• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Won by 27.
    Against a Class AA high school team.

Comment

Won by 27.

I get they won by 27. But, that's a team they should have beat by 65.

The special teams are beyond train wreck status at this point.

That was horrendous today. They were lucky they were playing who they were.

Yeah, this stuff doesn't matter playing the peasants. But, it will soon. And, it keeps happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I get they won by 27. But, that's a team they should have beat by 65.

The special teams are beyond train wreck status at this point.

That was horrendous today. They were lucky they were playing who they were.

Yeah, this stuff doesn't matter playing the peasants. But, it will soon. And, it keeps happening.
        I get all that. I just think it's hard to maintain your focus playing weak team after weak team.

Comment

• If anybody needed an excuse to get to campus ... this upcoming weekend may be the best IUP sports weekend ever.

Men's basketball is home Friday and Saturday night. Football is home Saturday afternoon. Women's basketball is home (Field House) Saturday and Sunday.

Not a real good weekend for the athletic department staff ... they will be crazy.

Comment

I get all that. I just think it's hard to maintain your focus playing weak team after weak team.

Comment

• Love the avatar! Yes, the scheduling doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Comment

If anybody needed an excuse to get to campus ... this upcoming weekend may be the best IUP sports weekend ever.

Men's basketball is home Friday and Saturday night. Football is home Saturday afternoon. Women's basketball is home (Field House) Saturday and Sunday.

Not a real good weekend for the athletic department staff ... they will be crazy.
                I'd love to be in Indiana - PA this weekend. Not in the cards, though (Have to watch on my computer).

Comment

• I know this wasn't the intent of your post, but I'll say this... In different posts throughout this year, I've seen people (IUP fans) celebrating their crossover schedule for next year. SRU and Cal will both be pretty good. Then you have Shepherd and Kutztown to round out West Chester as the last crossover opponent. That's a BRUTAL schedule. To a point, I understand why fans might be excited about playing multiple really good teams (and I kinda am), but will everybody be as excited if they finish with 3 losses and miss the playoffs?

The optics of how success is viewed at all levels of college football - right or wrong - is only based on wins and losses. You're seeing that in Division 1 now. That's why all of these regional rivalry games are dying. That's why there are so few exciting out of conference games early in the year every season. Teams don't want to schedule other teams that might be able to beat them, because nobody cares that you played a good team really close if it's still a loss. The selection committee has reciprocated confirmation in the idea that it's only about wins and losses, not SOS. The national media and the "voters" have expressed the same sentiment. Has an FBS Power 5 team ever gone 8 weeks into a college football season playing a schedule as weak as Minnesota has? I don't know, but they're 8-0 and a media darling of college football because of it. The same existed for Syracuse last year. They played nobody and went 9-3, losing to the only 3 teams on their schedule with a pulse. But the media loved them because they won 9 games.

I guess my point is that perception in college football is only based on wins and losses if you aren't a brand program. Schedule games you can win. Even at this level. I don't care what anybody says, I'd be fine playing Millersville and Lock Haven every year because IUP wins those games. I've long supported playing exciting games and other good teams, but is there anything to gain from it when you're going to get into the playoffs if you win all of your games? So many people complained about Shepherd playing in a perceived weak MEC for years, but they won their games and always got a top 3 seed in the playoffs.

If you assume IUP plays a winnable non-conference opponent in week 1, IUP should have the talent (most years) to go out and win 8 of the 11 games on their schedule with some sort of ease. Assume that they play a good SRU and Cal team every year and a good crossover game somewhere in the schedule. If you win 2 of those 3, you're in the playoffs. IUP's crossover schedule was as bad as it could be this year. Barring something unforeseen happening, they'll finish 10-1 and be awarded no worse than the 3 or 4 seed in the playoffs. I take that every year with the understanding that if they win 3 of the 3 tough games on their schedule they get a 1 or 2 seed.

Let's be honest, if IUP stubs their toe against a middle of the pack or bottom-feeder team in the PSAC, they probably don't deserve to be in the playoffs anyways. If Division 1 programs are willing to just stop playing rivalry games that have been played for a hundred years or more in some cases just to get another W on their schedule, then I don't advocate for IUP fans wanting to play the toughest crossover schedule that the PSAC can offer.

