Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Well, keep in mind UWF was #6 seed in 17 and Rock was the 7th Seed last years, so the SOS and details of the committee seeding is huge. Plus how many round robin defeats have we sen in previous years - rock beats IUP who beats Cal, who beats rock, or somewhere out of nowhere a mid level team gets an upset. Look at the NE-10 this year, with no real dominant team - they will have trouble getting in.
    The landscape of the region, and conference for that matter, that West Florida plays in is entirely different from what exists in the PSAC and SR1. I'll preface what I'm about to say by reiterating my position from another thread from back in the summer. I believe Shepherd has been the best team in SR1 in this decade. I've also stated that teams that have won the region from the MEC/WVIAC have represented the region much better than teams from the PSAC. However, the masses on this message board have long stated that Shepherd played in a weak league with a poor SOS.

After years of seeing Shepherd finish either 10-0, 10-1, 9-1, or 11-0, I can't buy into the belief that SOS means as much as many suggest (if the MEC is as weak as everybody has stated for years). In that weak league, Shepherd teams were annually rewarded with a seed in the top 3 of the playoffs.

Say what you want about SOS. At the end of the day, it's really only about wins and losses. If IUP, or any team for that matter, wins more than most of the other teams, they will have a better shot to get to the postseason. That's the reality of it. The same story exists at the D1 level. If all you have to do is win your games to get there, I'm for the easiest path to get there. If your position is that a higher SOS gives you a better seed over a team with the same record, I can buy into that discussion. But an 8-3 IUP team that has losses to SRU, Shepherd, and Kutztown won't be a playoff team in 2020. A 10-1 team that replaces losses to Shep and Kutz with wins over LHU and Millersville is one.

It's all about wins and losses.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

The landscape of the region, and conference for that matter, that West Florida plays in is entirely different from what exists in the PSAC and SR1. I'll preface what I'm about to say by reiterating my position from another thread from back in the summer. I believe Shepherd has been the best team in SR1 in this decade. I've also stated that teams that have won the region from the MEC/WVIAC have represented the region much better than teams from the PSAC. However, the masses on this message board have long stated that Shepherd played in a weak league with a poor SOS.

After years of seeing Shepherd finish either 10-0, 10-1, 9-1, or 11-0, I can't buy into the belief that SOS means as much as many suggest (if the MEC is as weak as everybody has stated for years). In that weak league, Shepherd teams were annually rewarded with a seed in the top 3 of the playoffs.

Say what you want about SOS. At the end of the day, it's really only about wins and losses. If IUP, or any team for that matter, wins more than most of the other teams, they will have a better shot to get to the postseason. That's the reality of it. The same story exists at the D1 level. If all you have to do is win your games to get there, I'm for the easiest path to get there. If your position is that a higher SOS gives you a better seed over a team with the same record, I can buy into that discussion. But an 8-3 IUP team that has losses to SRU, Shepherd, and Kutztown won't be a playoff team in 2020. A 10-1 team that replaces losses to Shep and Kutz with wins over LHU and Millersville is one.

It's all about wins and losses.
      Findlay is your proof in the pudding.

They've lost close games at Ferris State (1 point), at Ohio Dominican (12 points) and at Notre Dame (5 pts).

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I get they won by 27. But, that's a team they should have beat by 65.

The special teams are beyond train wreck status at this point.

That was horrendous today. They were lucky they were playing who they were.

Yeah, this stuff doesn't matter playing the peasants. But, it will soon. And, it keeps happening.
        At least by 28.5!

Comment

• Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

At least by 28.5!
          Well played.

Comment

They've lost close games at Ferris State (1 point), at Ohio Dominican (12 points) and at Notre Dame (5 pts).
            Yep. And they AREN'T getting into the playoffs.

Comment

• Ok, so I guess the consensus is that it's better to load up a string of patsie opponents and assure your annual place in the playoffs than to play a more challenging schedule and take your chances in the RR's.

I can accept that but I think I disagree. I guess we will find out next year.

Understand that I'm from the "Penn State in '88" generation.

I would even go so far as to favor a 2-tiered PSAC based on competitiveness. I know that isn't going to happen, of course.

