Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    It's interesting the number of players continuing to enter the portal on a daily basis. Many of these players' teams played their last game 6-7 weeks ago.

I suppose in some instances said team signed a new transfer and the snowball effect is the returning player sees the writing on the wall (i.e. one comes in and one goes out). Many players get 'cut' or have their scholarship pulled (i.e. Lombardi cleaning house). I'd just have to assume the top wave of players enter immediately (or very close) after their last game of the season.

Demetrius Mims from Gannon is a perfect example. Gannon's season ended at the end of February. He just went in this week (a couple weeks after his coach was canned and a couple days before GU named its new coach). Odd timing. Add to it all his teammates went in weeks ago. His phone is likely blowing up regardless.

I've also noticed far fewer basketball players flaunt offers on social media compared to football players -- especially at the D2 level. For instance, I know of at least 5 transfer players who have visited IUP in the past three weeks. Surely at least 3 of them got actual offers while here. Yet, not one has made a single comment on social media. I almost wonder if the offer comes with a non-disclosure of sorts.
    What's really funny is when a player says they got an "offer" from a D3 school. So what is that D3 school really offering if there are no scholarships at the D3 level? Maybe a hey, we'll let you try out for our team once your here.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

What's really funny is when a player says they got an "offer" from a D3 school. So what is that D3 school really offering if there are no scholarships at the D3 level? Maybe a hey, we'll let you try out for our team once your here.
      Who doesn't want to pay $65,000 a year to play hoops at Gettysburg?

Comment

Make no mistake, D3's find ways to get $'s to players they want. They have all sorts of "diversity," economic hardship, organazation membership, etc schollys that somehow, players seem to be the only students that get.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Make no mistake, D3's find ways to get $'s to players they want. They have all sorts of "diversity," economic hardship, organazation membership, etc schollys that somehow, players seem to be the only students that get.

There are certainly some studs down in D3. IUP is recruiting one right now (former D2 player who became a D3 All-American and is now a grad transfer).

Joe chased one last year but he signed with a D2 beach school in Florida instead. He averaged 16 or 17 ppg game in D2 this past season (albeit on a crappy team).

Many D3's tend (not always) to be more esteemed academic schools (locally i.e. The Presidents' Athletic Conference in Western Pa).

Comment

The only people paying $65,000 a year for Gettysburg are international students and someone like the Briere kid who probably qualifies for no academic discount and Daddy has the money to pay cash.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

The only people paying $65,000 a year for Gettysburg are international students and someone like the Briere kid who probably qualifies for no academic discount and Daddy has the money to pay cash.
              I'd guess a lot of their (non-athlete) student body falls in to the latter half. Love the town ... but, it's a pretty 'stuffy' campus. There's a whole lot of 'Briere types' there.

Comment

I'd guess a lot of their (non-athlete) student body falls in to the latter half. Love the town ... but, it's a pretty 'stuffy' campus. There's a whole lot of 'Briere types' there.
                Yep. But the average discount is 48% of that $65k. They also have a decent endowment - over $300M. I wonder if they attract folks of a certain proclivity being the alma mater of Ron Paul.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Yep. But the average discount is 48% of that $65k. They also have a decent endowment - over $300M. I wonder if they attract folks of a certain proclivity being the alma mater of Ron Paul.
                  I always got the impression they take a lot of the wealthy/elite children from the Northeast who perhaps couldn't get in to the Ivy's, etc. They think it's an Ivy League school ... that's for sure. There is certainly a lot of coin there. My friend went there as an athlete (and good student) but he was from a very middle class family. He said it was challenging to blend in with the above-mentioned types.

Comment

I always got the impression they take a lot of the wealthy/elite children from the Northeast who perhaps couldn't get in to the Ivy's, etc. They think it's an Ivy League school ... that's for sure. There is certainly a lot of coin there. My friend went there as an athlete (and good student) but he was from a very middle class family. He said it was challenging to blend in with the above-mentioned types.
                    Gettysburg is a member of the Annapolis Group, an invite-only advocacy group of the higher profile liberal arts colleges. But they're pretty far down the Northeast elite private schools. The pecking order is generally:

Ivy League
                    Little Three (Amherst, Wesleyan, Williams)
                    Five Sisters
                    NESCAC (basically the D3 Ivy)
                    High research D3 schools (Carnegie Mellon, Johns Hopkins, MIT, etc) and Old School Elitist AAU Privates (Stanford, University of Chicago, USC, Washington U in St Louis, etc.)
                    Clermont Colleges (yeah, they're in California, but still super elitist) and Tri-College (suburban Philly elite privates Bryn Mawr, Haverford, and Swarthmore)
                    Annapolis Group and Oberlin Group

There are some "rich kid" magnet schools like the Patriot League schools, High Point, Miami OH, etc. but I'd argue that Power 5 flagships & party schools are just as attractive. Arizona State is very popular with west coast new money kids. PASSHE is so far down this pecking order we may as well be community colleges. Same for our privates. The kids ain't applying unless they're there because they play a D1 sport and its Susie values playing D1 in a small pond versus a quiet, successful time at a rich kid D3.