Comment

every year around this time there is a let Down. In 2017 it was the clarion game. Last year they folded after rock beat them. This year is not so bad as they as they get focused for next week. I remember the 2012 team almost losing to Gannon and and losing to boro the next. Year late in the season

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I know this wasn't the intent of your post, but I'll say this... In different posts throughout this year, I've seen people (IUP fans) celebrating their crossover schedule for next year. SRU and Cal will both be pretty good. Then you have Shepherd and Kutztown to round out West Chester as the last crossover opponent. That's a BRUTAL schedule. To a point, I understand why fans might be excited about playing multiple really good teams (and I kinda am), but will everybody be as excited if they finish with 3 losses and miss the playoffs?

The optics of how success is viewed at all levels of college football - right or wrong - is only based on wins and losses. You're seeing that in Division 1 now. That's why all of these regional rivalry games are dying. That's why there are so few exciting out of conference games early in the year every season. Teams don't want to schedule other teams that might be able to beat them, because nobody cares that you played a good team really close if it's still a loss. The selection committee has reciprocated confirmation in the idea that it's only about wins and losses, not SOS. The national media and the "voters" have expressed the same sentiment. Has an FBS Power 5 team ever gone 8 weeks into a college football season playing a schedule as weak as Minnesota has? I don't know, but they're 8-0 and a media darling of college football because of it. The same existed for Syracuse last year. They played nobody and went 9-3, losing to the only 3 teams on their schedule with a pulse. But the media loved them because they won 9 games.

I guess my point is that perception in college football is only based on wins and losses if you aren't a brand program. Schedule games you can win. Even at this level. I don't care what anybody says, I'd be fine playing Millersville and Lock Haven every year because IUP wins those games. I've long supported playing exciting games and other good teams, but is there anything to gain from it when you're going to get into the playoffs if you win all of your games? So many people complained about Shepherd playing in a perceived weak MEC for years, but they won their games and always got a top 3 seed in the playoffs.

If you assume IUP plays a winnable non-conference opponent in week 1, IUP should have the talent (most years) to go out and win 8 of the 11 games on their schedule with some sort of ease. Assume that they play a good SRU and Cal team every year and a good crossover game somewhere in the schedule. If you win 2 of those 3, you're in the playoffs. IUP's crossover schedule was as bad as it could be this year. Barring something unforeseen happening, they'll finish 10-1 and be awarded no worse than the 3 or 4 seed in the playoffs. I take that every year with the understanding that if they win 3 of the 3 tough games on their schedule they get a 1 or 2 seed.

Let's be honest, if IUP stubs their toe against a middle of the pack or bottom-feeder team in the PSAC, they probably don't deserve to be in the playoffs anyways. If Division 1 programs are willing to just stop playing rivalry games that have been played for a hundred years or more in some cases just to get another W on their schedule, then I don't advocate for IUP fans wanting to play the toughest crossover schedule that the PSAC can offer.

No program at IUP can better be a point of your theory than the other prominent team across the parking lot from Miller Stadium. Joe Lombardi has routinely played some of the hardest non-conference schedules in the country -- year after year. It's actually cost him two tournaments in the past decade. Had they just played Creampuff State instead of one of the many marquee match-ups, ...

But, football-wise, ... with Shepherd and Kutztown next year (both on the road) ... no chance they play anybody other than a creampuff. I do think they need to play a non-conference game next year as they'll be breaking in a new QB (although he will have two years in the program by then).

I must admit I've grown quite comfortable having a big-arm QB back there ... not sure I really want to go back to the RPO stuff. I assume we'll go back to more of a 'Lenny-style' offense next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

every year around this time there is a let Down. In 2017 it was the clarion game. Last year they folded after rock beat them. This year is not so bad as they as they get focused for next week. I remember the 2012 team almost losing to Gannon and and losing to boro the next. Year late in the season
                        I'm not much concerned with SH tossing for 300-some yards. A lot of that came in the second half when IUP's starters were mainly standing on the sideline with pads off.

My big concern as we're now in November:

* Field Goals: 3-for-7 on the season (all three made kicks less than 29 yards)

* Punt Net-Average: 30.69 yards (14 of 16 in PSAC)

* Penalties: 97 ypg

* Punt Return: Two straight games with turnovers

* Special teams also gave up another blocked XP as well as having a punt blocked

Tort called out the punter a bit on his show last week. They need more out of him. They've had so many blowouts this year the fine details kind of get swept under the rug. But, the time is soon coming where a big punt could be needed to swing the field in a very tight game. I'd love to see Sarka get a few successful FGs in during these last two regular season games. They have to have confidence in the ability to kick FGs in the stretch run and (hopefully) postseason.

I'd guess some extra time gets spent on special teams this week.

Comment

I'm not much concerned with SH tossing for 300-some yards. A lot of that came in the second half when IUP's starters were mainly standing on the sideline with pads off.

