• Show
Clear All

• Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

Originally posted by bkingbroker View Post
    wod to k dub?
    yes please!!!!

Comment

Before this team ever played a game, I basically stated that the fan base was going to have to be patient with this team. I am not a patient person and I really don't know what to expect from this team at the end of this year or what they will look like next year, but I don't see any championships in my KWC crystal ball. I watched part of that game tonight. Wesleyan has some good shooters, but I don't know if they can ever develop the type of athletic ability that it takes to win at this level with these current players. That is not a knock on the student athletes, it is just a statement in fact. The attendance is going to fall below 1,000. There were 931 at the Salem game. It doesn't get much worse than that, and I saw some concerned looks on some faces.
      Last edited by alumnifan; 11-24-2018, 09:43 PM.

Comment

The difference in this Salem game was the assist to turnover ratio. IU Southeast had 15 assists and 5 turnovers. Wesleyan had 16 assists and 21 turnovers.

Comment

• Comment

Comment

Rotation is a big issue Coach can work on.

For example, 13 minutes to go KWC up 4. Coach inserts Dixon and Abu Arisha into line up with Mayot, Godwin, and Cartwright. That group allows a couple of 3s and commits a turnover in 2 minutes to be down 1. However in next 2 minutes they go on a 12-3 run to take an 8 point lead.

Coach takes Abu Arisha and Godwin out and puts Bezold and Goetz in. In next 2 minutes IU SE goes on 10-0 runs with Goetz and Bezold committing turnovers and Goetz missing a 3. Coach puts Abu Arisha and Godwin back in but KWC couldn't get the "flow" of game back then with only 7 minutes left.

Tough to see substitutions in middle of 12-3 run. Harder then to watch opposing team go on 10-0 right after.

Comment

Both points are absolutely fair.

Comment

They are fair points. Much more fair than simply saying the team is terrible and see ya next year.

There are things that can be corrected which will enable the team to start winning a few games. Getting the turnovers under control has to be the A#1 top priority. Cut the turnovers in half and chances are we win both of the games over the weekend. Some of the turnovers can be attributed to guys not playing together long enough. That's not surprising in the least given our situation. Some of the turnovers, on the other hand, have been stupid mistakes, plain and simple. THOSE can and should be nipped in the bud very quick by the coaching staff.

We haven't had anyone step up and become the leader of the team yet. Erik Bell has come close, but if he's the one then he's got to step up more and take charge as the floor general. We've also got to attack the basket more. So many times against both teams we would get the ball almost right to the rim either with a penetrating guard or one of our bigs and instead of going up strong and at least trying to draw a foul, we'd kick out for a 3. That's great when the 3's are falling...when they're not you get the results we got. And I recognize that those kick-outs are a big piece of our offensive scheme, but you can't ALWAYS kick it out. Late in the game against IUSE we started driving for layups instead, with good results, but it was too little too late. Again, this is something the coaching staff can potentially correct.

The fact is, this team is not yet cohesive, and ultimately we're missing some components that are going to be needed to be successful in D2. We're heavy on shooters and don't have enough guys that can penetrate. And, our bigs don't play like true bigs, they're more 3's than 4's.

So yes, I do agree that we're probably not going to win a ton of games this season. Todd Lee's first team went 7-19. Maybe Coop's doesn't do any better than that. But regardless, I am optimistic that he's going to build the program back up, and do it right.

Comment

Todd Lee did a lot of good things right. He is easily the best coach since Ray Harper.

Comment

Todd Lee did do good things. If I implied otherwise it was unintentional.

And while I felt Happy Osborne was a likable person, and said and did a lot of the right things for KWC and the program off the court/in the community, the more I think about the way he built the teams year after year I come to realize that he either shot for the moon on recruiting and failed to land most of his targets and had to settle afterwards, or he took shortcuts and thought he could succeed on talent alone and not worry about character and making a true program out of it.

So when I see the way Coop has approached things, even though the on-court result for this first season looks like it will be fairly ugly in terms of W/L record, I still think he's building the PROGRAM in the right way.

