Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UISguy23 View Post

I certainly hope FSU gets outta the ACC. Id love to see them in the BIG.
    As a long-time B1G follower, I'm fine with Florida State being in another conference. We already have all the football factories we need with more coming in next season. Did love to see Northwestern, a Vegas underdog in every P5 game they played this season, win eight games.

Comment

• Yeah Flori-duh State doesn’t need to be in the BIG. SEC probably wants them and the Miami School of Basket Weaving.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

ESPN has ownership stakes in many of the lower tier bowls that they proliferated. But like you said, with attendance and TV viewership way down, they're getting their clocks cleaned financially.

I'm with you on a 16 team playoff. Many scoff, but as soon as the casual and neutral fans witness some upsets of P5 teams, people will love it. Everyone's favorite part of March Madness is the annual Cinderella team. The current system (much like the BCS) is designed to keep G5 upstarts out of a true Cinderella season. Its virtually impossible for an undefeated G5 team capable of beating an SEC team to win a championship. The G5 conferences should file a class action suit against the NCAA and CFP. But they won't.
        In theory, TCU could've made the best argument for a "Cinderella" run to the CFP championship game (only to get obliterated by Georgia, who, to be fair, would probably have done the same to Meatchicken with last year's roster) considering no Big 12 team had ever won a CFP game and that TCU isn't exactly a "brand" like Georgia, THE Overrated State University, USC, etc. I don't recall off the top of my head what the ratings were for the Fiesta Bowl, but it didn't seem to move the needle outside of DFW.

And two years prior, Alabama absolutely dominated Cincinnati in the Cotton Bowl/CFP game (though, the Bearcats had their chances; they couldn't execute).
        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Stanford and Cal joining the ACC makes even less sense than the Big 10 move, considering the ACC doesn't have teams west of Notre Dame and Louisville.
          Not to mention SMU joining the ACC, and last I checked, Dallas isn't exactly up the road from Chapel Hill.

Comment

As a long-time B1G follower, I'm fine with Florida State being in another conference. We already have all the football factories we need with more coming in next season. Did love to see Northwestern, a Vegas underdog in every P5 game they played this season, win eight games.
            Well, considering the B1G West was the college football equivalent of the NFC South, that's a pretty low bar. Still, considering the chaos in Evanston heading into the season, that they even got to eight wins and capped it off with a win over Utah is impressive as hell.

Comment

• Originally posted by TDBoi8136 View Post
              These bowl games today are so frustrating. Troy lost to themselves, JMU apparently can't operate without one guy (Cignetti), and Utah State can't get figure out a struggling GA State team.
              Air Force played in that exact same bowl game last season at TCU's stadium in Fort Worth and blew the doors off of Baylor. That outcome wasn't as shocking as you'd think it was.

Comment

• Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Well, considering the B1G West was the college football equivalent of the NFC South, that's a pretty low bar. Still, considering the chaos in Evanston heading into the season, that they even got to eight wins and capped it off with a win over Utah is impressive as hell.
                Well, seeing as Utah crushed Florida, beat USC, and came with in a touchdown of Washington, I'd say that was a decent win for Northwestern. The B1G West was not good this year, but if you look at their bowl record over the years you might be surprised how many games they've won.

Comment

Well, seeing as Utah crushed Florida, beat USC, and came with in a touchdown of Washington, I'd say that was a decent win for Northwestern. The B1G West was not good this year, but if you look at their bowl record over the years you might be surprised how many games they've won.
                  I'm definitely giving credit to Northwestern for beating a team that will likely be a contender in the Big 12 next year after having won the previous two PACifist-12 conference titles heading into this season. I guess my point was that the B1G West teams were pretty much indistinguishable from each other as far as "ugly ball" was concerned.

Speaking of "ugly" State Penn's (ahem) performance in the Peach Bowl against Ole Miss is beyond ugly. Same with THE Overrated State University's sad impersonation of Iowa in the Cotton Bowl against UMo.

Comment

• James Tenandtwo proves yet again he’s not up for the job. He should go back to East Dennyburg.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                      James Tenandtwo proves yet again he’s not up for the job. He should go back to East Dennyburg.
                      6-29 against Top 15

Comment

• Penn State needs a QB. It’s no surprise they gave up some points today missing two secondary starters and a first round draft pick at DE in Chop Robinson, but the offense didn’t help at all. Drew Allar seems to be all icing and no cake.

