Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    How much longer until Pitt bans Narduzzi from doing talk shows?

Goodness.

Madden lit him up in his column today in the Trib.

Leave a comment:

• WarriorVoice
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Then why are you ragging on me when you know the Big 5 is now just Villanova and the four they gang up on on.
    ...NSFW...
    Last edited by WarriorVoice; 07-21-2022, 04:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Saw a doubleheader there in '70. Villanova was playing Princeton (which actually was a pretty good team then), and Penn, I believe, was playing one of the other Big 5. It was a great evening. That was the Villanova team that finished as a national runner-up to UCLA (naturally back then), but was stripped of its placement by the NCAA when it was revealed Villanova star Howard Porter had signed with an agent while still playing. Seems a joke now when they're actually paying players and even talking about money for high school players.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Well aware of the history. I grew up in Philly...
    Then why are you ragging on me when you know the Big 5 is now just Villanova and the four they gang up on on.

Leave a comment:

• WarriorVoice
    replied
    Well aware of the history. I grew up in Philly...

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

The only event I've ever been to at The Palestra was a wrestling match between LHU and UPenn. I'm probably one of only a few people who can say that. In fact, I might be the only person who would say that.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

The Palestra is a special venue. Every basketball fan should see at least one game there.
    The only event I've ever been to at The Palestra was a wrestling match between LHU and UPenn. I'm probably one of only a few people who can say that. In fact, I might be the only person who would say that.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Total research expenditures, FY20 (latest data available)

Michigan $1,683,885,431
    Wisconsin $1,365,553,000
    Minnesota $1,070,467,000
    Penn State $1,007,929,000
    Ohio State $968,259,897
    Michigan State $713,197,000
    Purdue $695,247,000
    Illinois $689,000,000
    Rutgers $688,077,000
    Northwestern $667,855,333
    Indiana $576,582,396
    Maryland $512,000,000
    Iowa $490,133,594
    Nebraska $435,889,516
    UCLA $1,213,641,508
    USC $941,198,000

Pitt $642,000,000
    Temple $299,707,000

IUP $11,000,000
    Thanks for the info. At least we made the list.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Total research expenditures, FY20 (latest data available)

Michigan $1,683,885,431
    Wisconsin $1,365,553,000
    Minnesota $1,070,467,000
    Penn State $1,007,929,000
    Ohio State $968,259,897
    Michigan State $713,197,000
    Purdue $695,247,000
    Illinois $689,000,000
    Rutgers $688,077,000
    Northwestern $667,855,333
    Indiana $576,582,396
    Maryland $512,000,000
    Iowa $490,133,594
    Nebraska $435,889,516
    UCLA $1,213,641,508
    USC $941,198,000

Pitt $642,000,000
    Temple $299,707,000

IUP $11,000,000

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied

I know Nebraskastan is a clap for credit school but Rutgers not measuring up is surprising.
    Nebraska-Lincoln was part of the AAU when they joined the B1G, but they were kicked out of the AAU since most of their relevant (to the AAU) research was via the UofN Medical Center in Omaha as opposed to the main campus in Lincoln (or some other crazy reason that I'd have to check with Mr. Google to confirm). But I would think that U Joisey's academics would at least measure up to State Penn, Meatchicken, etc.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Geographically, yes, but not from an academic perspective, which used to be considered back then. Nebraska and Rutgers are a stretch academically for the Big Ten but Maryland fits. Big Ten takes the academic fit seriously similar to the Ivy League. At several college/university industry association conferences there are work sessions for Big Ten schools.

I really think this has the chance to fail and if it causes the Pac 10 to dissolve could create even further issues. Not just the geographical challenges but it also further divides the financial pie from bowl games, March Madness, etc.
    I don't know that I would say that about Rutgers academically, especially since they're part of the AAU.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

The entire concept of The Big Five harkens back to an earlier, simpler time. Those matchups long ago and big games at The Palestra were huge events in Philly sports. Not the case now. The "Big Five" is something of legend now. It's not surprising.
    The Palestra is a special venue. Every basketball fan should see at least one game there.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

That's all true, IMO, but I do think Nebraska-Lincoln and Rutgers main campus meet the research institution requirements for the Big 10 without any compromising from the influence of the football side of things. Obviously, football-wise it expanded the footprint from NYC area to the far midwest. With the additions of the California schools, the Big 10 means a lot of power and a lot of money.

If there was an entry in the dictionary for "big-time college sports" it would have the B1G logo beside it.
    Rutgers certainly gave them an actual footprint in NYC as far as the television market goes (which is all that really matters). That said, actual Rutgers football is about as popular as minor league indoor soccer in Manhattan.

Add to it that Rutgers has stunk just about forever in football and men's basketball. So, obviously, they were a money grab for the market.

We'll see if old Greg can recapture the magic ... although after 3 years it doesn't appear so. Looks more like Johnny Majors Round 2 so far.

Maryland was the one that really bothered me. They were ACC royalty. To leave all those decades-old rivalries, etc., ...

Leave a comment:

• shipfbfan1
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

And, like Duke minus Coach K ... we'll see what happens with 'Nova minus Jay Wright. Both may keep rolling. But, they also may not.

Some interesting names surfaced for the LaSalle job this off-season -- mostly in the rumor mill. That last guy was a disaster.
    Until LaSalle dumps money into the program they'll be a doormat in the A-10 and Big 5. Gola Arena is the smallest in the conference, most outdated and they can't recruit A-10 caliber players with those poor facilities. That's similar to Drexel they have the smallest CAA arena, and while they did modest updates it's not better than half the local HS gyms in the city lol. Kids with CAA talent will always choose local Delaware/Towson over the Dragons like A-10 caliber recruits will pick St Joes/St Bonaventure/VCU and Richmond over LaSalle.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

That's all true, IMO, but I do think Nebraska-Lincoln and Rutgers main campus meet the research institution requirements for the Big 10 without any compromising from the influence of the football side of things. Obviously, football-wise it expanded the footprint from NYC area to the far midwest. With the additions of the California schools, the Big 10 means a lot of power and a lot of money.

If there was an entry in the dictionary for "big-time college sports" it would have the B1G logo beside it.
    Yes I think they were strong logical decisions. I think the Big 10 is just trying to do whatever it can to not lose ground to the SEC.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X