Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New bellarmine thread

Nothing much of note, but here's a brief video interview, by the Cincy paper, of Nick Thelen:
    https://www.cincinnati.com/videos/sp...ll/2005896002/

Nice in-region, road win tonight. Good job by the defense. And great to see these two programs playing each other again.

Comment

Knights played well last night. It's a little hard to judge the competition. KWC could not match up well, but I thought they did a good job of defending and contesting shots. Bellarmine is not a great 3 shooting team, and I thought they may have taken some questionable 3's last night. They are not terrible outside shooters, its just that they clearly have the ability to completely overwhelm most of their schedule in the paint. Eberhard played very well, with the exception of missing an uncharacteristally high number of shots around the basket. Eberhard has the ability to make Corbett look awfully good with his interior passing. Jenkins was also very good passing. At this point, however, they both seem to want to make 1 or 2 really boneheaded plays per game. ("Hey Moves, STFU, the team only had 6 TO's last night")

Can't back it up with any objective evidence, but the team just seems to play better with Daniel in the game. I sometimes think that the only difference between Ramser and the venerable Rusty Troutman is confidence.
      Last edited by Knightmoves; 11-15-2018, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
        Knights played well last night. It's a little hard to judge the competition. KWC could not match up well, but I thought they did a good job of defending and contesting shots. Bellarmine is not a great 3 shooting team, and I thought they may have taken some questionable 3's last night. They are not terrible outside shooters, its just that they clearly have the ability to completely overwhelm most of their schedule in the paint. Eberhard played very well, with the exception of missing an uncharacteristally high number of shots around the basket. Eberhard has the ability to make Corbett look awfully good with his interior passing. Jenkins was also very good passing. At this point, however, they both seem to want to make 1 or 2 really boneheaded plays per game. ("Hey Moves, STFU, the team only had 6 TO's last night")

Can't back it up with any objective evidence, but the team just seems to play better with Daniel in the game. I sometimes think that the only difference between Ramser and the venerable Rusty Troutman is confidence.
        Ramser is Scotty's consummate team player - does the little things that don't always get on the score sheet. Plays good defense, knows when to rotate when BU double teams, etc. So far this season he usually makes the layup when he flashes to the basket and his teammates get him the ball, which he sometimes fell short last year.

Comment

Originally posted by BGrad1971 View Post
          Ramser is Scotty's consummate team player - does the little things that don't always get on the score sheet. Plays good defense, knows when to rotate when BU double teams, etc. So far this season he usually makes the layup when he flashes to the basket and his teammates get him the ball, which he sometimes fell short last year.
          He is the guy to make the cut to the basket. He is definitely more confident this year in regards to doing that. He still remains a bit shy about putting up the open outside shot. It's a shame because he probably is the best shooter when he has confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightStalker View Post
            It's a shame because he probably is the best shooter when he has confidence.
            Yeah, he's a solid role player and fits the system well, but you can't say he's a great outside shooter when he never has the confidence. Scoring wasn't even his thing in high school (to be fair, Trinity apparently had a pretty loaded squad around that time, which is weird to think, at least with regard to hoops).

Comment

I was looking at the Bellarmine record book last night and noticed that Scotty needs 30 wins this season to tie Joe Riebel for the most in school history. Its doable this season. 27 regular season game+3 potential GLVC tournament games+ 6 potential NCAA tournament games means there are 36 games that could be played this season. An undefeated season would make the GLVC championship game the record breaker.

Comment

• Just returned from the taping of the Scotty D show (which will air at 10:30 Saturday morning on WBNA 21). He told us privately that he plans to redshirt at least 3 players this year. While he gave not details I would guess that Palombizio would be one, and possibly the freshman Baylor Younker. Coach said he thinks that Younker has a legitimate 3 point shot. It will be interesting to see how things play out.

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
                  I was looking at the Bellarmine record book last night and noticed that Scotty needs 30 wins this season to tie Joe Riebel for the most in school history.
                  Interesting -- something of a contrast in success. Admittedly, I'm much more familiar with the later-era Reibel, when there were some good seasons and some big wins, but he generally seemed to be mailing it in.

Those later Reibel teams had talent, though. If Davenport had coached them up, I submit that there would've been much more in the way of NCAA berths, tourney wins, and perhaps even an E8 or two. He could've taken the '88-'89 and '90-'91 squads, for example, even deeper in the tournament.

