Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IUP Football 2020

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by IUP412 View Post

    Yes I will blast away. U are what your record is and I will take 31-6 with YES limited resources regarding schollies and facilities. Also I like a COACH that speaks his mind and doesn't try to "bull s*** his way through interviews with coach speak and cliches like his predecessor. Tort is a down to earth guy who treats all with respect and doesn't try to big time people or players. Ever see the sidelines on game days littered with former players. And yes this is College football not HS or pop Warner if u get called out so be it. if that rubs the sensitive ones the wrong way tough. If anything he has overachieved, heck his predecessor did less and look where that got him...and please STOP with the resources the stadium is awful, the press box a travesty and the budget is show strings on a very old shoe. In addition u guys are calling for staff shake ups, Please he should be commended for keeping a D2 staff together, if u dont think those assistants had chances to leave u "dont think" at all...just sayin
    Doesn't IUP have more scholarships to offer than the rest of the publics in the PSAC?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by IUP412 View Post

      Yes I will blast away. U are what your record is and I will take 31-6 with YES limited resources regarding schollies and facilities. Also I like a COACH that speaks his mind and doesn't try to "bull s*** his way through interviews with coach speak and cliches like his predecessor. Tort is a down to earth guy who treats all with respect and doesn't try to big time people or players. Ever see the sidelines on game days littered with former players. And yes this is College football not HS or pop Warner if u get called out so be it. if that rubs the sensitive ones the wrong way tough. If anything he has overachieved, heck his predecessor did less and look where that got him...and please STOP with the resources the stadium is awful, the press box a travesty and the budget is show strings on a very old shoe. In addition u guys are calling for staff shake ups, Please he should be commended for keeping a D2 staff together, if u dont think those assistants had chances to leave u "dont think" at all...just sayin
      I pretty much agreed with you until this point. I don't think its a positive to have assistant coaches that have had a chance to move up and don't - it means their too comfortable and not very ambitious. Look at the guy from Cignetti's staff that went to urbana - those are the guys you should be looking for, that give you that extra little advantage - do you think the Rock OC will stay forever ? . I agree tort has done well with Transfers, but so did Cignetti, with Carl Fleming, Dan Matha, DeAntwan Williams, Eric Williams, Lenny Williams, Drew Carswell, brock Diccicio, . . . So I'm with Nation, silly to change coaches with this record, but there is room for improvement. . . Just Sayin

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

        Doesn't IUP have more scholarships to offer than the rest of the publics in the PSAC?
        Sure but still well below the perennial powers outside the PSAC.

        The stadium could use an overhaul on the home side - maybe that is in the works. The new visitor stands, newer turf, and video board help a lot but the home side is rough. As a facility it looks out of place compared to their basketball facilities. I still don't understand why they don't partner up with the county to get state money toward a new stadium that doubles as the Indiana County Fair complex. Otherwise they'll need to pony up the full cost. A new home side complete with a modern press box and president's box - possibly even a rental suite - would really elevate that program.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

          Doesn't IUP have more scholarships to offer than the rest of the publics in the PSAC?
          Yes, it is believed they have around 25 - give or take a few - equivalences. From what I learned over the years, those scholarships are funded by donation. I'm pretty sure facilities are funded by the School's budget. IUP upgraded the visitor side of the stadium last year. The chief complaint is that there are high schools with more modern and amenity laden facilities than IUP. Bring a can of raid to fight of the hornets that live in the fence tubing If you attend an early fall game and sit in the home side up against the top railing. The press box is old, cramped, and apparently not easy to access. The weight room is a bump out in the locker room with a maybe four racks. But I think the point is that those things don't really matter. Are they first class, no. Are they adequate, yes. It's just something else IUP fans complain about when we get on a complaining roll because some think- and it's not an outlandish thought - in the stiff competition of recruiting, better facilities can make a difference. IUP could have a mini version of Heinz field and the results would still be the same - a winning organization trying to find that next bump into consistently beating chief rivals and at least SR1 dominance and a fan base segment still complaining about something.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

            Sure but still well below the perennial powers outside the PSAC.

            The stadium could use an overhaul on the home side - maybe that is in the works. The new visitor stands, newer turf, and video board help a lot but the home side is rough. As a facility it looks out of place compared to their basketball facilities. I still don't understand why they don't partner up with the county to get state money toward a new stadium that doubles as the Indiana County Fair complex. Otherwise they'll need to pony up the full cost. A new home side complete with a modern press box and president's box - possibly even a rental suite - would really elevate that program.
            Personally I think all 'track' stadiums are awful. The fans are further off the field, and aesthetically they just look ugly. Upgrades would help but as long as it's still a track stadium it's the old lipstick-on-a-pig fix.

