Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
    Bowl games are a relic. They need to go.
    The pimp has to squeeze every last dollar out of his ho

Comment

• I don't see anything wrong with most bowl games. Most college athletes have no shot at the NFL, and a bowl game gives them one more chance to play a team they don't normally see in a stadium they don't normally play in.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Can't say I necessarily blame any of these players. But this is what people wanted. They wanted a playoff. The reason none of these games matter is because of the CFP and the importance that we (fans) and the media place on it. It's Playoff or bust - nothing else matters. The Orange Bowl is now an unjust consolation prize for Florida State or Georgia. Under the old BCS system, neither would have played for the BCS national championship, however, their players would be excited for the opportunity to cap off a great season in a NY6 Bowl.

And if the response by any is, "Well this won't matter once the playoff expands. All of these teams will make it in." Get ready for players to opt out because they don't want to throw their body on the line for an extra 4 games. That's the next thing that will happen. There's already been past players who have discussed that.
        So you're saying if none of the bowl games counted for a championship that the players would stick around just to play in a New Year's Day bowl? I'm not sure players would remain in these bowl games whether there was a playoff or not. People from places such as Ohio State are entering the transfer portal. Players and coaches want more money. Plus, there are currently 41 bowl games, and most of them would not be any more prestigious if there was no playoff. This is what brings in more money. If the extra games are a big problem, it is nowhere written in stone that the regular season must be 12 games or that you must play a championship game. Again, money talks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

So you're saying if none of the bowl games counted for a championship that the players would stick around just to play in a New Year's Day bowl? I'm not sure players would remain in these bowl games whether there was a playoff or not. People from places such as Ohio State are entering the transfer portal. Players and coaches want more money. Plus, there are currently 41 bowl games, and most of them would not be any more prestigious if there was no playoff. This is what brings in more money. If the extra games are a big problem, it is nowhere written in stone that the regular season must be 12 games or that you must play a championship game. Again, money talks.
          Players never opted out of bowl games before the College Football Playoff. People never felt that the "prestigious" or "historical" bowl games were meaningless until the College Football Playoff. I'm simply drawing the correlation here.

And players are entering the Transfer Portal now because that's the window to do so. The Monday after the final week of the college football season is when you are permitted to enter the portal. You have until January 2nd to do so. Prior to the portal being part of college football, players elected to transfer after the bowl season due to the semester break, allowing them to enroll in a new school for the spring semester.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

They must generate some money (the nobody-cares bowls) in advertising and TV. If you look at about 85% of the them on TV, the crowd resembles a Pitt game. They sure aren't making money on ticket sales.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They must generate some money (the nobody-cares bowls) in advertising and TV. If you look at about 85% of the them on TV, the crowd resembles a Pitt game. They sure aren't making money on ticket sales.
              LOL here we go again with f’n Pitt attendance reference. Why can’t it just be acknowledged that they play in a stadium that is larger than their fan base requires and just let it die?

I get the reference is about empty pockets of seats, not sheer numbers, but damn…

Comment

LOL here we go again with f’n Pitt attendance reference. Why can’t it just be acknowledged that they play in a stadium that is larger than their fan base requires and just let it die?

I get the reference is about empty pockets of seats, not sheer numbers, but damn…
                It could be worse...they could be Temple playing at the Linc which I think seats more than Whatever They Call It Now Field in Yinzerburgh.

Temple's numbers this year for each home game

Temple/Akron - 12,456

Temple/Norfolk State - 10,932

Temple/Miami (FL) - 17,234

Temple/Texastan-San Antonio - 18,388

Temple/SMU - 11,232

Temple/Navy - 13,049

Temple/memphis - 10,830.

They have 37000 students. The University Campus and The Linc are literally connected door to door by the Broad Street Subway.

They really need to drop to FCS and ditch playing at The Linc. Penn would probably charge less renting out Franklin Field.

Comment

Players never opted out of bowl games before the College Football Playoff. People never felt that the "prestigious" or "historical" bowl games were meaningless until the College Football Playoff. I'm simply drawing the correlation here.

And players are entering the Transfer Portal now because that's the window to do so. The Monday after the final week of the college football season is when you are permitted to enter the portal. You have until January 2nd to do so. Prior to the portal being part of college football, players elected to transfer after the bowl season due to the semester break, allowing them to enroll in a new school for the spring semester.
                  January 1st was my favorite day of the sports calendar as a kid/young adult. Now I couldn’t tell you when any bowl other than the playoff games is happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

January 1st was my favorite day of the sports calendar as a kid/young adult. Now I couldn’t tell you when any bowl other than the playoff games is happening.
                    I used to love New Year's day college football bowl games as well. I stopped doing the bowl pick em's as soon as the playoffs started about 10 years ago, it immediately became unimportant and lost all its luster. College football regular season is still pretty good, but now I really only look forward to March Madness as a sporting event.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I used to love New Year's day college football bowl games as well. I stopped doing the bowl pick em's as soon as the playoffs started about 10 years ago, it immediately became unimportant and lost all its luster. College football regular season is still pretty good, but now I really only look forward to March Madness as a sporting event.
                      Florida State vs Georgia is the perfect example. I get they are both butt-hurt, but the game now is meaningless to the average viewer. Both teams have a ton of starters opting out, etc. That said, I fully recognize both teams are loaded with NFL Draft prospects. I don't blame them at all for choosing not to be pimped out one last time for a meaningless game.