To be fair, Davenport enjoys a lot more in the way of administrative support, a bigger staff, and more resources such as in strength and conditioning.
                  Last edited by BellarmineGrad; 11-21-2018, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by #1KnightFan View Post
                    Just returned from the taping of the Scotty D show (which will air at 10:30 Saturday morning on WBNA 21). He told us privately that he plans to redshirt at least 3 players this year. While he gave not details I would guess that Palombizio would be one, and possibly the freshman Baylor Younker. Coach said he thinks that Younker has a legitimate 3 point shot. It will be interesting to see how things play out.
                    So far this regular season we have not seen Palo, Younker, Penny and Tipton. I suppose if Palo could get healthy then the 3 freshmen would be the red shirts. However, I think Palo would be the first to redshirt if he still can't practice yet. It would take him a month or so once healthy to be ready to play significant time. Plus, I really can only remember Scotty redshirting a lot of players only for injuries. Now he did redshirt Betz last season but didn't start the year with some kind of injury? Imagine if Palo is one of the three then Younker and Penny are the other two. Younker could be the type that an extra year would really help in his development. Considering the strength of BU's frontcourt this year, he would rarely see any time at all. I think Penny is likely as he may have needed some time to clear up his legal issue, and thus has not had time to fully devote to the team. I say that he is likely to be a redshirt since I think he shows he has some talent and I think he would have seen some playing time by now. I do believe that if we don't see Tipton in the next lopsided win, then he too is being redshirted. It may be the case that they haven't decided about Palo yet and thus may redshirt 4.

Comment

Good game by the Knights yesterday. Adam looked terrific scoring the ball but the six turnovers weren't great (although one was him trying to get his buddy Skyler a bucket). The Knight's defense made me very optimistic, it's great team defense that can help carry the team on the rare off shooting day. Also really liked Ramser's toughness. He only totalled 2 points but he did all the intangibles that winning teams need.

Comment

Good game yesterday but Wayne St. was truly overmatched. BU intensity and speed of play and deep bench tends to wear out teams that don't have a deep bench. I agree Bu's defense looks good, looking forward to seeing how they do against a better team (maybe Lindenwood?). Lewis beat Ferris State yesterday so it'll be interesting to see how Lewis fares in GLVC this year. Also good to see Weyer focusing on his inside moves instead of just taking the 3 point shot. Cook still in a little bit of a slump but Chitty played a better game yesterday - really pushing the ball up court and cutting down on the turnovers.

Comment

Yes, it's interesting (and great to witness) how, based on depth and defense, this squad is forging an identity different from the successful BU teams of the past decade or so.

Nice win on Saturday. Lindenwood appears capable of presenting more of a challenge; they had a good showing out in Cali to kickoff the season. In contrast to BU, they don't look to be too deep, and the Knights' length can wear down Diekvoss. Let's keep that home winning streak going.

Comment

I know it is early but looking at the stats. Cook averaged 16.6 minutes as a freshman and 22 minutes last year, starting most of the time, this year only averaging 17 minutes per game and coming off of the bench.
                            BU is a deep team, good problem to have, just seems like a lack of confidence could be hurting a few of the guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Knights Hall View Post
                              I know it is early but looking at the stats. Cook averaged 16.6 minutes as a freshman and 22 minutes last year, starting most of the time, this year only averaging 17 minutes per game and coming off of the bench.
                              BU is a deep team, good problem to have, just seems like a lack of confidence could be hurting a few of the guys.
                              The big difference is that C.C. has played so well and looks 100% healthy. I actually think the guy who may start giving up more minutes is A.E. I like to see the team play without him in games that are not in doubt. It will make them better next season. Everybody is rooting hard for Cook to break out. He finished the season extremely well last year. He does not seem well suited for the sub role, he seems to need to get into the flow and be patient. It's hard to do with limited minutes. It is amazing that a guy with that much talent is not getting more minutes. I do think by the end of the season, you will see C.C., Cook, and Weyer playing almost identical minutes. I'd still like to see the 4 big guys in the game at once. Cook certainly has the physical ability to guard anybody that Daniel Ramser can guard. This BU team has the ability to play "positionless" basketball.

BTW, the starters are shooting 61% from the field.

Comment

• Bellarmine signed new players today.

https://athletics.bellarmine.edu/new...-signings.aspx

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X