Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 NC NOT in KC??

Re: 2018 NC NOT in KC??

Sporting KC / Childrens Mercy Park really screwed Kansas City and the MIAA. They just notified them that they are wanting to redo their pitch after the season (which could be as late as Dec 8) but are unwilling to wait until after the NC game. I would hope that they are having to make a big payout to the MIAA for breaking the contract! Needless to say, you can bet that it screws over KC in the long run with the NCAA. It would leave a bad impression in my mind if I was on a decision making board in the future and the city of Kansas City puts in to host other championships (which they do.)

With such short notice, they are rebidding this year separate, and do the other 3 years left on the contract later.
    Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

This is rather big news for a Monday afternoon. It will be interesting to see who bids for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Bitner View Post
        This is rather big news for a Monday afternoon. It will be interesting to see who bids for it.
        I'm guessing you can start with the locations the bid for it before. I can't find the list from who the finalists were before. I believe Detroit was one of them. I think Ford Field put in a bid to host both the D2 and D3 championship games on the same day or weekend.
        2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
          I'm guessing you can start with the locations the bid for it before. I can't find the list from who the finalists were before. I believe Detroit was one of them. I think Ford Field put in a bid to host both the D2 and D3 championship games on the same day or weekend.
          Also think a HS in Arkansas was a finalist?
          IH8FERRIS

Comment

Attendance in KC was as strong as it's been in awhile, but how much of that had to do with two years with NWMSU and one with Mankato?

Comment

Florence, Ala., and Bentonville, Ark. were the other finalists last time.

Comment

I believe that was the previous- the first time that KC won it. Not sure who the finalists were this last time- when it was announced in the spring
                Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                  Attendance in KC was as strong as it's been in awhile, but how much of that had to do with two years with NWMSU and one with Mankato?
                  Ummm...4,259 last year is the lowest DII Champ game attendance since 2010 (4,027) and 4th lowest attendance since the inception of the DII NC Game in 1973.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
                    I know they put the bid in. Not sure if it was a both or nothing. And the venue works well even with a smaller crowd. The HS champ games are played there and at least sitting in the stands, the atmosphere was pretty sweet. (I know folks will know the "look" etc., but don't knock it till you've been there.)

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                      Ummm...4,259 last year is the lowest DII Champ game attendance since 2010 (4,027) and 4th lowest attendance since the inception of the DII NC Game in 1973.
                      And before then? The two highest since 2002, including the highest ever

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                        I imagine that unless there is an adjacent team playing attendance will continue to creep down. Nobody local is going for the hell of it. Those days are gone. Too many options to watch something without leaving your indentation on the couch. Cost of travel is the big prohibition. Unless your kid is playing in the game or you're directly affected by the outcome its a hard sell.

Comment

And before then? The two highest since 2002, including the highest ever
                          And the first year the attendance was on par with what Braley was getting at the end of it's run. Small sample size but it seems the only way KC pull a "big" crowds is if local NW Missouri is in the game. Face it, absent the truly "local" team in the game, this game is going to draw somewhere between 4 and 9 thousand. Local and casual fans from the local community are just not going to attend in big numbers for a game they don't really care about.

Only chance you have to move the needle (and that is probably only into the 11K range) is to put the game in a destination location were tourists go to outside of the football game. I'd be much more inclined to go to a game in December in Orlando with all there is to do outside of the game that to go to KC for a 3 hour football game.
                          Last edited by boatcapt; 09-04-2018, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BearcatDude View Post
                            I believe that was the previous- the first time that KC won it. Not sure who the finalists were this last time- when it was announced in the spring
                            They moved up the dates so early last time no one knew the bids were open!!
                            Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Florence, Ala., and Bentonville, Ark. were the other finalists last time.
                              I just emailed folks in Florence and here in Pensacola.

We shall see how this all unfolds.

Sure didn't see this coming!
                              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X