Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

Fink is really good.

Augustana uniforms need some gold on them. That name tag fades into the uniform.

Comment

Congrats to Coach Billeter on reaching 400 career wins last night:

Comment

I'ts whiteout night at the arena Friday night 1st 500 students get a towel or hankie to wave. The Vikings are 12-8, 16-10, while the kitty's are 12-8, 17-9. A chance to restore the order in Sioux Falls. I believe I've talked my wife into a trip to SF, stay the night at Dow Rummel across the street in a guest room as my parents reside there. EZ PEEZE. My thoughts are the young Viking warriors have done some growing up since the first meeting against USF and will be victories. Any thoughts from other fans?

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
          I'ts whiteout night at the arena Friday night 1st 500 students get a towel or hankie to wave. The Vikings are 12-8, 16-10, while the kitty's are 12-8, 17-9. A chance to restore the order in Sioux Falls. I believe I've talked my wife into a trip to SF, stay the night at Dow Rummel across the street in a guest room as my parents reside there. EZ PEEZE. My thoughts are the young Viking warriors have done some growing up since the first meeting against USF and will be victories. Any thoughts from other fans?
          FYI - The game is not at the Arena. It's being played at the Elmen Center.

Comment

Originally posted by cougar1997 View Post
            FYI - The game is not at the Arena. It's being played at the Elmen Center.
            Interesting. Why is that? They didn't move the MSU game to Elmen when they had the Farm Show or whatever it was- they played on Sunday instead.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
              Interesting. Why is that? They didn't move the MSU game to Elmen when they had the Farm Show or whatever it was- they played on Sunday instead.
              I think the home show runs through Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                I will be heading over to the game. My oldest son is extremely involved in sports..which limits me heading to a hoops game all that often..but that schedule has slowed down a touch and I'm taking him to the USF at Augie game this wknd. When he was younger I took him to the same matchup, at the Elmen....Coo women won, Augie men won. With Augie going D1, it's hard to say how many more times this kinda matchup happens..so we are going. Should be 2 good games with the teams being pretty evenly matched overall.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                  So, if this problem or gym swapping continues on, is that an appealing thing to a D1 conference? I dont know how often it happens, but is seems like people constantly have 5o be sure to check which location Augie is playing at. Maybe it is just this home show deal, maybe they have plans to lock down the Pentagon or something. I'm sure it's been thought of.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                    So, if this problem or gym swapping continues on, is that an appealing thing to a D1 conference? I dont know how often it happens, but is seems like people constantly have 5o be sure to check which location Augie is playing at. Maybe it is just this home show deal, maybe they have plans to lock down the Pentagon or something. I'm sure it's been thought of.
                    I'd be surprised if this is much of an issue. In the event that the school 100% commits to going D1 and gets an invite from the Summit League to make it happen, they should also be committed to providing a D1-caliber experience for fans, athletes, and of course, corporate sponsors and boosters. I don't know if that means they secure home games at the Pentagon or what, but I would hope Augie's administration is planning accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                      I will be heading over to the game. My oldest son is extremely involved in sports..which limits me heading to a hoops game all that often..but that schedule has slowed down a touch and I'm taking him to the USF at Augie game this wknd. When he was younger I took him to the same matchup, at the Elmen....Coo women won, Augie men won. With Augie going D1, it's hard to say how many more times this kinda matchup happens..so we are going. Should be 2 good games with the teams being pretty evenly matched overall.
                      This is WAY bigger news than Obama being at the Duke game last night. I hope that TMZ has this covered!

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                        I'd be surprised if this is much of an issue. In the event that the school 100% commits to going D1 and gets an invite from the Summit League to make it happen, they should also be committed to providing a D1-caliber experience for fans, athletes, and of course, corporate sponsors and boosters. I don't know if that means they secure home games at the Pentagon or what, but I would hope Augie's administration is planning accordingly.
                        Just a random thought of if they were going to have a permanent place or if anything had been spoken of.

What if this is all a ploy to increase interest and exposure leading to increased donors and enrollment knowing all along they werent going to actually go to D1. That'd be a masterful accomplishment.

