Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
    The bowls are a relic. Teams that go 6-6 get in them.

I opted out of them a long time ago.
    Some teams that are 5-7 have gotten in them.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's inevitable. Buyout be damned - and, it's a big one. They've been unhappy with the ACC. This was the final straw.

Most would think the SEC would be logical, but don't rule out the BIG.

I don't know the logistics of it, but I'd venture to guess the BIG would punt Rutgers and Maryland in a second.

I can promise one thing: When the Noles leave, Miami won't be far behind.
      What’s inevitable? If they could’ve left, they would have already. You’re a smart guy; I know you know that.

Has anyone on this thread actually read the ACC’s Grant of Rights? That’s a legitimate question.

Oklahoma. Texas. Texas A&M years back. Colorado. Arizona. Oregon. Washington. I’ll stop. Every single one of these schools just up and left their conferences without saying a word. No warning. No complaining. No nothing. FSU, Clemson, and Miami have *****ed and moaned for two years. And here they are. Still unable to leave. If they could’ve left the ACC, they would have been long gone.

I will give the parameters for everyone again…

1) Any team wishing to leave will be required to pay a buyout up front of approximately 150 million dollars.
      2) When said team leaves after the buyout cost, they forfeit every cent of television revenue they would be set to earn in their new conference until the ACC’s Grant of Rights expires in 2033. That means your 150 million dollar buyout gets close to 1 billion dollars.
      3) The other member schools still have a say in allowing you to leave without additional financial penalty. You think Boston College will vote to just let Florida State walk out the door?

Is that money better spent going to the B1G or SEC? Or is it better spent on NIL and your program?

Every member school voted and agreed on this to protect their league from getting destroyed. They had foresight to at least predict that there would be chaos. Now the members want to be part of the chaos and they can’t, so they are pissed off.

Will the ACC exist as is until 2033? Hard to say. But anybody who thinks anybody leaving is just a simple forgone conclusion probably doesn’t have a good grasp on the GOR.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
        Because Florida's gotta Florida...

The Florida State trustees have called a special meeting to discuss the financial and legal steps needed to leave the ACC.
        This is also like the 6th or 7th time they’ve done this in the last year. If they had a clear exit strategy, they would’ve left by now.

All ACC members voted and agreed to these terms.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

What’s inevitable? If they could’ve left, they would have already. You’re a smart guy; I know you know that.

Has anyone on this thread actually read the ACC’s Grant of Rights? That’s a legitimate question.

Oklahoma. Texas. Texas A&M years back. Colorado. Arizona. Oregon. Washington. I’ll stop. Every single one of these schools just up and left their conferences without saying a word. No warning. No complaining. No nothing. FSU, Clemson, and Miami have *****ed and moaned for two years. And here they are. Still unable to leave. If they could’ve left the ACC, they would have been long gone.

I will give the parameters for everyone again…

1) Any team wishing to leave will be required to pay a buyout up front of approximately 150 million dollars.
          2) When said team leaves after the buyout cost, they forfeit every cent of television revenue they would be set to earn in their new conference until the ACC’s Grant of Rights expires in 2033. That means your 150 million dollar buyout gets close to 1 billion dollars.
          3) The other member schools still have a say in allowing you to leave without additional financial penalty. You think Boston College will vote to just let Florida State walk out the door?

Is that money better spent going to the B1G or SEC? Or is it better spent on NIL and your program?

Every member school voted and agreed on this to protect their league from getting destroyed. They had foresight to at least predict that there would be chaos. Now the members want to be part of the chaos and they can’t, so they are pissed off.

Will the ACC exist as is until 2033? Hard to say. But anybody who thinks anybody leaving is just a simple forgone conclusion probably doesn’t have a good grasp on the GOR.
          I like Chip Kelly’s suggestion that there should be no conferences, just independent programs.

Wouldn’t that be interesting?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I guess you're right. Because those Utah, Boise State, and Texas Christian interloper years were a big factor in creating the P5/G5 setup.
            To clear up the post I made regarding my feelings on the “Cinderella” teams. I meant to say people hated UCF and rooted against them. It looked like I said people were rooting for UCF.

