Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

My only complaint on Bezold is that he is reluctant almost to the point of refusal to shoot the ball when he's around the basket. I imagine it's a product of being only 6'3" and not being comfortable trying to score down low, not to mention getting a few blocked back in his face early in the season. The staff needs to work with him on going up strong with the ball down there, as more often than not he would be able to at least draw a foul, if not score.

How about some props for Cameron Seaton? Kid hardly played the first half of the year. Then the last two games he's come in off the bench and provided the spark to really get us going. Those three 3's in a row he hit last night were absolutely huge, especially with our 3 top guards not shooting well.

On a side note - anyone know what's up with Cameron Cartwright? Wasn't dressed for the second straight game, and was noticeably limping.

Last night the first half was pretty darned ugly. I don't know when you're ever going to see Bell, Goetz and Dixon go 0-13 in a half again. But it wasn't just them, Mayot had a couple of layups rim out, as did Arisha if I'm remembering right. I didn't think we were taking bad shots at all, they just weren't falling. Had we shot our normal percentage in that half we probably would have been up more like 40-19 at the half, but you're going to have games like that sometimes. I AM concerned about our free throw shooting. Until the last 2-3 games we were pretty automatic at the line except for Mayot. Now we've got guys like Goetz and Bell that are struggling there. I'm not sure if it's a focus thing, or if they're not practicing free throws as much or what, but they need to figure that out as the last thing we need is to lose close games because we can't hit free throws this year.

After the game Cooper made mention that subjectively the goal for this year is to make the conference tournament (with hopes of making some noise once they get there). I received some backlash on here for stating that I felt that is an attainable target a few weeks ago. Well, at this point we're 4-2 in the conference. We've got 14 more conference games to go. Granted, we do still have to play the top teams, but I do still feel like we've got a good chance to land in that top 8 at the end of the conference season. I don't feel like saying it out loud puts undue pressure on the team. If we make it there, we make it. If not, we fell a little short. Not the end of the world! It does give them a target to shoot for, which is never a bad thing.
    Last edited by kdubnation; 01-04-2019, 12:14 PM.

Comment

You are right that he won't go up. I've noticed several times where he had clear drive opportunities, drove in, and then spun to look for the kick-out. While i can appreciate unselfish play, you make a good point that he has to start at least trying to go up some of the time.

Seaton is becoming a great player. He is eager to play and it shows. He is not scared to shoot and he hustles when he is on the court, especially going for loose balls. He has also made some great shot fakes followed by drives or quality passes, which shows me he isn't one-dimensional.

Cooper was visibly upset over the missed free-throws. I'd imagine some time over the next week will be dedicated to shooting free-throws when tired. In many ways, we lost the Walsh game because we missed our free throws. We were competitive all night, lost by 1, and missed 4 free throws in the second half. Getting that win would have KWC currently tied for 1st in the GMAC. If we play the good teams close, we absolutely have to be shooting free throws over 80%.

I think with 14 conference games left, we are absolutely capable of making the tournament. I think it's very plausible to win 7 of those games, and potentially more depending on how the team responds in some tougher environments against good conference opponents. If they end 11-9 in conference, I think they have a solid chance of making the tournament. They will have also bested last year's conference record by 2 games, and that would end the overall record at 13-13. While that is certainly not the level KWC expects, it outperforms most expectations of the team going in to the season.

I think we will get a good gauge on how we stack up in the conference on the 24th and 26th when two good opponents roll into the SC.

Comment

I think the players know a bad shot by most players means you are coming out. Bezold knows making no mistakes is his role. I also think he needs to work on getting more shots but he often begins good ball movement.

Every player ,except Goetz, has improved. Many are becoming comfortable with their roles. I suspect their will be some "let's go shoot free throws" from team leaders. I see this team as rare. It has guys that when needed are leaders but also will follow and listen to teammates.

Concerns: This team only has two things that lead to wins three point shooting and quickness. If we lose either it will be very tough.

Do not over look Deng's play. He works hard and makes a real difference with his size and jumping ability.

Does anyone have insight about NOT playing D&E next week? I'm hoping we get credit for a W because D&E some how screwed up.

Comment

I feel two things are really important about the G MAC tourney. Getting in the mid pack is a real need. Also keeping Findlay from hosting is very important.

Cedarville hosting would be great. I know I am getting way out over my skies but that is the fun of being a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Looking For 9 View Post
            I think the players know a bad shot by most players means you are coming out. Bezold knows making no mistakes is his role. I also think he needs to work on getting more shots but he often begins good ball movement.

Every player ,except Goetz, has improved. Many are becoming comfortable with their roles. I suspect their will be some "let's go shoot free throws" from team leaders. I see this team as rare. It has guys that when needed are leaders but also will follow and listen to teammates.

Concerns: This team only has two things that lead to wins three point shooting and quickness. If we lose either it will be very tough.

Do not over look Deng's play. He works hard and makes a real difference with his size and jumping ability.

Does anyone have insight about NOT playing D&E next week? I'm hoping we get credit for a W because D&E some how screwed up.
            *Edit: I was wrong let me look at this again.

Comment

OK after reviewing what they did after adding Tiffin...

There's 13 teams, and a 20 game league season. You play 8 teams twice, and 4 teams once. I don't know how they decide which teams you only play 1x vs 2x, unless it has to do with travel distance. For us, this year we play everyone twice except Ohio Dominican, Ohio Valley, Davis & Elkins, and Lake Erie.

