Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: IUP Football 2019

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Grad transfer QB Quinton Maxwell (Ohio U) has signed with IUP.

https://www.thepostathens.com/articl...-ohio-football

6'4", 230 lbs
    It looks like he can run, but running isn't his main thing. listed as pro- style. Maybe a change in the Offense.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
      I wasn't around for the 2010 season but many reference Bo Napoleon as being rather a bad QB. But he was a backup thrust into the starting role after the Pat Smith injury. At least their was no graft involved with his situation.

-
      I think what made it seem worse was how Tepper talked him up. A lot of "Wait until you see this guy," stuff.

Comment

There's a lot of truth to this. On the basketball side, I saw some idiot made a comment on the Gazette Facebook page on a story about the IUP men's team's season ending loss saying that the reason they lost was Lombardi was a ball hog...fire the coach, etc. I'm not sure how he hogged the ball so much while at the same time becoming the school's all-time assist record holder.

I think there's a lot of jealousy.

Comment

Curt has a major decision to make at James Madison before he's even coached a game. Many on the James Madison boards think he's going to boot Stapleton off the team. Others feel five game suspension. It will be interesting to see how Curt handles his star pupil (who is an NFL prospect).
          I'm really torn on this. A no contest plea is essentially a guilty plea. We can argue semantics all day.

I have to say if it were me, I would send him packing. It's a chance to send a clear message that this type of thing is simply not tolerated in Curt's program. I recognize that's easy for me to say sitting at my computer.

Kids make mistakes, but this was a pretty bad one. Let's not forget that there's a victim here that has to deal with this. If it were something else, I'd probably say he deserves another chance. Maybe he does deserve a second chance anyway and maybe there's more to the story, so I guess we'll see how Curt handles it. With the personal connection and the kid's obvious importance to his team, it's just a heck of a place to be put in.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
            There's a lot of truth to this. On the basketball side, I saw some idiot made a comment on the Gazette Facebook page on a story about the IUP men's team's season ending loss saying that the reason they lost was Lombardi was a ball hog...fire the coach, etc. I'm not sure how he hogged the ball so much while at the same time becoming the school's all-time assist record holder.

I think there's a lot of jealousy.
            Dante was a different animal all together. That comes with being the coaches' son.

Part the beef many had with Dante and Joe was how it was handled in the early years ... when Dante wasn't ready to play 35 minutes per game.

And, that was a legit issue.

Comment

6'4", 230 lbs
              Told yinz after the guy that enrolled in Jan that he wasn't THE guy and Tort wasn't done with his search...........stay tuned .......... jus sayin

Comment

Originally posted by BallHawkin View Post
                Told yinz after the guy that enrolled in Jan that he wasn't THE guy and Tort wasn't done with his search...........stay tuned .......... jus sayin
                Ok, hot shot, but these QBs aren't coming here pro bono.

How much coin is tied up in one position now ?

A position, BTW, that only one person can play.

Comment

Four scholarship QBs ...

I sure hope Tort isn't using the proverbial phrase of tossing enough shiz against the wall and seeing what sticks.

There's a reason this Ohio U kid got signed. It's not to wear a baseball cap this fall.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                    Four scholarship QBs ...

I sure hope Tort isn't using the proverbial phrase of tossing enough shiz against the wall and seeing what sticks.

There's a reason this Ohio U kid got signed. It's not to wear a baseball cap this fall.

Comment

I'm assuming. Take that for what it's worth. But ... grad transfers don't typically pay their own way.

Comment

Fact is this coin could have been invested in other places.

Just sayin'

There's a reason they did this.

Comment

Ok, hot shot, but these QBs aren't coming here pro bono.

How much coin is tied up in one position now ?

A position, BTW, that only one person can play.
                          Not sure how it will shake down in the end but scholarships are "renewed" yearly ......... there will not be 4 Qbs "on scholarship" in August in fact there are not even 3 on scholarship right now. jus sayin

Comment

6'4", 230 lbs
                            Just reading through his dossier it doesn't sound like he is exactly a world beater. 12 career TD passes and 6 INTs. Eight starts.

I'm sure he has talent. But I hate to bring in a transfer unless he is the real deal such as an Ingold, Woods, Ferguson, Lenny.

But who knows, maybe he is a great get. Time will tell.

-

Comment

Four scholarship QBs ...

QB most important position on any team. Lenny had a nice career but quite honestly he cost them big time in there Cal/SRU/WF losses with the turnover bug...This kid on paper looks like a great get...just sayin

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                                I agree. Chase Haslett was no different than a lot of the QB transfers we've seen. He had a great HS career, then spent 3 years at Illinois as a backup. A reasonable profile as a stopgap for IUP at the time. He graduated from Illinois in 3 years and earned a master's degree at IUP. He was also a highly touted 2 sport star coming out of HS (football and baseball). Coincidentally, his father is an icon of IUP football and has given a lot of money to the program over the years, including a very large gift the year Chase came in. To assume there was a cause and effect relationship there is presumptuous, in my opinion.

In my opinion, that Penn article by the student was a lot of hyperbole and rubbed me the wrong way.
                                Yes. As did Felicity and Aunt Becky. And if you remember the article the author could not find any record of prior giving to the university or the program by said alum. Okay, I have no real idea on that.

And to correct another fact---he was NOT a backup of any kind in the real sense of the word. He could have been with the Illini for 30 years and would never have ever taken a meaningful snap.

Let's face it---it was simply a very highly divisive issue at IUP. I recall standing on the concourse at an late fall IUP hoops game talking to an older dude and we were discussing the matter. He let loose with an unbelievable barrage of profanity aimed at said signal caller. I was kind of taken aback and tried to smooth the matter by saying that he was probably a great kid. It didn't help much. Those were just bad times!

But I have to agree with IUP412---time to let it go and focus on the here and now of the program.

-

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X