Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTAE has a headline ... 'State Police prepare for IUP Homecoming Weekend - Zero Tolerance'

That's really newsworthy for a Pittsburgh station.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      WTAE has a headline ... 'State Police prepare for IUP Homecoming Weekend - Zero Tolerance'

Maybe they still remember the infamous IUP Homecoming of 2005 that featured a body count of four people.

-

Comment

• I'm pretty sure I survived that Homecoming.

Comment

WTAE has a headline ... 'State Police prepare for IUP Homecoming Weekend - Zero Tolerance'

People wonder why IUP's enrollment is falling rapidly. The Pittsburgh news stations do IUP no favors.

The funny thing is that during my four years at IUP, Homecoming never even seemed like a big deal. More people on campus or in town? Sure. More people at the football game? Absolutely. More people outside walking around than on a normal Saturday morning? Definitely. All that said, it never seemed any "crazier" or "out of control" than any other weekend. The crap show in March... Much different story.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

People wonder why IUP's enrollment is falling rapidly. The Pittsburgh news stations do IUP no favors.

The funny thing is that during my four years at IUP, Homecoming never even seemed like a big deal. More people on campus or in town? Sure. More people at the football game? Absolutely. More people outside walking around than on a normal Saturday morning? Definitely. All that said, it never seemed any "crazier" or "out of control" than any other weekend. The crap show in March... Much different story.

I agree -- and I live in Indiana. Homecoming in the 90s was much more wild. I actually thought it was annoying when I was a student. You go uptown at night and it's filled with all these old people. The football game on HC is XMAS Eve Mass ... all the once-a-year types.

That said, it's likely not coincidental it's calmed down. The last several homecoming weekends Indiana has essentially turned in to a militarized zone -- massive police presence (foot, car, horse and bike). The helicopters fly all night Friday and Saturday. And, it's become real clear the police aren't taking any crap. They mean that 'zero tolerance'.

The one major change that has slowly occurred at the IUP party scene is fewer and fewer students are living in the traditional residential neighborhoods. It used to be students wanted houses (albeit run-down pieces of trash). Now, with these (essentially) hotels on campus, they are staying on campus. Add to it the enrollment has plummeted and the slum-lord market has really washed up. Many people coming for Homecoming drive around and see their old 'college houses' have been flipped in to single family residences. The few college houses still in the neighborhoods get watched like hawks by the townies. Any noise and the police get called immediately. It's a much different school than even 10 years ago. Granted, the party reputation is still intact. But, as you said, minus the crap show in March, things are much calmer these days at IUP. They've really dropped the hammer on that stuff.

Comment

My guess is that's directed at people who don't attend IUP planning to make the trip - just like IUPattys.

Comment

IUP's enrollment is falling rapidly for totally different reasons.

Comment

• Here is the link from WTAE. Is this coverage good or bad for IUP? Does it conjure up an Indiana of dangerous lawlessness or a community you should feel safe visiting.for a wholesome Homecoming weekend?

https://www.wtae.com/article/iup-hom...trols/29327178

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

IUP's enrollment is falling rapidly for totally different reasons.
                    You aren't wrong, but you're naive to think that years of poor publicity and a perceived image of an unsafe campus haven't encouraged parents to sway impressionable kids to other universities.

Comment

You aren't wrong, but you're naive to think that years of poor publicity and a perceived image of an unsafe campus haven't encouraged parents to sway impressionable kids to other universities.
                      Its surely a factor but its also immeasurable. The measurable factors are that the cost of attendance has gotten too close to schools with more cache and that western PA has a significantly lower number of 17 years olds. IUP has also lost the SEPA market to West Chester, Bloomsburg, and Millersville.

Comment

• I'll be honest, if my wife came with me on my sons recruiting trip, we'd probably be at Monmouth, Bloom or Towson right now. The drive into IUP is nothing to write home about. The old addage is true, dont judge a book by the cover. IUP has it where it counts. A Major that my son wanted to take that is highly specialized is only offered at a few schools in PA in the area, sponsored directly by the Department of Homeland Security. The Cook Honors College for another is fantastic, that he really clicked with the curriculum they described. And not to mention the coaching staff really made him feel like they wanted him there as a student, and not just a player.

As it turns out, I was right, my wife was beside herself, but after being on campus and around the neighborhood, she has done a complete 180 and can't wait for home games!

We had only heard stories about IUPatty's, so I'll reserve judgement until I have to drive 4 hours to bail him out. Should that happen, that will not be pleasant for him, but I expect he will make the right choices.

Comment

• There is a nice article in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review today on IUP's QBs.

Comment

• Comment

• Enrollment numbers have been released.

2019 - 10,636

That's down from last year's 11,325.

Comment

Enrollment numbers have been released.

2019 - 10,636

That's down from last year's 11,325.
                                That's really quite shocking to be honest. Back when I was an undergrad/grad student in the 1990s/early 2000s I know that it was consistently 14,000 and I believe that it did actually cross 15,000 a time or two. That is quite a drop there.

-

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X