Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

I think he will get to play. Last year late in the season coach played him and he did okay. Started one game scored 16. Godwin should love having him.

I think this is the third or fourth year a player from the club team gets on the V team. nice to see.

Comment

Well, the folks wanting some size inside should be happy! It's always questionable for me when a 7 footer is playing at the D2 level. In his case it seems he would have been a D1 player but for his injuries at WKU. Size like could certainly cause problems in our league. I'm happy to have him, and hope he can give us two injury free seasons.

Comment

He only played basketball a couple of years before WKU. Harper was high on his work ethic and felt he was going to be a contributor before injured. Ar prep school he was 9 pts 9 rebounds per game.

Definite wide body and bruiser but can't shot the ball. Lay ups and jump hooks are his strength. FT % was atrocious last year. Hopefully Coach is teaching him free throws now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CSl...ature=youtu.be

Comment

If you look at verbal commits he had several offers. I can not find any reason for not signing him. He is worth the time and effort it will take. I do not think his coach used him enough last year.

I suspect our new coach and Ray should get a thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Looking For 9 View Post
              If you look at verbal commits he had several offers. I can not find any reason for not signing him. He is worth the time and effort it will take. I do not think his coach used him enough last year.

I suspect our new coach and Ray should get a thank you.
              I agree, and no coach worth their paycheck is going to turn down that kind of size, at least not without a really good reason. At this point it sounds like the roster is complete, so the next set of questions are #1 Will the staff be able to get Mohamed reclassified to a Soph? and #2 Of our 7 true freshmen who will be redshirted?

I'm pretty confident we will NOT see redshirts for Dixon or Godwin. Probably not Urkis either. But it seems to me that at least 2-3 of the others will almost HAVE to redshirt.

The roster currently stands with 1 SR (Gilmer, promoted from the club team), 7 JR (including Arisha, whom they want to reclassify), 1 Soph and 7 Frosh. That's a total of 16 players. I'm not clear at all on how many you're allowed to dress/play. I always thought you could dress out 12 players, but we've had teams come into the sportscenter with 15 and 16 guys dressed and going through warmups (Salem, for example). So I was never really sure how that worked. But, say we keep 14 guys on the "active" roster, 2 will have to redshirt. Or 12 with 4 RS's. That will at least help us a little in balancing next year's Soph and Frosh. Coach mentioned on more than one occasion that his goal is to eventually have the roster balanced across class levels, but we're pretty far out of whack as of right now (understandably).

I guess the other option would be to maybe redshirt one or two of the Juniors. But I'm not sure if they'd want to do that.

Comment

I would only redshirt if the player needs to get stronger, rehab from injury, help with school work. In my view few really get better by redshirting.

I like the idea of getting them reclassified.

Cooper was part of getting a Bell player 7 years so he should know how if AD goes along. Seems Smith, Hopewell and Bezold might could get an extra year.

I think Cooper plans to play a lot of players and may adjust roster game to game. I think it is important that the Ky. signees have a good experience.

Comment

Originally posted by kdubnation View Post
                  I'm not clear at all on how many you're allowed to dress/play. I always thought you could dress out 12 players, but we've had teams come into the sportscenter with 15 and 16 guys dressed and going through warmups (Salem, for example). So I was never really sure how that worked. But, say we keep 14 guys on the "active" roster, 2 will have to redshirt. Or 12 with 4 RS's. .
                  I am pretty sure a team can "dress" up to 16 players. BU does it all the time. Now whether the team would take 16 players on the road is a different story. Why have a couple of the kids miss classes when they aren't going to see the court? I wonder if Cooper would want to redshirt much. Scotty does not do it much except like when 9 said--injury,etc. Cooper is in a little different situation right now with all the new players, but I think he would want them to get as much experience right away because he is planning on bringing more new players each year.

Comment

Agree

Comment

Hats off to coach Coop great exhibition games. Hats off to WBB coaches for the new additions. A little bigger and stronger than most and really good scorers.

Interesting times at KWC.

Comment

• Comment

Considering the Screamin Eagles post season prowess during the Watson era, i can understand the fear. Lol

Comment

Looks like we stole Scotty's Xavier exhibition this year ... I like that we have 3 solid D1 exhibitions which, even though they're likely to see us thumped pretty good, will be some good $ into the program.

Comment

Originally posted by kdubnation View Post
                              Looks like we stole Scotty's Xavier exhibition this year ... I like that we have 3 solid D1 exhibitions which, even though they're likely to see us thumped pretty good, will be some good $ into the program.
                              Xavier hasn't played Bellarmine since the Knights beat them in 2010-11 and very nearly won again the next season. Not sure they'll invite BU back for awhile.

KWC's schedule does look good, though, and I'm wishing Coach Coop the best.

Comment

Originally posted by BellarmineGrad View Post
                                Xavier hasn't played Bellarmine since the Knights beat them in 2010-11 and very nearly won again the next season. Not sure they'll invite BU back for awhile.

KWC's schedule does look good, though, and I'm wishing Coach Coop the best.
                                Ah, my mistake, I thought you guys had been playing them on the regular. Was that Cincinnati, then?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X