I suppose if you're Dawgs and Seminoles fans you'll probably still watch. But, for Joe Average, it's a farce. The ratings for non-playoff bowl games the past several yeras are awful (like average MLB game awful).

Comment

Florida State vs Georgia is the perfect example. I get they are both butt-hurt, but the game now is meaningless to the average viewer. Both teams have a ton of starters opting out, etc. That said, I fully recognize both teams are loaded with NFL Draft prospects. I don't blame them at all for choosing not to be pimped out one last time for a meaningless game.

I suppose if you're Dawgs and Seminoles fans you'll probably still watch. But, for Joe Average, it's a farce. The ratings for non-playoff bowl games the past several yeras are awful (like average MLB game awful).
                        I was reading that most of the fan base and alumni wants FSU to come out warm up and then walkout of the stadium. In response to being left out of the playoff, honestly I'd think that was hilarious and would be all for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I was reading that most of the fan base and alumni wants FSU to come out warm up and then walkout of the stadium. In response to being left out of the playoff, honestly I'd think that was hilarious and would be all for it.
                          If a team was ever going to boycott, this is the time. End of the day, the brass will want that check.

Comment

Makes me want to wax philosophical on this. When we were growing up and were introduced to sports, whether we participated in them or watched them and followed and rooted for teams and players, etc., it was very different. Through sports, and at that time it was principally males, we learned the concepts of teamwork, personal responsibility, how to win and how to lose, commitment to something beyond yourself, and a whole range of factors that were directly transferable to life like working in an organization, family responsibilities, community life, and participation and, even in generations past, being in (world) wars.

Those aspects, in my view, have gradually evaporated from competitive sports. And I think it affects (or reflects) our society broadly.

The emphasis on individualism (and I value individualism in a reasonable context) as superseding a broader sense of values, whether we are talking about the transfer portal, NIL's, opting out of bowl games, or other developments, can, in my opinion, be viewed as part of the breakdown of American society. I mean, when has it been acceptable for Americans to "opt-out" of anything?

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Makes me want to wax philosophical on this. When we were growing up and were introduced to sports, whether we participated in them or watched them and followed and rooted for teams and players, etc., it was very different. Through sports, and at that time it was principally males, we learned the concepts of teamwork, personal responsibility, how to win and how to lose, commitment to something beyond yourself, and a whole range of factors that were directly transferable to life like working in an organization, family responsibilities, community life, and participation and, even in generations past, being in (world) wars.

Those aspects, in my view, have gradually evaporated from competitive sports. And I think it affects (or reflects) our society broadly.

The emphasis on individualism (and I value individualism in a reasonable context) as superseding a broader sense of values, whether we are talking about the transfer portal, NIL's, opting out of bowl games, or other developments, can, in my opinion, be viewed as part of the breakdown of American society. I mean, when has it been acceptable for Americans to "opt-out" of anything?
                              Valid points. In this specific context, though, I have no issues with them opting out. If you have Round 1 or Round 2 money waiting, a meaningless bowl game isn't worth the risk. If they are already projected in the first two rounds, there's nothing to really gain - and a ton to possibly lose.

Many of these guys wouldn't even graduate. Blow a knee now and the draft is gone. If you fall several rounds start subtracting zeros.

Do they 'owe' it to the school to not opt-out and play? That's debatable to many.
                              ​​​​​

The Florida State issue is viewed by them to be a major injustice. It would make a huge statement to not play but that won't happen. They'll trot out an intramural team if it means getting that Orange Bowl check.

Comment

Valid points. In this specific context, though, I have no issues with them opting out. If you have Round 1 or Round 2 money waiting, a meaningless bowl game isn't worth the risk. If they are already projected in the first two rounds, there's nothing to really gain - and a ton to possibly lose.

Many of these guys wouldn't even graduate. Blow a knee now and the draft is gone. If you fall several rounds start subtracting zeros.

Do they 'owe' it to the school to not opt-out and play? That's debatable to many.
                                ​​​​​

The Florida State issue is viewed by them to be a major injustice. It would make a huge statement to not play but that won't happen. They'll trot out an intramural team if it means getting that Orange Bowl check.
                                I knew you would take that angle. Not that I disagree with the "specific context" but I am trying to view it all with a wide-angle lens.

The specific context is just a product of a much bigger context. That's what I am referring to.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X