Comment

A few thoughts as we hit the last weekend of conference play. Non-Augie fans will be annoyed because I've posted about much of this before, but reflecting on the season and what the future holds has me wanting to do one of my usual overly lengthy posts. If you hate when I do that, probably jump to a different thread.

Thoughts:

Regardless of how this weekend shakes out, this has been a fairly remarkable season for the Vikes. We are two wins away from tying for first place in the South in spite of the following challenges:

1) We have literally started 4 true freshmen and a sophomore for the majority of conference play. I think Purple Mav Man and I have debated our differences of opinion when it comes to whether or not that's impressive, but I lean on the side of it being pretty incredible that the Vikes are contending for first in the South playing that much youth night in and night out.

2) Right out of the gate we lost our preseason "Player to Watch" in the first game. When I look at some of the other teams in the league and how they'd do if they lost their preseason player to watch, these are some of the names that come up:

-Bryndan Matthews - CSP (yikes for them if he's out for the year)
                          -Kevin Kreiger - Mankato (they struggled in just the few games he was out with injury)
                          -Trevon Evans - USF (can't even imagine where they'd be without him for the year)
                          -Ryan Bruggeman - SMSU (yeah)
                          -Kendall Jacks - Wayne (they might be ok still, but certainly not contending for 1st in the South without him)
                          -Harrison Cleary - Crookston (yeah)
                          -Brandon Myer - Duluth (I think we've all seen how huge he has been for the Bulldogs)
                          -Gage Davis - St. Cloud (still a solid team, but I'm willing to say possibly not a Regional contender)
                          -Ian Smith - NSU (definitely a key component for them)

Now, does that mean Dykman was as good as each of these guys? No. But being the only returning upperclassman and probably the only returning Viking worthy of a "Player to Watch" recognition, it's amazing to see which other teams would've been really hurt by losing their Player to Watch for the season.

3) The Vikes then lost key big man Tyler Riemersma, who was putting up all-conference numbers before he went down with an injury 3-4 games into conference play, and was arguably (maybe inarguably) our most versatile defensive player. He's back now, but missed a key stretch of conference play and is still semi-recovering in spite of starting to play again.

4) Nobody has really mentioned this since the very beginning of the season, but the Vikings were supposed to have a returning all-conference level player in John Warren this season. Instead, he's out at Slippery Rock (which had a horrendous start to the year but has been on a tear the past 6-8 weeks). Not sure how he would've performed with such a young team, but he certainly was talented and likely would've been an 18-21 ppg type of player this year.

5) Other than the Northern game and probably the second Winona game, the Vikes really haven't even been blown out this entire season. There are games they probably should have won (the trip to Mary and Minot is a killer to look back on), but we've had much more talented and upperclassman-filled teams have more than a few 20-point losses in past seasons, but for the most part this group hasn't really ever felt out of any games other than the aforementioned NSU and WSU games. They may not win every game, but it's exciting to see them usually keeping it close and competing every night.

6) In general, this has the potential to be a special group. I'm really hoping the D1 news doesn't jeopardize the roster for at least a few years, because other than having to overcome the juggernaut that is the NWMSU Bearcats the next few seasons, I could see the Vikes being serious postseason contenders for these last few seasons of D2. (To be clear NSU4LIFE, Stanger86, simple, et. al., I'm not saying there won't be other good teams. Just that NWMSU has those stud freshman guards who seem to be on path to dominate the Region as it stands now, and also culture wins.) Anyway, assuming a D1 jump actually happens, it would be really fun to finish out our D2 run with a few good seasons of legitimate playoff action again.

Anyway, congrats to the Vikings players and coaches for securing another winning season. Here's to hoping we get to at least 18 or 19 wins before it's all said and done. Then again, I wouldn't mind 6+ additional wins. :)
                          Last edited by MrAugustana; 02-21-2019, 11:46 AM.

Comment

A few thoughts as we hit the last weekend of conference play. Non-Augie fans will be annoyed because I've posted about much of this before, but reflecting on the season and what the future holds has me wanting to do one of my usual overly lengthy posts. If you hate when I do that, probably jump to a different thread.