My big concern as we're now in November:

* Field Goals: 3-for-7 on the season (all three made kicks less than 29 yards)

* Punt Net-Average: 30.69 yards (14 of 16 in PSAC)

* Penalties: 97 ypg

* Punt Return: Two straight games with turnovers

* Special teams also gave up another blocked XP as well as having a punt blocked

Tort called out the punter a bit on his show last week. They need more out of him. They've had so many blowouts this year the fine details kind of get swept under the rug. But, the time is soon coming where a big punt could be needed to swing the field in a very tight game. I'd love to see Sarka get a few successful FGs in during these last two regular season games. They have to have confidence in the ability to kick FGs in the stretch run and (hopefully) postseason.

I'd guess some extra time gets spent on special teams this week.
                          Agreed. But are these things execution-related or talent-related?

As you move into the playoffs it's definitely an advantage to have a FG kicker. Wasn't Sarka hitting FG's from 35-45 yds. out in previous seasons?

Comment

No program at IUP can better be a point of your theory than the other prominent team across the parking lot from Miller Stadium. Joe Lombardi has routinely played some of the hardest non-conference schedules in the country -- year after year. It's actually cost him two tournaments in the past decade. Had they just played Creampuff State instead of one of the many marquee match-ups, ...

But, football-wise, ... with Shepherd and Kutztown next year (both on the road) ... no chance they play anybody other than a creampuff. I do think they need to play a non-conference game next year as they'll be breaking in a new QB (although he will have two years in the program by then).

I must admit I've grown quite comfortable having a big-arm QB back there ... not sure I really want to go back to the RPO stuff. I assume we'll go back to more of a 'Lenny-style' offense next season.
                            I've long advocated for video game like scheduling, but I just can't anymore. From the top down... The national media doesn't care who any of these teams in the Top 25 play at the FBS level. They just want to latch on to some team that beats the teams on their schedule. Losing tight games to good teams doesn't do you any benefit. If you don't have enough wins in the W/L column, regardless of who you've played, the perception is that you aren't good. The media is filled with front runners. It doesn't matter who you play. The perception of how good you are is rooted in wins and losses.

I think it will be exciting to see IUP play more good teams next year. And I believe that if they survive those tests it may be a better barometer for how good that team might be. But, I just can't get behind this "give us better crossover opponents" attitude that so many people have displayed. They're going to go 10-1 and be seeded in the top 4 in the playoffs. You have to go undefeated to get one of the top 1-2 seeds every year. IUP didn't go undefeated. The years Shepherd went undefeated playing in what was thought to be a weak league, they were one of the top 1-2 seeds in the postseason. You can all talk about SOS and what the committee thinks until you're blue in the face... The bottom line is that the more games you win the greater the chance you have at being seeded higher. If playing Lock Haven, Bloomsburg, and Millersville means that IUP has a better opportunity to go 11-0 every year, then sign me up.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I've long advocated for video game like scheduling, but I just can't anymore. From the top down... The national media doesn't care who any of these teams in the Top 25 play at the FBS level. They just want to latch on to some team that beats the teams on their schedule. Losing tight games to good teams doesn't do you any benefit. If you don't have enough wins in the W/L column, regardless of who you've played, the perception is that you aren't good. The media is filled with front runners. It doesn't matter who you play. The perception of how good you are is rooted in wins and losses.

I think it will be exciting to see IUP play more good teams next year. And I believe that if they survive those tests it may be a better barometer for how good that team might be. But, I just can't get behind this "give us better crossover opponents" attitude that so many people have displayed. They're going to go 10-1 and be seeded in the top 4 in the playoffs. You have to go undefeated to get one of the top 1-2 seeds every year. IUP didn't go undefeated. The years Shepherd went undefeated playing in what was thought to be a weak league, they were one of the top 1-2 seeds in the postseason. You can all talk about SOS and what the committee thinks until you're blue in the face... The bottom line is that the more games you win the greater the chance you have at being seeded higher. If playing Lock Haven, Bloomsburg, and Millersville means that IUP has a better opportunity to go 11-0 every year, then sign me up.
                              Well, keep in mind UWF was #6 seed in 17 and Rock was the 7th Seed last years, so the SOS and details of the committee seeding is huge. Plus how many round robin defeats have we sen in previous years - rock beats IUP who beats Cal, who beats rock, or somewhere out of nowhere a mid level team gets an upset. Look at the NE-10 this year, with no real dominant team - they will have trouble getting in.

Comment

Love the avatar! Yes, the scheduling doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X