Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Florida State vs Georgia is the perfect example. I get they are both butt-hurt, but the game now is meaningless to the average viewer. Both teams have a ton of starters opting out, etc. That said, I fully recognize both teams are loaded with NFL Draft prospects. I don't blame them at all for choosing not to be pimped out one last time for a meaningless game.

I suppose if you're Dawgs and Seminoles fans you'll probably still watch. But, for Joe Average, it's a farce. The ratings for non-playoff bowl games the past several yeras are awful (like average MLB game awful).
    It's a farce because this is what we created and the media wanted. Everybody wanted a playoff, now we complain that the players opt out and the bowl games stink. You can't have it both ways.

There are a ton of bowl games that have historical ties and traditional meaning that nobody cares about anymore. Do the bowl games matter less for those teams, or have we just been conditioned to believe that if you aren't one of the chosen few, where you play in the bowl season is simply irrelevant? I tend to think it's the latter. Going to certain bowl games should still be viewed as exciting opportunities.

Again, FSU and UGA are "butthurt" from missing the playoff, but under the BCS system, neither would've played for the title anyways. Their position in the Orange Bowl would've been a GREAT game. A great opportunity to make a statement to show that they were actually the best team, not Michigan or Washington.

Comment

If a team was ever going to boycott, this is the time. End of the day, the brass will want that check.
      Wouldn't be unprecedented. A great team once DID boycott their bowl game because they felt slighted. I know a guy who started on the offensive line on this team. He's shared this story repeatedly. So FSU or UGA could boycott because they feel they are deserving of a better situation, but they wouldn't be the first to do so. Different era, but a real story.

https://triblive.com/sports/classroo...ver-bowl-snub/

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

It's a farce because this is what we created and the media wanted. Everybody wanted a playoff, now we complain that the players opt out and the bowl games stink. You can't have it both ways.

There are a ton of bowl games that have historical ties and traditional meaning that nobody cares about anymore. Do the bowl games matter less for those teams, or have we just been conditioned to believe that if you aren't one of the chosen few, where you play in the bowl season is simply irrelevant? I tend to think it's the latter. Going to certain bowl games should still be viewed as exciting opportunities.

Again, FSU and UGA are "butthurt" from missing the playoff, but under the BCS system, neither would've played for the title anyways. Their position in the Orange Bowl would've been a GREAT game. A great opportunity to make a statement to show that they were actually the best team, not Michigan or Washington.
        You can't compare them to now. Different periods.

Now the players (P5) could mostly care less about bowl games. It's become the Final Four or mass opt-outs and transfer season.

It's probably cool for the dudes who rode pine all year and all the sudden are starters. But, that seems to be about it.

I used to love the bowls. Now, I'd watch bowling or fishing ahead of the Orange Bowl.

Comment

• I wonder if there was a way to instead of straight up paying players, maybe put money in a trust available to them 6 months after leaving their institution based on revenue generated - similar to how March Madness revenue is divided. There could be some sort of financial incentive for them to play through the playoffs that supplements the potential NFL Draft money (or could financially sustain them through the spring & summer until they get that first camp check).

Comment

You can't compare them to now. Different periods.

Now the players (P5) could mostly care less about bowl games. It's become the Final Four or mass opt-outs and transfer season.

It's probably cool for the dudes who rode pine all year and all the sudden are starters. But, that seems to be about it.

I used to love the bowls. Now, I'd watch bowling or fishing ahead of the Orange Bowl.
            I think we are both agreeing while saying the same thing differently. I'm simply saying that this is the reality we created. Everyone squawked about a playoff for years. Now there is one and it's made everything less meaningless. We used to spend all season projecting who would get selected for NY6 and Tier 1 bowl games. When's the last time anyone has even talked about a Tier 1 bowl game?

As I've said before, I liked it better the way it existed previously. I never wanted or advocated for the Playoff personally.

Comment

I think we are both agreeing while saying the same thing differently. I'm simply saying that this is the reality we created. Everyone squawked about a playoff for years. Now there is one and it's made everything less meaningless. We used to spend all season projecting who would get selected for NY6 and Tier 1 bowl games. When's the last time anyone has even talked about a Tier 1 bowl game?

As I've said before, I liked it better the way it existed previously. I never wanted or advocated for the Playoff personally.
              They should have gone to a 16 team playoff or something like FCS immediately. Get rid of the bowls. Money rules I get it, but the bowls were and are completely meaningless once a playoff started. Perhaps keep some bowls similar to what HBCU's do, but beyond that it's a dumb exhibition.

80% of all these bowls, people don't attend and I find it hard to believe that it really is bringing in any extra business into the area. It's just TV revenue I guess, but isn't viewership of these bowls like WAY down as well? How do they warrant the cost or have TV deals continue to shell out for it?

Comment

• The bowls are a relic. Teams that go 6-6 get in them.

I opted out of them a long time ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

They should have gone to a 16 team playoff or something like FCS immediately. Get rid of the bowls. Money rules I get it, but the bowls were and are completely meaningless once a playoff started. Perhaps keep some bowls similar to what HBCU's do, but beyond that it's a dumb exhibition.