When Tucker Carlson complains about liberal coastal elites, remember he went to Trinity College, an NESCAC school that you only go to if you are a very wealthy, liberal elite that didn't get into an Ivy League school.

Comment

There are certainly some studs down in D3. IUP is recruiting one right now (former D2 player who became a D3 All-American and is now a grad transfer).

Joe chased one last year but he signed with a D2 beach school in Florida instead. He averaged 16 or 17 ppg game in D2 this past season (albeit on a crappy team).

Many D3's tend (not always) to be more esteemed academic schools (locally i.e. The Presidents' Athletic Conference in Western Pa).
                      Not just athletic studs that get "assistance" at D3's. My son was a somewhat above average punter and a marginal HS WR in western PA. He was good enough to get "offers" from local D3's and a couple of DII's. Each of the D3 coaches put forth "financial aid" packages that they felt my son would have a REALLY good (wink...wink) chance at getting if he agreed to go to their school and play football for them.

Comment

• Not sure if it was noted previously, but predictably Michael Sampson is in the portal.

He never quite found a role in Howlett's rotation this year. As a fan, I loved his hustle and motor, but it just never quite all came together this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

D3 athletes still sign a Letter of Intent when they commit to a school - it's more of a general commitment to the school than to an athletic team.

D3 schools are some of the most "crooked" schools there are when it comes to finding ways to "help" athletes. Biggest case is when an athlete is a team sport manager - they get a good chunk of change toward tuition for it and never set foot near the team or their events. (not saying this is all cases, but definitely the majority vs. minority).

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post
                            Gannon's Demetrius Mims looking for his 4th school.
                            Either VC is a little behind or it took a long time for Mims to get cleared to transfer because his departure plan was known in mid-March.

Comment

• updated transfers from schools

PSAC
                              Bloomsburg - 2
                              Cal PA - 2
                              Clarion - 6
                              ESU - 2 (new)
                              Boro - 4 (up)
                              Gannon - 5 (up)
                              IUP - 7 (up)
                              Kutztown - 3
                              Mansfield - 3
                              Mercyhurst - 5
                              Millersville - 2
                              Seton Hill - 3
                              Shepherd - 1
                              Ships - 2
                              Rock - 2
                              West Chester - 1 (new)

Elsewhere
                              Adams State - 9
                              Arkansas- Fort Smith - 7 (up)
                              Belmont Abbey - 6
                              Bluefield State - 6 (new)
                              Cal Poly Humboldt - 7 (up)
                              Christian Brothers - 7
                              Coker - 5 (new)
                              Colorado State-Pueblo - 6
                              Converse - 5
                              Delta State - 5
                              Eastern New Mexico - 5 (new)
                              Erskine - 5
                              Franklin Pierce - 7 (up)
                              Georgia Southwestern - 5 (new)
                              Glenville State - 5 (new)
                              Hawaii Pacific - 5
                              Holy Names - 15 (up)
                              LeMoyne - 5
                              Lenoir-Rhyne - 8 (up)
                              Lewis - 5 (new)
                              Midwestern State - 5
                              Mississippi College - 8 (up)
                              Missouri-St. Louis - 6 (new)
                              Mount Olive - 7
                              Nebraska-Kearney - 5 (new)
                              Pace - 5 (new)
                              Saint Michaels - 5 (new)
                              Saint Rose - 11 (up)
                              Salem - 5 (new)
                              Seattle Pacific - 6 (up)
                              South Nazarene - 5 (new)
                              Southern New Hampshire - 5 (new)
                              Southwest Minnesota State - 5 (new)
                              Texas A&M International - 5 (new)
                              Texas-Permian Basin - 6
                              Truman State - 9
                              Tusculum - 5 (new)
                              West Florida - 7
                              WVA Wesleyan - 6

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
                                Not sure if it was noted previously, but predictably Michael Sampson is in the portal.

He never quite found a role in Howlett's rotation this year. As a fan, I loved his hustle and motor, but it just never quite all came together this year.
                                .182 from three on 22 shots. Doesn't matter his amount of hustle or how high his motor is or his basketball IQ or number of rebounds, etc, etc, etc. He didn't take enough three and he didn't make enough of the ones he did take.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X