My point was we would’ve rooted hard for them in the BCS era. In the CFP era we were told that anyone outside of a few token schools weren’t deserving, largely because the narrative from the media creates that dynamic, but also because smaller schools don’t help them (although UCF is a massive institution).

I also think UCF’s fanbase was obnoxious and that contributed to people disliking them during their run.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I like Chip Kelly’s suggestion that there should be no conferences, just independent programs.

Wouldn’t that be interesting?
              Yeah it would be. At this stage I’m for keeping as much geographical affiliation as possible in an effort to maintain some level of normalcy in college football.

His overall point is right. Some girl playing lacrosse at USC should not have to fly to Columbus to play a lacrosse game.

Football plays one game a week. Blow up the conferences. I like his idea on shared tv money as well.

Comment

• As the FSU board of trustees prepares to sue the ACC over their withdrawal penalties, the ACC is now preparing to counter sue over them failing to uphold contractual obligations within the Grant of Rights.

Good on the ACC. I absolutely love this. As I told everyone in the summer, if FSU had a clear and direct way out, they would’ve left by now.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                  As the FSU board of trustees prepares to sue the ACC over their withdrawal penalties, the ACC is now preparing to counter sue over them failing to uphold contractual obligations within the Grant of Rights.

Good on the ACC. I absolutely love this. As I told everyone in the summer, if FSU had a clear and direct way out, they would’ve left by now.
                  I think this situation is ground zero for the ugliness of FBS college football right now. I’m sitting here with my bag of popcorn.

How did it go so bad so fast? It feels like schools jumping ship for new conferences was still a novel idea not all that long ago. Now it’s a free-for-all. I think my eyebrows raised for the first time when West Virginia went to the Big 12, probably because it was close to home. Now we have PAC 10 schools joining the Big 10?!?! If you were to go back 20 years and tell people that this was going to happen you’d get laughed out of the bar and maybe even beat up.

Comment

I think this situation is ground zero for the ugliness of FBS college football right now. I’m sitting here with my bag of popcorn.

How did it go so bad so fast? It feels like schools jumping ship for new conferences was still a novel idea not all that long ago. Now it’s a free-for-all. I think my eyebrows raised for the first time when West Virginia went to the Big 12, probably because it was close to home. Now we have PAC 10 schools joining the Big 10?!?! If you were to go back 20 years and tell people that this was going to happen you’d get laughed out of the bar and maybe even beat up.
                    Stanford and Cal joining the ACC makes even less sense than the Big 10 move, considering the ACC doesn't have teams west of Notre Dame and Louisville.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Stanford and Cal joining the ACC makes even less sense than the Big 10 move, considering the ACC doesn't have teams west of Notre Dame and Louisville.
                      Clearly geography is irrelevant at this point, and that’s a shame.

Comment

• These bowl games today are so frustrating. Troy lost to themselves, JMU apparently can't operate without one guy (Cignetti), and Utah State can't get figure out a struggling GA State team.

Comment

• Originally posted by TDBoi8136 View Post
                          These bowl games today are so frustrating. Troy lost to themselves, JMU apparently can't operate without one guy (Cignetti), and Utah State can't get figure out a struggling GA State team.
                          JMU is a shell of itself. Basically a JV team.

Some of these teams are playing without like 10-15 starters they had a few weeks ago. It's a fraud.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

JMU is a shell of itself. Basically a JV team.

Some of these teams are playing without like 10-15 starters they had a few weeks ago. It's a fraud.
                            It’s why bowls need to go away.

Nobody cares.

Comment

I certainly hope FSU gets outta the ACC. Id love to see them in the BIG.

Comment

• Originally posted by UISguy23 View Post

I certainly hope FSU gets outta the ACC. Id love to see them in the BIG.
                                Why? I’m curious why the BIG would be better for them.

The ACC is a good conference. It’s full of good programs with a rich history in football, basketball, and even many other sports. If FSU would have gotten in to the playoff, would we be having this discussion? I think it’s a knee jerk reaction and then once a bunch of egomaniacs started puffing their chests out there was no turning back. A fine example of the Abilene Paradox.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X