80% of all these bowls, people don't attend and I find it hard to believe that it really is bringing in any extra business into the area. It's just TV revenue I guess, but isn't viewership of these bowls like WAY down as well? How do they warrant the cost or have TV deals continue to shell out for it?
                  ESPN has ownership stakes in many of the lower tier bowls that they proliferated. But like you said, with attendance and TV viewership way down, they're getting their clocks cleaned financially.

I'm with you on a 16 team playoff. Many scoff, but as soon as the casual and neutral fans witness some upsets of P5 teams, people will love it. Everyone's favorite part of March Madness is the annual Cinderella team. The current system (much like the BCS) is designed to keep G5 upstarts out of a true Cinderella season. Its virtually impossible for an undefeated G5 team capable of beating an SEC team to win a championship. The G5 conferences should file a class action suit against the NCAA and CFP. But they won't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

ESPN has ownership stakes in many of the lower tier bowls that they proliferated. But like you said, with attendance and TV viewership way down, they're getting their clocks cleaned financially.

I'm with you on a 16 team playoff. Many scoff, but as soon as the casual and neutral fans witness some upsets of P5 teams, people will love it. Everyone's favorite part of March Madness is the annual Cinderella team. The current system (much like the BCS) is designed to keep G5 upstarts out of a true Cinderella season. It’s virtually impossible for an undefeated G5 team capable of beating an SEC team to win a championship. The G5 conferences should file a class action suit against the NCAA and CFP. But they won't.
                    I would argue that under the BCS system, those teams had a better chance to break the glass ceiling and reach that level or stage. Keep in mind that the culture was much different pertaining to bowls then. Playing in the Orange Bowl wasn’t an unjust punishment. So Boise State playing in the Fiesta Bowl was a big, big deal at the time. And we rooted for those teams. We don’t root for those team anymore - not in the same way at least. Largely because the media doesn’t benefit from those schools with small followings, so a narrative gets shoved down our throats that those teams are so much lesser than everyone else.

UCF was a great example. Perhaps their outspoken fanbase contributed, but people rooted for UCF every week for a 2 year stretch or so. In the BCS era we would have loved UCF.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

This is what I was thinking reading through the discussion. I do like a playoff because I like having a champion at the end that was determined on the field. I never thought the BCS truly provided that because it involved so few teams and too much conjecture. That said, this season was the first time it ended in a complete mess with seven teams having reasonable arguments of why they should have been in.

Maybe bowls have run their course. It’s a different time we’re living in now and it’s time to move on. I haven’t watched a full quarter of any of the bowl games so far, and I like football about as much as anyone. I’m sure I’ll watch some of the New Year’s Bowls because that’s just what you do, but I won’t be glued to them like I would have been 20 years ago.

Comment

I would argue that under the BCS system, those teams had a better chance to break the glass ceiling and reach that level or stage. Keep in mind that the culture was much different pertaining to bowls then. Playing in the Orange Bowl wasn’t an unjust punishment. So Boise State playing in the Fiesta Bowl was a big, big deal at the time. And we rooted for those teams. We don’t root for those team anymore - not in the same way at least. Largely because the media doesn’t benefit from those schools with small followings, so a narrative gets shoved down our throats that those teams are so much lesser than everyone else.

UCF was a great example. Perhaps their outspoken fanbase contributed, but people rooted for UCF every week for a 2 year stretch or so. In the BCS era we would have loved UCF.
                        I guess you're right. Because those Utah, Boise State, and Texas Christian interloper years were a big factor in creating the P5/G5 setup.

Comment

• Because Florida's gotta Florida...

The Florida State trustees have called a special meeting to discuss the financial and legal steps needed to leave the ACC.

Comment

Because Florida's gotta Florida...

The Florida State trustees have called a special meeting to discuss the financial and legal steps needed to leave the ACC.
                            It's inevitable. Buyout be damned - and, it's a big one. They've been unhappy with the ACC. This was the final straw.

Most would think the SEC would be logical, but don't rule out the BIG.

I don't know the logistics of it, but I'd venture to guess the BIG would punt Rutgers and Maryland in a second.

I can promise one thing: When the Noles leave, Miami won't be far behind.

Comment

It's inevitable. Buyout be damned - and, it's a big one. They've been unhappy with the ACC. This was the final straw.

Most would think the SEC would be logical, but don't rule out the BIG.

I don't know the logistics of it, but I'd venture to guess the BIG would punt Rutgers and Maryland in a second.

I can promise one thing: When the Noles leave, Miami won't be far behind.
                              Its possible. Before the recent west coast expansion, I would have said no only because the Big Ten likes to think of themselves as the public flagship version of the Ivy League. Northwestern gets grandfathered in but along with USC, they are both top R1 institutions. FSU's academics are underrated but they would have the smallest endowment in the conference. I also believe there's a chance the latest B1G expansion may have a limited shelf life. Football and basketball run the ships but the impact on every other team is going to quickly wear down ADs.

Comment

Its possible. Before the recent west coast expansion, I would have said no only because the Big Ten likes to think of themselves as the public flagship version of the Ivy League. Northwestern gets grandfathered in but along with USC, they are both top R1 institutions. FSU's academics are underrated but they would have the smallest endowment in the conference. I also believe there's a chance the latest B1G expansion may have a limited shelf life. Football and basketball run the ships but the impact on every other team is going to quickly wear down ADs.
                                Palo Alto to Piscataway for a volleyball game is quite the haul.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X