Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

The first half was bad. The second half was good. That's an inexperienced team for you. We won't play another team with 4 athletic 6'10"+ post players this season, so there's that. I was kind of expecting it to be a bad game. Frankly, they played a little too good against Xavier, which I think ultimately hurt them mentally early on in this one.

Obviously predictions are worth no more than the virtual paper they are written on here on the message board, but if we've learned anything about this team from our two D1 exhibitions it's that they are very unlikely to finish dead last in the G-MAC like the coaches picked them to do. In fact, I'm going to go so far as to predict right now that they will be in the top 8, and make the conference tourney. Is that guaranteed? No. But I feel like it's a really good possibility. Also, of course, that's not the "ultimate" goal. KWC is about winning championships. And it's not impossible that they could win the league. But since we're a total rebuild, I think a realistic goal right now is to make the conference tourney, and see where it goes from there.

The best things about the guys Coach Coop has brought in for his inaugural roster are #1 they are all high character, #2 they are all smart basketball players (high basketball IQ), and #3 they all (I think 'all'...at the very least 'most') come from winning programs either in Juco, D3, or high school. The importance of that #3 is difficult to overstate. They know how to win. That doesn't mean they won't take their knocks as they learn the system and learn how to play together, but when it comes down to it guys who are used to winning are going to be more likely to do what it takes to get back to winning.

My final thought is just that I truly love this team. I feel like the guys are going to be really fun to watch grow, especially the freshmen. And I have yet to see or hear anything at all from or about Coach Coop that I don't like. I feel like he is just the coach we needed at this time in our program's history.

Comment

Many of these players came from programs that were not supposed top be very good but by mid year were winning. So been there done that.

I said we needed to learn three things from X. 6'7" guys can not dribble down the middle...seems to be fixed today...we needed to get more from Hopewell..last ten minutes he showed what he can bring.

Now Coop needs to figure out how to use his shooters. He had guys on the bench that would have helped due to how they can shoot. I hope he does not give up on them when playing D2.

Biggest surprise is #3. I think he can help us and he does not back down. Love to see him do well for his dad.

We need some really good practices to get ready for Ky. State but I have great belief in Coach. going to be fun indeed.

Comment

If KWC can't handily beat Kentucky State and play Bellarmine tough, both at the Sportscenter, this season is going to be a long one. My guess is they will beat Kentucky State by single digits, possibly low teens and lose the Bellarmine game in the low teens. I would be satisfied with that outcome at this stage. I don't know how good Evansville is, but I am guessing Kentucky Wesleyan will give them a decent game, maybe not, though. With this many inexperienced players it will take awhile to adjust to the competition.

Comment

I hope Owensboro folk will show the support that they are know for. As long as we play hard and smart I will be happy. Our guards just did not shoot well yesterday. hopefully they were just off from two games in three days.

Comment

Keep in mind, too, that at Western we were giving up 3-5 inches at just about every position. They were playing a 6'8" point guard most of the game.

I love the concept of the Evansville scrimmage but I hate the timing. The day after a game against one of the top teams in D2? That's a tough draw.

Whether we're winning or losing, the season is the same length. My biggest hope is that nobody gives up on them if we ARE losing. There are guys on this team that by the time their 2-4 years of playing in the purple and white are over they're going to be GREAT basketball players. Don't get frustrated if they're not there yet on game 1.

Also, look on the bright side. We could have lost those two exhibitions 132-48. In fact, the WKU game looked like it was kind of heading that direction. But we came out the second half and showed we could hang with them after all. There's a LOT of upside to this team, and I feel like Drew Cooper's the right guy to get the most out of them. It just takes time.

Comment

Most people on this board going in knew this was going to be a tough season. I don't think anyone is being too harsh or critical at this point. The losses are going to be expected.

Comment

Originally posted by alumnifan View Post
                Most people on this board going in knew this was going to be a tough season. I don't think anyone is being too harsh or critical at this point. The losses are going to be expected.
                Agreed, but there's like 4 of us on here lol. I'm more worried about the thousand or so regular game attenders, not to mention the casual fans. Of course if Cooper can do what Happy couldn't, and get us back to winning games in the national tournament and regularly threatening to win the region and make the E8, hopefully our attendance will grow again. I mean it's never going to be back to Harper levels again. There's too much competition for people's attention these days. Casual basketball fans have 3 or 4 choices of games they can watch from their couch every night of the week now. But, when the success comes and people start noticing that we're challenging for banners again, maybe we can get the average back up to 2000+ again, and go from there.