            They have the room there to do a total rebuild although that's not going to happen. There are some really easy, quick-fix items that need done ... but just never get done. The chain-link fencing around the perimeter is horrendous, along with the terrible-looking and falling-apart concrete wall on the visitor side. The old bleachers used to hide it, but not so anymore. The home side is a total reboot. It needs torn down and rebuilt. It's a matter of time until the pressbox collapses or the top railing along the bleachers gives out and kills somebody. The restrooms on the home side were probably state of the art in 1975. The concession stand under the home bleachers is no longer functional and closed a few years ago. It's an average high school stadium posing as a D2. stadium.

            It is stunning how the KCAC is so pristine and Miller is such a dump. Now, if you had to pick one to pump millions in to ... you'd pick the KCAC every time. It's use goes far beyond basketball. Miller gets used by the public, what, 5-6 times a year. They play some other sports there but nobody attends.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
              Yes, it is believed they have around 25 - give or take a few - equivalences. From what I learned over the years, those scholarships are funded by donation. I'm pretty sure facilities are funded by the School's budget. IUP upgraded the visitor side of the stadium last year. The chief complaint is that there are high schools with more modern and amenity laden facilities than IUP. Bring a can of raid to fight of the hornets that live in the fence tubing If you attend an early fall game and sit in the home side up against the top railing. The press box is old, cramped, and apparently not easy to access. The weight room is a bump out in the locker room with a maybe four racks. But I think the point is that those things don't really matter. Are they first class, no. Are they adequate, yes. It's just something else IUP fans complain about when we get on a complaining roll because some think- and it's not an outlandish thought - in the stiff competition of recruiting, better facilities can make a difference. IUP could have a mini version of Heinz field and the results would still be the same - a winning organization trying to find that next bump into consistently beating chief rivals and at least SR1 dominance and a fan base segment still complaining about something.

              Monk: I don't disagree with you often but this is certainly one case. Now, you can make a case IUP has had a ton of football success (mostly on a regional level) over the past 30-40 years. And, they did that with the current facilities. They also did that by having far more scholarship money than everybody else (in the PSAC). Money in the pocket helped sway kids to overlook many things.

              It's not 1985, 1995 or 2005, either. The KCAC turned a strong basketball program in to a national brand on this level. The IUP men have played in the national title game twice in the past decade. The women have been to the past two Elite Eights. Joe Lombardi doesn't even leave Indiana to recruit and he signs players from all over the country (and globe). He has history, tradition, brand, money and arguably one of the best facilities in the country. The football program has all of those but the last one.

              This may not be a popular comment on this side of the board but the basketball programs have blown past the football program over the past decade. Joe's won the West 10 straight years, played in the national title game twice, multiple Regional Titles, first team All-Americans, etc. Heck, the women's program may be the strongest on campus right now. You go to the KCAC on a Saturday night and it feels like a D1 basketball game. Miller Stadium feels like you're at a Class 4A WPIAL game.

              If you think facilities and amenities don't play a MAJOR role in recruiting today's top athletes ... I'm afraid I've got some bad news. When you get in to those top-level players ... I mean the Max Redfield-type transfers ... you and everybody else is going after them. Only so many schools can afford them. So, you have Grand Valley, Ashland, Valdosta, West Florida (to name a few heavyweights) ... those prized recruits see their facilities and ours ... all are offering a full ride so the money factor is out. You aren't winning that battle very often.
              Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 12-06-2019, 09:40 AM.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

                Personally I think all 'track' stadiums are awful. The fans are further off the field, and aesthetically they just look ugly. Upgrades would help but as long as it's still a track stadium it's the old lipstick-on-a-pig fix.

                They have the room there to do a total rebuild although that's not going to happen. There are some really easy, quick-fix items that need done ... but just never get done. The chain-link fencing around the perimeter is horrendous, along with the terrible-looking and falling-apart concrete wall on the visitor side. The old bleachers used to hide it, but not so anymore. The home side is a total reboot. It needs torn down and rebuilt. It's a matter of time until the pressbox collapses or the top railing along the bleachers gives out and kills somebody. The restrooms on the home side were probably state of the art in 1975. The concession stand under the home bleachers is no longer functional and closed a few years ago. It's an average high school stadium posing as a D2. stadium.

                It is stunning how the KCAC is so pristine and Miller is such a dump. Now, if you had to pick one to pump millions in to ... you'd pick the KCAC every time. It's use goes far beyond basketball. Miller gets used by the public, what, 5-6 times a year. They play some other sports there but nobody attends.
                I don't think Miller is a dump. The home side is tired and outdated. It is largely the same as it was 30 years ago.

                You may not like track stadiums, but I think you'd be okay with IUP having stadiums like Ferris State and Northwest Missouri State.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

                  Sure but still well below the perennial powers outside the PSAC.