Ohio State is also in trouble at the QB position. I was not impressed at all with Devin Brown while he was in there and the next kid was bad. If you don’t have elite QB play these days you’re not going to win. I think the door is open for some new faces to compete for the BIG next season. Also, Ryan Day is still a jacka$$.

Comment

• Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

I'm definitely giving credit to Northwestern for beating a team that will likely be a contender in the Big 12 next year after having won the previous two PACifist-12 conference titles heading into this season. I guess my point was that the B1G West teams were pretty much indistinguishable from each other as far as "ugly ball" was concerned.

Speaking of "ugly" State Penn's (ahem) performance in the Peach Bowl against Ole Miss is beyond ugly. Same with THE Overrated State University's sad impersonation of Iowa in the Cotton Bowl against UMo.
                          Some of the Western teams are not as bad as people think. The B1G attempt to divide the the league geographically fizzled when Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska, the three teams league officials figured would maintain some balance with the West, declined (or in Nebraska's case, sank like a stone). And sticking all three of the league's most storied programs in the East just wasn't smart. They could have split Michigan and Ohio State and still let them play their big hype game at the end of the year.

The thing that is irritating as a B1G fan when you're not a follower of one of the "big three" teams is that they lord it over the rest of us second tier programs during the regular season, but then can't take care of business when they run up against programs with resources and recruiting ability similar to theirs. The postseason records of Michigan and Ohio State are a joke considering the status of those programs. I'll be very surprised if Alabama doesn't beat Michigan in the playoff game. Penn State has a creditable bowl record overall, but most of that was accomplished during the Paterno era, and they haven't been great lately.

They can chortle about Northwestern all they want, but the Cats have now won five straight bowl games when playing teams with a similar record to theirs in the postseason. B1G bowl winners so far include Northwestern, Rutgers, Minnesota, and Maryland.

Bowl games are not worth watching anyway. Half of Florida State's team didn't even play and I just saw that Georgia crushed them, 63-3. Pick up your toys and go home, Seminoles. What a joke. I'd much rather watch a Division II playoff game.

Comment

• UGA and FSU was a great game. Lol. Goodness.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                              UGA and FSU was a great game. Lol. Goodness.
                              #nomorebowls

#thegamehaschanged

#playoffsorbust

That game was ground zero for why bowl games may be dead. Opt outs and coaching changes are a big hit to these teams on the field, and psychologically during preparation. So how do you change that? I don’t thing you can. Florida State was missing more than 20 players. They weren’t going to win regardless in my opinion, but it could have been competitive. I heard James Franklin say they’d have to look into how they’d handle “opt outs” in the future because of the impact it had on Penn State. I have no idea what that could mean. He also mentioned coaching changes being disruptive as he fired the OC and the DC is now the head coach at Duke. I agree with him that it’s a problem but disagree that there’s a suitable solution.

The best thing teams get out of bowls is the extra weeks of practice to end the year in preparation for the next season. Why does there have to be a game at the end of it? Also, these teams are “practicing” all year long nowadays anyway. Do you think players from non-bowl teams just said “goodbye” to their teammates after their last game, and “see you next spring?”

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

#nomorebowls

#thegamehaschanged

#playoffsorbust

That game was ground zero for why bowl games may be dead. Opt outs and coaching changes are a big hit to these teams on the field, and psychologically during preparation. So how do you change that? I don’t thing you can. Florida State was missing more than 20 players. They weren’t going to win regardless in my opinion, but it could have been competitive. I heard James Franklin say they’d have to look into how they’d handle “opt outs” in the future because of the impact it had on Penn State. I have no idea what that could mean. He also mentioned coaching changes being disruptive as he fired the OC and the DC is now the head coach at Duke. I agree with him that it’s a problem but disagree that there’s a suitable solution.

The best thing teams get out of bowls is the extra weeks of practice to end the year in preparation for the next season. Why does there have to be a game at the end of it? Also, these teams are “practicing” all year long nowadays anyway. Do you think players from non-bowl teams just said “goodbye” to their teammates after their last game, and “see you next spring?”
                                The bowls are a relic of the past.

They will have a 12 team playoff next year..meaning 4 rounds of playoffs.

Make the Rose and Sugar Bowls the permanent hosts of the Final Four on New Years Day and bid out the title game for anywhere each year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X