Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post

D3 athletes still sign a Letter of Intent when they commit to a school - it's more of a general commitment to the school than to an athletic team.

D3 schools are some of the most "crooked" schools there are when it comes to finding ways to "help" athletes. Biggest case is when an athlete is a team sport manager - they get a good chunk of change toward tuition for it and never set foot near the team or their events. (not saying this is all cases, but definitely the majority vs. minority).
    They're not offering any financial aid simply because he's an athlete. Coaches can only offer a guaranteed roster spot similar to a PWO. Most privates offer financial aid through discounting from the sticker price like a car dealership. If you look, its all guaranteed by tiered academic qualifiers. The football coach can offer Danny a 45% discount on that sticker price because Little Danny would get that same price if he were a NARP. D3 kids can get all the same free team gear players get at D1 and D2, preferred housing and scheduling, and maybe some extra aid based on financial need that would also be available to him if he were not an athlete. Its fake "money" and why PASSHE can't play this game. Unless its a "fee waiver" all scholarships from the school are somebody else's charitable donation.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      It's interesting the number of players continuing to enter the portal on a daily basis. Many of these players' teams played their last game 6-7 weeks ago.

I suppose in some instances said team signed a new transfer and the snowball effect is the returning player sees the writing on the wall (i.e. one comes in and one goes out). Many players get 'cut' or have their scholarship pulled (i.e. Lombardi cleaning house). I'd just have to assume the top wave of players enter immediately (or very close) after their last game of the season.

Demetrius Mims from Gannon is a perfect example. Gannon's season ended at the end of February. He just went in this week (a couple weeks after his coach was canned and a couple days before GU named its new coach). Odd timing. Add to it all his teammates went in weeks ago. His phone is likely blowing up regardless.

I've also noticed far fewer basketball players flaunt offers on social media compared to football players -- especially at the D2 level. For instance, I know of at least 5 transfer players who have visited IUP in the past three weeks. Surely at least 3 of them got actual offers while here. Yet, not one has made a single comment on social media. I almost wonder if the offer comes with a non-disclosure of sorts.
      While I'm sure it happens from time to time, I don't think many DII transfers would flaunt an offer from another DII and certainly a D1 "stepping down" to a DII would not be terribly interested in making a big public announcement on Social Media.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

While I'm sure it happens from time to time, I don't think many DII transfers would flaunt an offer from another DII and certainly a D1 "stepping down" to a DII would not be terribly interested in making a big public announcement on Social Media.
        They should be. More than half of these jackasses in the portal aren't going to find a new home and will be done with basketball.

Comment

Either VC is a little behind or it took a long time for Mims to get cleared to transfer because his departure plan was known in mid-March.
          Keep in mind VC isn't the 'portal'. It's a web site that lists known transfers. The actual portal isn't public.

They do a good job. There's just so many it's hard to get them all.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They should be. More than half of these jackasses in the portal aren't going to find a new home and will be done with basketball.
            We have a love for DII that most players, even those already at a DII, don't have. Very few HS players have a burning desire in their soul to play at a DII. Sure there may be some legacy players OR players who grew up in the college town that might have such a desire, but those are rare. HS players that play DII are here because a D1 didn't offer them.

Comment

We have a love for DII that most players, even those already at a DII, don't have. Very few HS players have a burning desire in their soul to play at a DII. Sure there may be some legacy players OR players who grew up in the college town that might have such a desire, but those are rare. HS players that play DII are here because a D1 didn't offer them.
              Accurate assessment for most d2 programs. Elite programs have players who had offers from lower d1 schools but chose the d2 school for various reasons. Hudgins of nwmsu had walk on offer at power 5 school as a hs senior. Spadafora had offers from st. Francis and VMI and some military academies, if memory serves me from a hs interview.

Comment

• Nova’s Kobe Rodgers to the portal

Comment

• Originally posted by Layton View Post
                  Nova’s Kobe Rodgers to the portal
                  Kobe, take the next canoe out of ft. Lauderdale and join other ohio guys at wlu!

Comment

• Jason Murphy, Frostburg's talented big, is transferring to a D1. If I recall, he came to Frostburg from a mid-major D1 and is heading back to a mid-major D1. Big loss for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Layton View Post
                      Nova’s Kobe Rodgers to the portal
                      Wonder if the timing with Jordan Fee leaving for Gannon is a coinsidense?

Comment

Wonder if the timing with Jordan Fee leaving for Gannon is a coinsidense?
                        I don't think.

Why would any player leave Ft. Lauderdale for Erie and a total rebuild?

Seems from his social media he's planning to move up.

Comment

• considering it is going to be a brand new team this season, I could see him getting a player or 2 to transfer from Nova (especially if he directly recruited them)... however, i think that is a very, very, very slim chance. But with a brand new team, promises of a team being built around/for you - that idea could sway a kid regardless of their situation.

Comment

• big shocker... Jaedan Jefferson entered portal from Gannon... can't believe he wouldn't stay... ha ha

Comment

considering it is going to be a brand new team this season, I could see him getting a player or 2 to transfer from Nova (especially if he directly recruited them)... however, i think that is a very, very, very slim chance. But with a brand new team, promises of a team being built around/for you - that idea could sway a kid regardless of their situation.
                              and the chances are even slimmer since the other NOVA transfer is going to Memphis U...

Comment

big shocker... Jaedan Jefferson entered portal from Gannon... can't believe he wouldn't stay... ha ha
                                Community college or nothing for this kid.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X