So no...lol...we won't get an automatic W for not playing D&E next week, sorry!

One other comment on your post - as for everyone except for Goetz improving, Goetz HAS improved. It's not as obvious because he was a scorer already, but his game has improved in non-scoring ways. He plays better defense than the first few games of the season, and he is more aggressive with the ball (i.e. not just relying on catch & shoot). So maybe his shooting % has trailed off a bit, but in terms of his all around game, I don't think it's fair to say he hasn't improved.

Comment

I feel two things are really important about the G MAC tourney. Getting in the mid pack is a real need. Also keeping Findlay from hosting is very important.

Cedarville hosting would be great. I know I am getting way out over my skies but that is the fun of being a fan.
                I'm SHOCKED!!! I think Findlay really needs to host. I can't find any smileys on here so you'll just have to imagine them.

Comment

I could live with Cedarville hosting. Really, almost anywhere but A-B would suit me.

Comment

Thanks for the G MAC schedule. I thought we played everyone twice.

I am not down on Goetz (he may be the most skilled player we have) but I do think most of his important numbers have gone the wrong way. It was great to see a W with him scoring only 10 points. His asst. numbers are good and his second half shooting is good. We need 10/12 points in the first half. That would help Mo get his easy shoots in the second half.

Comment

The GMAC schedule is one of the life's great mysteries. Thanks for explaining it, not sure I still understand it. I know another issue is that there is one more women's team then men with Ursuline in the conference for women's sports.

Comment

Seems like it is more about last year's standing than travel due to the WBB schedule being different than MBB.

Comment

Kentucky Wesleyan hosted their first Wrestling Duel Meet of the season against Urbana and lost 15-39. Urbana is a first year program too. Wesleyan has had some defections on the team already. A lot of kids coming out of high school wrestling programs, who had some success in high school, quickly find out they are at a level that was beyond their comprehension. There are so many matches in high school that are ridiculously mismatched with decent wrestlers and (terrible wrestlers that are only on a team to fill out a roster). Some high school wrestling programs put more emphasis on conditioning than wrestling and vice versa. It appears the KWC team will be lucky to just get through this season and the coach is going to have to start recruiting hard soon. He never had much of a window to recruit for this year. Forfeiting four matches is almost unheard of in high school. There was always a JV wrestler who could fill the spot and possibly save points. I have seen wrestling rosters that would wrestle an underweight wrestler up a class in order to not give up a forfeit. It is experience gained for a novice wrestler like that in high school. Obviously, there are not that many wrestlers on the KWC team now. It is going to take some scholarship money to build the KWC wrestling roster. And, a lot of heavy duty recruiting.

This has nothing to do with basketball, but I doubt KWC will win a duel meet this season in wrestling. They may not win one next season unless the coach or coaches are already out there recruiting like crazy. They have to recruit some non scholarship wrestlers to field a team that is at least two wrestlers deep in every weight class. In high school some weight classes will have 3 or more wrestlers in the same weight class and there are wrestle offs before each match. That is not the case at KWC. The athletic department needs to recruit wrestlers that are also football players. That would help, and it can be done.
                          Last edited by alumnifan; 01-06-2019, 01:37 AM.

Comment

If Wesleyan can get in the G-MAC Conference tournament, that would be a solid sign of moving forward with a team this young. KWC has a tough schedule coming up and they close the regular season with games at Findlay and Hillsdale. My sense is KWC will not have a winning conference season this year. And, that is okay by me. However, if they CAN squeak into the conference tournament, they may have enough experience by then to make some noise. KWC needs to consistently put together two halves in which each half can produce close to .45 percent from the field on offense. What seems to be happening is the opposition's coaching staff makes adjustments to it's defense at the half and that has proven effective. I don't know how you can change something like that unless you get more players scoring consistent numbers. That is what needs to happen. Wesleyan needs to get more players involved on offense. I could be wrong. However, the bottom line is the Panthers need to score more points. This is not a real high scoring team compared to the good KWC teams that I have seen. Good KWC teams score and score in a hurry and every player on the court can score. They will be alright.

Comment

We aren't a real high scoring team, but we are in the top 2-4 in the league in scoring defense. This is another example of Cooper's system being similar to Bellarmine. Bellarmine under Davenport has never been a team that scores a ton of points. A high scoring game for them has been in the 80s, typically, thinking back. Now this year they're averaging like 85, but I'm thinking that's higher than it has been, though I could be wrong. They're perfectly comfortable beating someone 65-50. It does feel a little different not putting up 80-90 points per game, but I can definitely appreciate that we are (in my opinion) already a better team defensively than ANY of the teams Happy put on the court. That was a hallmark of Todd Lee's KWC teams, too...strong half-court defense. And honestly, even scoring around 70 points per game, the offense is fun to watch. The ball actually moves! The players actually move without the ball! It's no longer a couple of passes and a one-on-one move to the basket. It's true TEAM offense and it's a joy to watch.
                              Last edited by kdubnation; 01-07-2019, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kdubnation View Post
                                And honestly, even scoring around 70 points per game, the offense is fun to watch. The ball actually moves! The players actually move without the ball! It's no longer a couple of passes and a one-on-one move to the basket. It's true TEAM offense and it's a joy to watch.
                                This is so true. The offense that Cooper runs is just better basketball. Which is a great reason KWC is leading the GMAC in assists. Passing up good shots for great shots makes the game so much more fun to watch!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X