                  The stadium could use an overhaul on the home side - maybe that is in the works. The new visitor stands, newer turf, and video board help a lot but the home side is rough. As a facility it looks out of place compared to their basketball facilities. I still don't understand why they don't partner up with the county to get state money toward a new stadium that doubles as the Indiana County Fair complex. Otherwise they'll need to pony up the full cost. A new home side complete with a modern press box and president's box - possibly even a rental suite - would really elevate that program.
                  The 50 year old correctional facility style perimeter fencing needs to go as well.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
                    Yes, it is believed they have around 25 - give or take a few - equivalences. From what I learned over the years, those scholarships are funded by donation. I'm pretty sure facilities are funded by the School's budget. IUP upgraded the visitor side of the stadium last year. The chief complaint is that there are high schools with more modern and amenity laden facilities than IUP. Bring a can of raid to fight of the hornets that live in the fence tubing If you attend an early fall game and sit in the home side up against the top railing. The press box is old, cramped, and apparently not easy to access. The weight room is a bump out in the locker room with a maybe four racks. But I think the point is that those things don't really matter. Are they first class, no. Are they adequate, yes. It's just something else IUP fans complain about when we get on a complaining roll because some think- and it's not an outlandish thought - in the stiff competition of recruiting, better facilities can make a difference. IUP could have a mini version of Heinz field and the results would still be the same - a winning organization trying to find that next bump into consistently beating chief rivals and at least SR1 dominance and a fan base segment still complaining about something.
                    Millersville’s stadium is nicer than IUP’s. The only 2 things better at the Cig is our scoreboard is nicer and our visiting side has restrooms.

                    So...I’m not sure facilities equate with on the field results.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                      If you think facilities and amenities don't play a MAJOR role in recruiting today's top athletes ... I'm afraid I've got some bad news. When you get in to those top-level players ... I mean the Max Redfield-type transfers ... you and everybody else is going after them. Only so many schools can afford them. So, you have Grand Valley, Ashland, Valdosta, West Florida (to name a few heavyweights) ... those prized recruits see their facilities and ours ... all are offering a full ride so the money factor is out. You aren't winning that battle very often.
                      I would think that facilities are a little lower on the list than something we're missing here. Redfield and Maxwell had their reasons for coming to IUP and those reasons had to be more important than facilities. However any edge - either perceived or actual - that a program can gain in recruiting those top athletes is a plus.

                      Here's a study that although may not be directly related to recruiting top athletes dropping down an level or two, is still an interesting read.



                      When athletic departments open new facilities, they often speak of these facilities as being necessary for “keeping up with the competition” as they attempt to erect facilities similar to their conference brethren. But what does this mean and does it have any significant impact on recruiting?

                      Comment


                      • Nation - LoL. Irrational. I been called far worse. To be called that by you is hilarious. Thanks for the laugh.

                        412, you keep bringing up $$. That has nothing to do with coach Tort's conduct. The way he carries himself and seeking to place blame elsewhere (other than inward) is my issue. As I said and will say again, I don't care if he is 34-0, he is not a leader to emulate, nor one to eagerly follow. I expect the head coach to lead by example. Not by blaming officials when his team screws up. Not by repeatedly failing to have his team game ready from the opening kickoff. Failing to discipline (bench them for a spell) his players for repeated personal fouls. By trying to deflect the blame and place responsibility elsewhere ,he just ensures it will repeat at IUP football for as long as he is the coach.

                        I hold him directly responsible for the last two seasons conduct and results. If you truly want to be a regional contender, look beyond coach Tort. He will just disappoint you if he stays.

                        If you only care for wining, you are probably a Harbough fan. He is a winning coach for Michigan, but he is still a miserable PoS. I wouldn't want any part of him leading my college team either. Winning is not everything. How the coach, and be reflection the team, carries themselves is far more important. Look at James Franklin and the Army coach Jeff Monken for better role models on how to be a head coach and lead by example.

                        Yes, I don't care for coach Tort. there I said it and now i am free....... free do you hear me, freeeeeeeeeeeee..

                        Not a popular sentiment here, but then I really don't care. Truth sometimes is hard to accept.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by IUP Ebbs View Post
                          Yes, I don't care for coach Tort. there I said it and now i am free....... free do you hear me, freeeeeeeeeeeee..
                          Not a popular sentiment here, but then I really don't care. Truth sometimes is hard to accept.
                          Whether you care for him doesn't matter. If there were character issues they were addressed in the hiring process. It doesn't matter because he is the coach now and he's 31-6. You don't fire a 31-6 coach. In fact, you don't even raise the issue of firing a 31-6 coach unless there is some major abuse or infraction he is guilty of. Woody Hayes punched one of his players. For something that egregious you can go there but there is no reason to even think about it in Tort's case.

                          Comment


                          • Well, IUP has one player that has just enter into the Transfer Portal. CB Obi Anyatonwu

                            https://twitter.com/Retr0_4/status/1202441400459157505


                            He started 3 games in 2017 as a true freshman.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
                              Well, IUP has one player that has just enter into the Transfer Portal. CB Obi Anyatonwu

                              https://twitter.com/Retr0_4/status/1202441400459157505


                              He started 3 games in 2017 as a true freshman.
                              He missed this whole past season, correct? He just passed by is my guess.

                              Comment


                              • Who?

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X