Comment

We just need to support the team as much as we want them to play hard. give $$$$$.. attend games...wear the purple etc.

Comment

They won't lose as badly in the exhibition games next season, but previous teams could have given both Xavier and WKU fits. Both teams knew exactly what they were getting when the game contract was signed and KWC can be grateful for the check. It's not like KWC has millions of dollars to play with on their budget at the present. The athletic department depends on Men's basketball home game attendance. If attendance does not pick up at the Sportscenter, an appeal should be made to the public or the team needs to go on a lengthy tour of the county and surrounding counties and visit with as many fans as possible.

These players are smart, but they're a step or two slow, probably two steps against the competition in the last two games. They really do need to beat Kentucky State at home. That game is a water shed marker. It is not going to be easy. I have never seen an easy game between these two teams in terms of physical contact. Wesleyan will get roughed up win or lose. So, the players need to get ready for it.

Comment

Agree with a step slow on defense. A step slow and give up a couple of inches. Smith should help and maybe a zone will be the answer at times. Coaching coaching coaching will decide the season. Cedarville looked pretty good at times last night. WKU looked okay for a half but have some behavior issues and I wonder if they are in shape. WKU has had several issues keeping players on their roster in the last couple of years.

I look forward to the real start of the season.

Comment

Bellarmine is probably going to be playing the Panthers at the Sportscenter ranked as the No. 1 team in the nation against the youngest D2 team in the nation on November 14th. That's alright. Wesleyan is trying to build a new athletic program and they are building it from the ground up. I can say one thing, KWC never backs down from competition. The Track and Field teams will be competing against a lot of DI programs. They really try to schedule all the teams as best they can with top competition and they have done a good job this year. The new wrestling program will get better. I am really glad they started that sport at KWC. It is going to take time. They got crushed against Thomas More in the WHRC. That men's basketball game at home against Bellarmine followed by the Evansville Aces at the Ford Center will be two tough games. Some of the freshmen on this season's men's basketball team will look back on this season and ask themselves "how they made it through it." Those guys are taking their knocks at a very young age. I admire that. It is going to make them tough.

The women's basketball team looks good in their team photo. From everything I have seen on college athletic internet sites, I must say Kentucky Wesleyan has one of the best D2 athletic internt sights I have seen. It is very thorough and shiny. Of course I am biased. www.kwcpanthers.com
                        Last edited by alumnifan; 11-08-2018, 09:42 PM.

Comment

UE wouldn't finish in the top 7 of the GLVC. That is a winnable game for you all.

Bellarmine is probably going to be playing the Panthers at the Sportscenter ranked as the No. 1 team in the nation against the youngest D2 team in the nation on November 14th. That's alright. Wesleyan is trying to build a new athletic program and they are building it from the ground up. I can say one thing, KWC never backs down from competition. The Track and Field teams will be competing against a lot of DI programs. They really try to schedule all the teams as best they can with top competition and they have done a good job this year. The new wrestling program will get better. I am really glad they started that sport at KWC. It is going to take time. They got crushed against Thomas More in the WHRC. That men's basketball game at home against Bellarmine followed by the Evansville Aces at the Ford Center will be two tough games. Some of the freshmen on this season's men's basketball team will look back on this season and ask themselves "how they made it through it." Those guys are taking their knocks at a very young age. I admire that. It is going to make them tough.

The women's basketball team looks good in their team photo. From everything I have seen on college athletic internet sites, I must say Kentucky Wesleyan has one of the best D2 athletic internt sights I have seen. It is very thorough and shiny. Of course I am biased. www.kwcpanthers.com

Comment

Bellarmine is probably going to be playing the Panthers at the Sportscenter ranked as the No. 1 team in the nation against the youngest D2 team in the nation on November 14th.
                            I think AB might be younger.

Comment

Technically, you are correct. Trimming their roster to just the players that have a # listed (assuming the others are redshirts or JV) They 10 Freshmen, 0 Soph, 3 Jr, 2 Sr.

We have 7 Frosh, 1 Soph, 7 Jr, 1 Sr.

So strictly by class year they are younger.

Comment

Can I just take a moment to say that I HATE the new Sidearm livestats look. I sincerely hope ours doesn't look like this too.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X