Thoughts:

Regardless of how this weekend shakes out, this has been a fairly remarkable season for the Vikes. We are two wins away from tying for first place in the South in spite of the following challenges:

1) We have literally started 4 true freshmen and a sophomore for the majority of conference play. I think Purple Mav Man and I have debated our differences of opinion when it comes to whether or not that's impressive, but I lean on the side of it being pretty incredible that the Vikes are contending for first in the South playing that much youth night in and night out.

2) Right out of the gate we lost our preseason "Player to Watch" in the first game. When I look at some of the other teams in the league and how they'd do if they lost their preseason player to watch, these are some of the names that come up:

-Bryndan Matthews - CSP (yikes for them if he's out for the year)
                            -Kevin Kreiger - Mankato (they struggled in just the few games he was out with injury)
                            -Trevon Evans - USF (can't even imagine where they'd be without him for the year)
                            -Ryan Bruggeman - SMSU (yeah)
                            -Kendall Jacks - Wayne (they might be ok still, but certainly not contending for 1st in the South without him)
                            -Harrison Cleary - Crookston (yeah)
                            -Brandon Myer - Duluth (I think we've all seen how huge he has been for the Bulldogs)
                            -Gage Davis - St. Cloud (still a solid team, but I'm willing to say possibly not a Regional contender)
                            -Ian Smith - NSU (definitely a key component for them)

Now, does that mean Dykman was as good as each of these guys? No. But being the only returning upperclassman and probably the only returning Viking worthy of a "Player to Watch" recognition, it's amazing to see which other teams would've been really hurt by losing their Player to Watch for the season.

3) The Vikes then lost key big man Tyler Riemersma, who was putting up all-conference numbers before he went down with an injury 3-4 games into conference play, and was arguably (maybe inarguably) our most versatile defensive player. He's back now, but missed a key stretch of conference play and is still semi-recovering in spite of starting to play again.

4) Nobody has really mentioned this since the very beginning of the season, but the Vikings were supposed to have a returning all-conference level player in John Warren this season. Instead, he's out at Slippery Rock (which had a horrendous start to the year but has been on a tear the past 6-8 weeks). Not sure how he would've performed with such a young team, but he certainly was talented and likely would've been an 18-21 ppg type of player this year.

5) Other than the Northern game and probably the second Winona game, the Vikes really haven't even been blown out this entire season. There are games they probably should have won (the trip to Mary and Minot is a killer to look back on), but we've had much more talented and upperclassman-filled teams have more than a few 20-point losses in past seasons, but for the most part this group hasn't really ever felt out of any games other than the aforementioned NSU and WSU games. They may not win every game, but it's exciting to see them usually keeping it close and competing every night.

6) In general, this has the potential to be a special group. I'm really hoping the D1 news doesn't jeopardize the roster for at least a few years, because other than having to overcome the juggernaut that is the NWMSU Bearcats the next few seasons, I could see the Vikes being serious postseason contenders for these last few seasons of D2. (To be clear NSU4LIFE, Stanger86, simple, et. al., I'm not saying there won't be other good teams. Just that NWMSU has those stud freshman guards who seem to be on path to dominate the Region as it stands now, and also culture wins.) Anyway, assuming a D1 jump actually happens, it would be really fun to finish out our D2 run with a few good seasons of legitimate playoff action again.

Anyway, congrats to the Vikings players and coaches for securing another winning season. Here's to hoping we get to at least 18 or 19 wins before it's all said and done. Then again, I wouldn't mind 6+ additional wins. :)
                            Remember I was singing the praises of your young group of players long before the season began. Fully expect augie to be preseason top 2-3 in nsic next year.

Comment

A few thoughts as we hit the last weekend of conference play. Non-Augie fans will be annoyed because I've

Is there doubt about that?

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                                Is there doubt about that?
                                Oh I don't think there's doubt about it. I just haven't heard much of anything the past few months about it one way or the other.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X