boxes each season, and there's always a few things that are done differently at each location.
                  The importance of a team's fouls per game and/or total fouls to date seems like a stat that should be kept just like turnovers and FTs attempted/made. Certainly would help game planning. Oh well, can't have everything.

Comment

The importance of a team's fouls per game and/or total fouls to date seems like a stat that should be kept just like turnovers and FTs attempted/made. Certainly would help game planning. Oh well, can't have everything.
                    You can find it you want to go through each individual box. Look under PF.

Comment

You can find it you want to go through each individual box. Look under PF.
                      The point I was trying to make was that this significant stat, in combination with TO and FT shooting, can tell a coach whether going inside against a foul prone team vs shooting 3s against that team, makes sense. Or even to what degree one game site is called tightly or not. Just seems odd that it's not listed with all other centralized stats. No big deal.

Comment

The point I was trying to make was that this significant stat, in combination with TO and FT shooting, can tell a coach whether going inside against a foul prone team vs shooting 3s against that team, makes sense. Or even to what degree one game site is called tightly or not. Just seems odd that it's not listed with all other centralized stats. No big deal.
                        Coaches watch film so they don't get misled by stats, which can be very misleading. Exactly what stat are you not finding and for which team?
                        Last edited by WarriorVoice; 01-09-2022, 05:46 PM.

Comment

It's not the site it's the assigned crew.

The PSAC has some just awful officiating crews. There is no consistency from one crew to the next.

We have one crew in particular that wants to be the show. They call every possible foul. We have another crew who let's them pound each other for 40 minutes and hardly calls anything.

It's a tough job but the disparity from crew to crew is absurd..

I can tell how the game will go as soon as I see the officials in warm-ups.

Our crews are also getting too old. These guys can't keep up and as a result make obstructed calls from 25' away. The game is too fast for most of these refs.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Coaches watch film so they don't get misled by stats, which can be very misleading. Exactly what stat are you not finding and for which team?
                            Fouls by team and per game. Stats can absolutely be misleading, except when they reveal a fundamental issue. #1 scorer in the league is the VULCANS Phil Alston @ 20.1. Also #10 in FG% @ .530. The film confirms his game is inside. Quick glance at his stats tells you he's a liability at the line. In 12 games he's taken 66 FT or about 5.5 per game and made 41or 3.5 per game. WCU is the only team to exploit this to steal a W at the A DOME, 92-90. He scored 29, but they sent him to the line for 17 attempts of which he made 11. Yes the PF stats can be pulled up team by team but I can't figure why that stat is missing from the PSAC chart. As I said, my own personal issue.

Comment

The PSAC has some just awful officiating crews. There is no consistency from one crew to the next.

We have one crew in particular that wants to be the show. They call every possible foul. We have another crew who let's them pound each other for 40 minutes and hardly calls anything.

Our crews are also getting too old. These guys can't keep up and as a result make obstructed calls from 25' away. The game is too fast for most of these refs.
                              The quality and consistency of the crews is absolutely out of the coaches hands aside from whatever post game reporting they do and how much anyone pays attention. Glaring statistical anomalies can give valuable insight into how to play a game. 9-1 VULCANS WBB is top scoring average, top scoring defense and top margin. #3 FG % but #14 3PT % tells you to pack it inside and dare them to beat you from the arc. Their only loss @ Bloom did just that and held them to 17-53 from inside and let them bomb away for 2-17 from 3 resulting in a 59-58 OT W for the HUSKIES. Chasing VULCANS shooters at the arc is a waste of energy. In the end I don't know if any coaching staff digs this deep into stats so this may just be for my personal amusement.

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X