X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: IUP Football 2019

Comment

Curious is a good word for it. Inexplicable, bizarre, other words come to mind. Maybe as Mr. Spock used to say - "fascinating." Mr. Spock was on the original Star Trek, IUP24. :wink:

Comment

I agree with your comments here. There is indeed a lot to improve upon here in 2019 for the IUP football team.

QB battle is front and center but hardly the only storyline that bears watching.

Do you have dates and times for any scrimmages to be played before the spring game?

Interestingly, it was five years ago today that Curt Cignetti held the first of what can only be described as three landmark scrimmages that have to be considered as the bedrock of the success of the 2015-17 teams.

April 5- a freezing and windy day down at Miller.

April 12- a beautiful Saturday morning that was the opening day of trout season.

April 18- an evening Good Friday session.

These scrimmages were live fire all the way and were even downright brutal at times as a host of young players battled for positions vacated by the senior-laden star-crossed 2013 team. I would have to put these three sessions in my top ten of all-time favorite IUP football moments. They were that good and relevant. Front and center was the QB battle between Logan Weaver and Eddie $tockett. Some crunching running by Darien Bradley and a stable of backs. I'm not sure if actual games featured as much contact as these sessions did. An unknown senior WR named Trey Campman was one of the bright stars of them. Masterfully run by Curt and his staff. Football did not get much better than that if you are into smash mouth and player development. Too bad the 2014 season had to be marred so much with the controversy that it brought. Enough said.

-

Comment

I think the QB situation is under the microscope a little too much. Teams change QB's all the time, every year in some cases. We've got good candidates for the job. It's just that the position has been Lenny's for the last 4 years so we aren't used to it.

I think another question mark going into the season is Tort's ability to lead the program. That's a bigger question in my mind than all the others.

Don't understand the lack of promoting the program. They need to get back to that.

Comment

Many of the problems of a year ago are gone -- players and staff.

They'll bring in some WRs this summer. That's the most transfer-happy position in college football. Nobody gets the ball enough.

Comment

Wow really? I wouldn't know a stapleton or care about one if I tripped over him/her/they ... I read the article before it was a topic on here, just like anyone else could have. Didn't find it that interesting as it didn't affect me, the school, or the program therefore didn't feel a need to post a link like you apparently did. It really didn't take any "stones" to do it .... Anyone that can spell google could have found it if they chose to do so. jus sayin

Comment

What's the problem with all this? Are the Stapleton's upset?

Comment

Three or four in the West, No chance, Mark my word this team will be strong and focused....Mark the tape...
                  Just sayin

Comment

• IUP Football 2019

Originally posted by IUP412 View Post
                    Three or four in the West, No chance, Mark my word this team will be strong and focused....Mark the tape...
                    Just sayin

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                        What's the problem with all this? Are the Stapleton's upset?

I poorly worded a post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                          I think the QB situation is under the microscope a little too much. Teams change QB's all the time, every year in some cases. We've got good candidates for the job. It's just that the position has been Lenny's for the last 4 years so we aren't used to it.

I think another question mark going into the season is Tort's ability to lead the program. That's a bigger question in my mind than all the others.

Don't understand the lack of promoting the program. They need to get back to that.
                          I'd feel a lot worse if the QB derby was two true freshmen. Even though one barely played and the other redshirted last year, they still got a year in of running the scout team against IUP's defense. That has some value.

As for who starts ... that's up to them to decide. Old coaching saying ... the players pick the starting lineup ... whether they know it or not.

Taking it a step further the program is ready for some fresh blood back there. The four-year starter at QB is pretty rare in D2. Teams had lots of film on Lenny. Add to it the offense was so predictable last year we all called the plays before they happened. And, we're just a bunch of armchair jabronies.

It just needs settled prior to New Haven. No QB duo rotation. Never works.

Overall, I think they'll be pretty strong next year. They'll add a few more mercenaries this summer. There will also likely be a departure or two after spring ball. You never know what (or whom) the summer may bring.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            Add to it the offense was so predictable last year we all called the plays before they happened. And, we're just a bunch of armchair jabronies.

It just needs settled prior to New Haven. No QB duo rotation. Never works.

Comment

I'm just glad a couple of those coaches are gone. Listening to the DB coach in the press box (especially at Boro) was embarrassing! His language and the fact he continuously was putting the DB's in bad positions was an absolute joke! I still can't believe I sat in that cold rain to have that coach almost blow a game. I won't get into the offense on that day or season for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                                I'm just glad a couple of those coaches are gone. Listening to the DB coach in the press box (especially at Boro) was embarrassing! His language and the fact he continuously was putting the DB's in bad positions was an absolute joke! I still can't believe I sat in that cold rain to have that coach almost blow a game. I won't get into the offense on that day or season for that matter.
                                I wonder who was this coach in the press box. Because IUP had a CB Coach, a Safeties Coach , and Graduate Assistant helping with the safeties. Having separate coaches for the secondary could have been part of the mus-communication/confusion in the secondary. But all three left for other jobs. We shall see how this pans out going forward.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X