Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: IUP Football 2019

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    Hell, even that time he went on vacation to Mexico all the natives were pointing him out and saying to one another thats "el hombre es dinero!"
    A Kenny Powers reference!!!!!!!! Aw man is that funny, an instant classic!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
      This board hasn't been civil in a few years. This is why I don't post much anymore. Between this garbage and that Homer moron, I can't stomach this board.

Comment

Quite frankly, if you can't take the tone of this board, please, for your own sake, swear off message boards for good. Or better yet, avoid 2019 society at all costs.

Comment

This board has never been civil. I've been on here since 05 when people referred to Jimmy T as Turdwiggler.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
            What I was thinking. And if Homer comes back, that will likely be the end of my account here.
            Have to agree with you. Let's not forget that the vast majority of these athletes grew up playing night games in football and basketball. It would be a complete non-issue for them in my opinion.

IUP should absolutely make a big effort to schedule some of their games each season under the lights on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.

-

-

Comment

• Originally posted by PSACfan1 View Post
              I have no vested interested in IUP growing their brand on campus amongst their target demo. I was just saying your idea was poorly thought out and responded as to why I felt as such.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                Quite frankly, if you can't take the tone of this board, please, for your own sake, swear off message boards for good. Or better yet, avoid 2019 society at all costs.

This.

People need to stop with the drama queen act....

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                  This board has never been civil. I've been on here since 05 when people referred to Jimmy T as Turdwiggler.

Comment

Oh I was here for your pipe bomb. I was the original IUP fan on this board. Many people have come and gone since this boards creation. Only the good ones stay around, hence why Homer, et. al. always disappear!

Comment

So what is going on with the official IUP Athletics website? Certainly, there has to be something to say about football. We already know it is the off season but, seriously, IUP is one of the consistent stellar programs in D2. Surely there must be something interesting to report. I would hope that those in charge of the site would be working to build some excitement for the upcoming season. Come on, throw us a bone or two!

Comment

Originally posted by BADinPA View Post
                        So what is going on with the official IUP Athletics website? Certainly, there has to be something to say about football. We already know it is the off season but, seriously, IUP is one of the consistent stellar programs in D2. Surely there must be something interesting to report. I would hope that those in charge of the site would be working to build some excitement for the upcoming season. Come on, throw us a bone or two!
                        With move in date on August 11, Id imagine (hope) the updates will be more and more frequent, a roster update, and even a few "get to know vignettes" on twitter or local newspaper, perhaps. But I agree, since Signing Day, its been few and far between, save for the Nike sponsorship.

Comment

Originally posted by Number83 View Post
                          With move in date on August 11, Id imagine (hope) the updates will be more and more frequent, a roster update, and even a few "get to know vignettes" on twitter or local newspaper, perhaps. But I agree, since Signing Day, its been few and far between, save for the Nike sponsorship.
                          That's the way it has always been. Matt will probably do at least one get to know vignette. IRC, he usually does a few. I'd bet we get a story on the transfer QB who is projected as the starter. But at any rate, you'll see more coverage as they move through camp. Also, the Indiana Gazette usually does a whole section on IUP football near the end of camp and closer to the first game. Hang in there for another few weeks, I know the excitement surrounding that 1st year. Try to slow it all down and soak it all in because it really is exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                            It's definitely a combination of a couple of factors.

What you need to understand is that IUP worked really hard to steamroll the "I Usually Party" reputation the school had decades ago. And with some less than stellar news coverage the past couple years, they aren't going to encourage athletic events to be "organized parties." We tried to explain to them that it's not about getting people into the game, it's about getting them to the parking lots or outside the stadium. They were resistant to events where alcohol or potential student debauchery might have occurred. We even provided them with ideas to create a more controlled setting:

1) Get a local establishment to sponsor a tented tailgate in the parking lot - serve food and alcohol. Charge a flat fee to get in, card people at the door so only 21+ can enter, and control the environment. Reasons why this could not happen:
                            A) IUP has a contract with Aramark and they could not work with outside vendors to serve food on IUP grounds for IUP sanctioned events.
                            B) IUP is a dry campus, therefore, they can't permit the sale or distribution of alcohol on campus.
                            C) They have an alumni reception in the KCAC prior to every home game and they felt that serves the purpose. The event is expensive, boring, and vanilla. They sell alcohol at this event, which makes me question their response that I listed in reason B.

