Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

Deng ,last year, had a very good back to the basket game. I think he has to quit trying to get a layup and settle for the short jump or hook shot. Still need to get more from the bench. I see improvement but I want it now :).

Comment

Deng seems like he's just trying to do too much at times and it leads to travelling and getting the ball stripped. I think you're right, if he would quit trying to attack the rim exclusively and shoot the jump-hook or fadeaway from time to time things might loosen up for him. We've got enough balance out there that no individual player has to force things. Take what the defense gives and if it's not there, pass it back out and run something else. If we can get our turnovers under control we could be really dangerous.

Deng is really smart and well spoken, and extremely athletic. Once Coop gets him playing a little more controlled he'll be just fine.

Comment

Yep..a real pleasure to hear Cooper talk about HIS team.

Comment

Couple quick takeaways form that EARLY Saturday tip:
          -I think we've found another player in Cameron Seaton. The young man played well and made some good decisions. I imagine Cooper has a struggle on his hands trying to decide who gets playing time. I haven't been at practice but I imagine they are battling in there!
          -I didn't see Zavon at the game. I didn't realize it until the game was over, but it was odd to me he wasn't on the bench with his team. Hopefully all is well with his nose and we get him back soon.
          -I'm a big Nick Fort fan. That young man has potential to be REALLY good. He boxes out so well and he is starting to play some quality offense. I see a bright future for him in our league. He can be a quality PF, especially as he puts on some more muscle in his first college off-season.
          -I like our team. Next year has potential to be fun! I also REALLY like our freshman class. Fort, Godwin, Seaton, Cartwright, and Dixon can all play quality ball. I left Urkis out as he just seems too unrefined at this point. He needs some work, but he is a strong kid and appears to have zero issue fighting for a ball or playing tough D. Cooper did a good job with that class. I am excited to see them grow and mature in the program and be a really good team their senior season.

Comment

I wouldn't read much into Godwin (also Smith) not being there. I'd imagine the kids that aren't cleared to play or practice due to health reasons haven't come back to campus yet.

Comment

I saw Smith at the game, which gave me more pause as to why Godwin wasn't there. I wouldn't expect a player to not return when all other teammates did just because of health reasons. In my mind, at the end of the day he still has an obligation to his team to attend. I'm hoping he remained out to see a physician regarding him returning to play this year.

Comment

I didn't see Smith ... he wasn't on the bench like he usually is?

Comment

you're right, he wasn't. Which I too thought was odd. But he was there during warm-ups and then he was with the team post-game.

Comment

Originally posted by kdubnation View Post
                    I wouldn't read much into Godwin (also Smith) not being there. I'd imagine the kids that aren't cleared to play or practice due to health reasons haven't come back to campus yet.
                    I have a hunch that we won't see Godwin in a KWC uniform again this year.

Comment

With conference play revving back up I took a look at GMAC stats just to evaluate where KWC stands. KWC is 2nd in scoring defense, 3rd in free throw pct, 1st in field goal pct defense, 1st in 3 pt fg pct defense, 4th in rebounding defense, 4th in rebounding margin, 1st in assists, and 4th in 3 pt fg made. Not too shabby given the ups and downs the team has experienced through the first 11 games. Here's to a win tonight against Trevecca, a .500 record, and a 4-2 conf record! Go Panthers!

Comment

I too have been looking at things that might help me to "guess" how this team will do in the conference. I think one issue that has been overlooked is coaching. I do not mean poor coaching but I do believe Cooper is still learning about his players and what they will do in a game. I think we will see the bench play more and better as coach and players have more game experience. If wins come this will happen quickly. When we use more players our defense and rebounding will get better.

One last thought: when Godwin got hurt we were ahead and he was making a difference in the game and our point guard did not play. G MAC could get interesting which is great but could hurt getting teams into the NCAA regional.

Comment

Originally posted by Looking For 9 View Post
                          I too have been looking at things that might help me to "guess" how this team will do in the conference. I think one issue that has been overlooked is coaching. I do not mean poor coaching but I do believe Cooper is still learning about his players and what they will do in a game. I think we will see the bench play more and better as coach and players have more game experience. If wins come this will happen quickly. When we use more players our defense and rebounding will get better.

One last thought: when Godwin got hurt we were ahead and he was making a difference in the game and our point guard did not play. G MAC could get interesting which is great but could hurt getting teams into the NCAA regional.
                          You're correct, and also that was AT Cedarville. I feel like that game might have ended differently in Owensboro. We'll get a chance to find out before too long! The parity in the G-MAC will only hurt the conference as long as we aren't able to win our games against GLVC and GLIAC competition. A quick tally shows the G-MAC has gone 8-14 vs the GLIAC and 5-10 vs the GLVC this year. Turn those around and it won't make nearly as much difference when we beat each other up, because we will have proven ourselves against the other conferences in the region.

Comment

Wesleyan has improved and the team is getting more production from their 6-7 players. Attendance was up for last night's game. Over 900, which is a far cry from where it should be, but that more than doubled the last home game attendance tally. If Wesleyan can draw 1,600 a game it would help a great deal, both financially and from a home court advantage perspective. The more fans the Sportscenter has in it, the better Wesleyan teams play. I do see improvement in the team. Their shooting percentages are getting better and they can get better from the field if their shot selection was a little better. It seems they need to be a little more patient on offense and the team needs all of their players on the floor unafraid to take a good shot. The ones that don't always take good shots are good players, but they are still young. They need to come together as a team to get better and they will. I know some of you think I am crazy, and that is fine. I show my loyalty to KWC, always have and always will. I knew this team would get better over the course of the season, but there are still some glaring kinks to work out. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHO SCORES. WHAT MATTERS IS A HIGH OFFENSIVE SHOOTING PERCENTAGE FROM THE TEAM.

Wesleyan had a 21 point win over Trevecca, and they shot 41.7% from the field. That is not great. What is worse is 57% from the FT line. That would get you a C in a high school P.E. Class. To compete for a conference championship, they need to shoot at least 48-50% from the field to win, and they need to shoot 80% from the free throw line. I have seen Wesleyan players that didn't even start who could hit 97 out of 100 free throws at the YMCA regularly. That same player hit 99 of 100 free throws at the YMCA just fooling around in the off season with a couple of goof balls playing 21, but he backed up one of the smartest guards KWC ever had.
                            Last edited by alumnifan; 01-04-2019, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Honestly, I like all the players this year. However, Tyler Bezold is my favorite. He seems to always have a productive game with limited minutes. His efficiency ratings are good. By the end of next season as his physique and playing abilities improve, he could be a shining star for next year's team when it counts. He is a very good young man who is very bright and will be guided brilliantly until he ends his college playing career. The team next year could be very good if they fill a couple of holes.
                              Last edited by alumnifan; 01-04-2019, 02:06 AM.

Comment

I, too, am a big fan of Bezold. He in many ways was our only post presence on defense for the first 7-8 games, and played much bigger than he really is. He communicates well, seems to be very smart, is very supportive of teammates, and doesn't seem to mind getting physical with opponents from time to time. Some quality off-season conditioning could make him a really good assert to next year's squad.

this is by no means the most talented team KWC has ever seen, but they have quickly become my favorite. We seem to have a roster full of QUALITY young men, which is something I can't remember seeing for quite some time. I love the way the bench supports the players on the court and teammates celebrate other teammate's victories. I very much respect and appreciate the culture and program Cooper is building.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X