It could be done, though, considering we now play 3 crossover games during the year. As long as LHU and Ship were in different tiers travel shouldn't be a factor. It's an idea but few, if any, of the schools would go for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                Ok, so I guess the consensus is that it's better to load up a string of patsie opponents and assure your annual place in the playoffs than to play a more challenging schedule and take your chances in the RR's.

I would even go so far as to favor a 2-tiered PSAC based on competitiveness. I know that isn't going to happen, of course.

It could be done, though, considering we now play 3 crossover games during the year. As long as LHU and Ship were in different tiers travel shouldn't be a factor. It's an idea but few, if any, of the schools would go for it.
                Yes expect a home cupcake or there will be no 11th game....PSAC schedule template is Weak to say the least. To keep the same order in the west is down right stupid. Someone like Clarion does not stand a chance playing the big 3 in a row every year....they also keep making teams play 2 straight road crossovers just plain ridiculous. U can tell the Coaches have zero input in the home office.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP412 View Post

Yes expect a home cupcake or there will be no 11th game....PSAC schedule template is Weak to say the least. To keep the same order in the west is down right stupid. Someone like Clarion does not stand a chance playing the big 3 in a row every year....they also keep making teams play 2 straight road crossovers just plain ridiculous. U can tell the Coaches have zero input in the home office.
                  Playing Cal and SRU back-to-back does IUP no favors, either.

IUP has played them back-to-back every year since 2014.
                  Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 11-04-2019, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP412 View Post

You nailed it. The unchanging order of the schedule is stupid. Goofy.

Comment

But Tiffin is the counterpoint 1 loss ranked 9th below 3 two loss teams

Comment

I'm not much concerned with SH tossing for 300-some yards. A lot of that came in the second half when IUP's starters were mainly standing on the sideline with pads off.

My big concern as we're now in November:

* Field Goals: 3-for-7 on the season (all three made kicks less than 29 yards)

* Punt Net-Average: 30.69 yards (14 of 16 in PSAC)

* Penalties: 97 ypg

* Punt Return: Two straight games with turnovers

* Special teams also gave up another blocked XP as well as having a punt blocked

Tort called out the punter a bit on his show last week. They need more out of him. They've had so many blowouts this year the fine details kind of get swept under the rug. But, the time is soon coming where a big punt could be needed to swing the field in a very tight game. I'd love to see Sarka get a few successful FGs in during these last two regular season games. They have to have confidence in the ability to kick FGs in the stretch run and (hopefully) postseason.

I'd guess some extra time gets spent on special teams this week.
                        BigIndians,

Go check out the play-by-play from last week's game.

https://iupathletics.com/sports/foot.../boxscore/5946

IUP still had starters playing well into the 4th quarter. But I get what you are saying though, they were not quite a up to play like they were against Cal U.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

BigIndians,

Go check out the play-by-play from last week's game.

https://iupathletics.com/sports/foot.../boxscore/5946

IUP still had starters playing well into the 4th quarter. But I get what you are saying though, they were not quite a up to play like they were against Cal U.
                          You know ... I thought the same thing while I was watching it. Then Tort made the comment about all the 2nd and 3rd team guys so I thought I must have been seeing things.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

But Tiffin is the counterpoint 1 loss ranked 9th below 3 two loss teams
                            But how much of that is the conference they play in? Had IUP played a cupcake in the non-conference schedule, I don't believe they would be ranked any lower than they are now.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                              Ok, so I guess the consensus is that it's better to load up a string of patsie opponents and assure your annual place in the playoffs than to play a more challenging schedule and take your chances in the RR's.

I think the current landscape of collegiate football creates an environment where people only care about wins and losses. The proof of that is in how the national media talks about and reports on teams "ranked" and those who are not. The top 25 is just a list of those who have won more than other teams. We could have a lengthy discussion about how true of a ranking system that poll actually is at the Division 1 level.

I think the same exists in Division 2 when it comes to how teams are selected for the playoffs from a regional standpoint. Put yourself in the best position to make the playoffs. Win more games than everybody else and let people ask questions later. Because that's how it's done at the D1 level.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

But how much of that is the conference they play in? Had IUP played a cupcake in the non-conference schedule, I don't believe they would be ranked any lower than they are now.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X