Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They are pretty close now. Wasn't always the case lol.

I'd say Joe's top annoyances of all time:

1. Kevin Reynolds - While KR never won in Indiana (nor has SRU since 1991), KR got some big wins against Joe in Morrow. His antics need no explanation.

2. Danny Sancomb - Quietest, softest-speaking guy around off the court. Most annoying (and biggest cry baby) on it.

3. Damien Blair - These two go it every game. If they played more often, this would be quite a show. It was a tight stretch for a bit. Joe's won 6-7 in a row now in the series.

4. Gary Manchel - I think these two spent so long hating each other that they actually started to like one another. Ten years ago this was the most awkward pre-game chit-chat you could watch. Of course, Joe was vocal about not wanting Gannon and Mercyhurst in the PSAC, so that probably didn't help.
    5. Trey Staunch LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

5. Trey Staunch LOL
      Is he still working at Cal? Last I saw he was the assistant SID (or whatever they call that position nowadays)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

5. Trey Staunch LOL
        He didn’t annoy Joe. He annoyed Dante Lombardi!
        Last edited by IUPalum; 03-31-2023, 07:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

He does don’t annoy Joe. He annoyed Dante Lombardi!
          When Dante was a sophomore, that was Joe's most unlikable team ever. Hell, I didn't even like them. That team got in more 'tussles' that season than probably all of Joe's other teams combined.

Remember Ayron Hutton would start all that crap every game and then the other team would go after Dante. Of course, younger Dante was quite mouthy, too.

I can still remember seeing Dante go airborne after being decked by Staunch and also Micah Till (the two biggest dudes in the league). lol

Comment

When Dante was a sophomore, that was Joe's most unlikable team ever. Hell, I didn't even like them. That team got in more 'tussles' that season than probably all of Joe's other teams combined.

Remember Ayron Hutton would start all that crap every game and then the other team would go after Dante. Of course, younger Dante was quite mouthy, too.

I can still remember seeing Dante go airborne after being decked by Staunch and also Micah Till (the two biggest dudes in the league). lol
            Dante certainly had a reputation, but do you think teams went after him as a kind of analog to Joe? In other words, teams that were frustrated at being handled by IUP under Joe's regime, would they go after Dante because it was the closest thing to taking a shot at Joe himself? Or do you think it was legitimately about wanting to shut up a mouthy kid? (Just a little armchair psychology on your Friday morning).

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Dante certainly had a reputation, but do you think teams went after him as a kind of analog to Joe? In other words, teams that were frustrated at being handled by IUP under Joe's regime, would they go after Dante because it was the closest thing to taking a shot at Joe himself? Or do you think it was legitimately about wanting to shut up a mouthy kid? (Just a little armchair psychology on your Friday morning).
              My opinion, no, he brought it all on himself.

To his credit, he matured a lot as a player his last two years. But, those first two years (the second in particular) ... he had it coming for sure. Dante was a great three-point shooter. The nights he was on, he could really light it up (from NBA range). And, of course, he'd let you know about it.

Dante was listed at 6'0 but that was a pipe dream. He may have been 5'10" at best. He took some serious shots from Staunch and Till. To put that in perspective, Till played TE at NC State prior to landing at SRU. Staunch was an All-PSAC defensive lineman prior to joining the basketball team. Those weren't small dudes.

Comment

1. Kevin Reynolds - While KR never won in Indiana (nor has SRU since 1991), KR got some big wins against Joe in Morrow. His antics need no explanation.

2. Danny Sancomb - Quietest, softest-speaking guy around off the court. Most annoying (and biggest cry baby) on it.

3. Damien Blair - These two go it every game. If they played more often, this would be quite a show. It was a tight stretch for a bit. Joe's won 6-7 in a row now in the series.

4. Gary Manchel - I think these two spent so long hating each other that they actually started to like one another. Ten years ago this was the most awkward pre-game chit-chat you could watch. Of course, Joe was vocal about not wanting Gannon and Mercyhurst in the PSAC, so that probably didn't help.
                Damien has a way of getting under people's skin at times. I don't know what when on when Ship played out there in the 2021-22 season, but that's about as upset as I've ever seen Chris Fite get during a basketball game. I guarantee that if Millersville was in your division Casey Stitzel woiuld be high on your list. He's a real piece of work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Damien has a way of getting under people's skin at times. I don't know what when on when Ship played out there in the 2021-22 season, but that's about as upset as I've ever seen Chris Fite get during a basketball game. I guarantee that if Millersville was in your division Casey Stitzel woiuld be high on your list. He's a real piece of work.
                  I know you guys have a thing with Stitzel. I've never seen it in the 4-5 games IUP has played them recently. To me, he just seems like most every other coach. I guess being division games you see him much more often.

Of course, we've had so many flamboyant coaches in the West the past 20-30 years maybe we've just grown accustomed to it.

Comment

Is he still working at Cal? Last I saw he was the assistant SID (or whatever they call that position nowadays)?
                    No he's assistant SID at Robert Morris.

Comment

I know you guys have a thing with Stitzel. I've never seen it in the 4-5 games IUP has played them recently. To me, he just seems like most every other coach. I guess being division games you see him much more often.

Of course, we've had so many flamboyant coaches in the West the past 20-30 years maybe we've just grown accustomed to it.
                      Maybe he's been better behaved at IUP. In our games he's the most consistent ref-baiter I see in our division, and he's constantly straying onto the court (which the refs need to police more). He also has a sort of constant two-handed wave of dismissal gesture at calls, etc., when things don't go his way that is extremely annoying. It could be a personality thing with me, but I find him much more irritating than Damien or any of the other coaches in our division. The guy at Shepherd is something of a hot dog.

Comment

Sooo...Almost anyone who has success against Joe makes it into his sh!t list??

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Well, in fairness Lombardi has beaten most of these guys like a drum in recent years outside of Manchel.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I didn't call it his sh!t list. As a fan, those are the coaches he's had the most 'engagements' with over the years.

To be fair, the guys on that list have altercations with most. Not to mention his record against all of them is lopsided.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Well, in fairness Lombardi has beaten most of these guys like a drum in recent years outside of Manchel.
                              What's funny is IUP has owned the Mercyhurst series of late. Joe's 15-5 against them in the last 20.

One of the losses, of course, came on the big stage, but Joe also beat them twice in the PSAC title game during that stretch.

Comment

• WL’s Vidan Dronjak in the portal

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X