And really, that's largely what Todd Lee did as well, and we all know his first couple of seasons were less successful than we would have liked, on the court. To be honest, the two situations are pretty similar when you think about it. Lee walked in to a program decimated by NCAA sanctions and probation. Coop walked into a program decimated by a coach's unexpected departure and a disaster of an interim coaching job that left almost no players remaining on the roster (and that's not meant personally against Coach Jason Mays, I believe he did the best he could in a very bad situation, and is a very good person). And yes, Coop probably COULD have kept a couple more of the guys from last year's team, but let's be honest...after watching the way they acted on the court and bench last season, whom amongst them would you have trusted to prove non-toxic to the new staff and team? Brandon Hatton, maybe. But I don't even know if he wanted to come back. Dakota Quinn, certainly would have been a big time addition to this team, and he seemed to be high character, but what I've heard there is that he really didn't even care about playing basketball and that he quit the game to move closer to his girlfriend. Malek Harris, if he wanted to return to KWC, it seems like he would have. I think leaving was his own decision.

Anyway, I wasn't meaning to go into this whole diatribe again, but once I started having thoughts I couldn't turn them off. Is it going to be a long season? Yeah. But certainly no longer than last season's train wreck. And we will come out the other side with positive momentum, unlike last season.

Comment

You are absolutely right. Cooper has positioned the program for future success. How soon we get there is the indeterminable at this point, and I think we all echo that sentiment. He made the right choice to clean house and risk a season or 2 with fewer wins, than to let a culture remain that accepted the type of play and attitude that last year's team had. I fully support his decision in that regard. I was a big Hatton fan and would have loved to see him stay and be the team leader, but for whatever reason it didn't work. And I am okay with that. Cooper has done enough right to earn my loyalty and support. I'm with him through however tough the road may be to get back where KWC basketball belongs.

Comment

While initial reports about Quinn were that he was giving up basketball to play baseball, they weren't true. Hatton was not asked back and Harris didn't want to stay without Hatton (Both D1 transfers who were to be seniors). Here is where everyone is now and how they are doing:

Malek Harris - LSU-Alexandria (NAIA) - 8 pts/4 reb ave 21.5 minutes/game - 13 points high
                          Dakota Quinn - MidAmerica Nazarene (NAIA) - 11 pts/10 reb/4.5 blks ave 30 min/game - 18 points high
                          Evan Milligan - Life (NAIA) - 19 pts/8 reb ave 32 min/game - 28 points high
                          Rasheide Bell - Delta St (D2) - 7 pts/3 reb/3 assts ave 21 min/game - 12 points high
                          Chandler Redix - St. Martins (D2) - 9 pts/4 reb/4 assts ave 23 min/game - 16 points high
                          Colton Elkins - Georgetown (NAIA) - 10 pts/5.5 reb ave 23 min/game - 14 points high - Has only played 2 games and none since early November

Comment

It is a pleasure to read thoughts of good solid basketball fans.

My thoughts: We could have won theses last two games. I agree losing was as much coaching moves as anything else.

Early in the year Cooper's has to be judged by the type (behavior) of players he brought in. I think he has done well.

Later his rotation will be key and he does need to improve it in my mind. Soon we will question his set plays. Seems to me there is too much movement for a young team. Movement causes "hero" passes I think this has led to many turnovers. This should get better with experience but I would make it more simple for now.

Fans need to know if the status of the players that do not get to play.

Comment

Originally posted by WKYDave View Post
                              While initial reports about Quinn were that he was giving up basketball to play baseball, they weren't true. Hatton was not asked back and Harris didn't want to stay without Hatton (Both D1 transfers who were to be seniors). Here is where everyone is now and how they are doing:

Malek Harris - LSU-Alexandria (NAIA) - 8 pts/4 reb ave 21.5 minutes/game - 13 points high
                              Dakota Quinn - MidAmerica Nazarene (NAIA) - 11 pts/10 reb/4.5 blks ave 30 min/game - 18 points high
                              Evan Milligan - Life (NAIA) - 19 pts/8 reb ave 32 min/game - 28 points high
                              Rasheide Bell - Delta St (D2) - 7 pts/3 reb/3 assts ave 21 min/game - 12 points high
                              Chandler Redix - St. Martins (D2) - 9 pts/4 reb/4 assts ave 23 min/game - 16 points high
                              Colton Elkins - Georgetown (NAIA) - 10 pts/5.5 reb ave 23 min/game - 14 points high - Has only played 2 games and none since early November
                              Interesting to hear Dakota is still playing, good for him. I appreciate you providing the stat lines...certainly neat to see. I'm not surprised at Evan's high production. The kid was talented, he just had a bad attitude. Or he let too much of that negativity around him rub off on him.

Comment

Nice to see the support $$$$$ my school received.

The WBB team has signed some really good players for net year. Even (over 5'7") a little size. I'm not sure how we can have so many signed with only one senior but it is what it is.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X