2) Book some artist to have a pregame concert outside the stadium - use your contracted food vendor, Aramark, and have a fun time with food and live music outside the stadium. Reasons why this could not happen:
                            A) Entertainment bookings at IUP are done through either The Entertainment Network (TEN) or Global Marketing (the company that runs the KCAC). Essentially, IUP and the athletic department either can't through some bureaucratic red tape or doesn't want to spend any money in their limited budget booking an artist for a pregame concert.
                            B) We approached TEN, which is a student run organization with a university employee that heads it. They use their budget to book other events (homecoming concerts, comedy shows, etc.) and weren't interested in pursuing this.
                            C) Global expressed that they didn't have the budget to organize this and also successfully book/plan that year's events at the KCAC. They did bring in Jake Owen that spring, which was an awesome show (so no bad blood there).

3) Shut down food service in the dining hall for a game (preferably the first game of the season). Utilize Aramark to set up a large student tailgate/meal service during pregame. Make this be the location where students can use their meal plan for their "all you can eat" meal swipe. Cal used to do this all the time for their first home game of the season. It was called "Party in the Park." It worked great there. They didn't eliminate all food options, but they shut down the main dining hall. If you wanted to use your meal plan for an all you can eat meal option during a set time, you had to go to the stadium. If you showed up to eat, you were more inclined to stay for the game. Reasons why this could not happen:
                            A) Logistics of needing personnel and equipment to set up the event.
                            B) Logistics of needing the proper storage methods for food during the time of the event.

The reality is that there are many ways things can happen to be improved, but the powers to be at IUP hide behind red tape, contracts, and the "it's not my department" school of thought. FightingScot82 has discussed how a unionized environment has created this. And he's right. Organizing these things are no single person or team of employee's jobs. Because of that, very few employees are going to take the effort needed to improve something they aren't contractually obligated to care about. Groundhog believes that he and I have substantive disagreements, which is essentially saying that we have different views on what reality is. I see where he's coming from - to a point. Only his reality is that people don't show up because IUP has changed since the 1960s, 70s, 80s. He's not wrong about that, but that doesn't have to constitute the norm or create a defeatist attitude.

Adapt or die. My reality is that IUP doesn't do what's necessary because they don't want to. They need to adapt. Until they do, we'll continue to have this discussion.
                            IUP is no longer a "dry" campus (actually never was as the Oak Room allowed alcohol) ..... there are floors on certain dorms for 21 and up students who are allowed to have alcohol on campus so why not extend that to the parking lot on Saturdays in the fall? Allow tailgates and young people will come, it's as simple as that. I go to PSU often with zero connection to that school or team, why you ask, because it's a party. Party + game = more people in the seats. jus sayin

Comment

Originally posted by BallHawkin View Post
                              IUP is no longer a "dry" campus (actually never was as the Oak Room allowed alcohol) ..... there are floors on certain dorms for 21 and up students who are allowed to have alcohol on campus so why not extend that to the parking lot on Saturdays in the fall? Allow tailgates and young people will come, it's as simple as that. I go to PSU often with zero connection to that school or team, why you ask, because it's a party. Party + game = more people in the seats. jus sayin
                              That's what I was thinking. The KCAC has a freaking bar in it. Is it not 'on campus' (or maybe I've just lost my mind in regard to its actual location).

Two bars, actually, but only one is open to the public.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                                That's what I was thinking. The KCAC has a freaking bar in it. Is it not 'on campus' (or maybe I've just lost my mind in regard to its actual location).

Two bars, actually, but only one is open to the public.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X