Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PASSHE Institutions Merging

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    I've looked at the approved PA State Budget for the last few years and if I'm reading it right, it doesn't look like the PASSHE budget has been cut over the last 10 years. By year, the PASSHE budget has been:

    2020 $477.47M (% change from previous year 0%)
    2019 $477.47M (+2%)
    2018 $468.108M (+3.3%)
    2017 $453.108M (+2%)
    2016 $444.224M (+2.5%)
    2015 $433.389M (+5%)
    2014 $412.751M (0%)
    2013 $412.751M (0%)
    2012 $412.751M (0%)
    2011 $412.751M

    So if I'm right, PASSHE budget has increased 15.7% over the last 10 years with all of that coming in the last six years. Note that during the same time period the PA State budget as a whole decreased by over 5%.
    Adjusted for inflation, $412,751,000 in 2011 would be $483,934,446 in today's dollars.
    http://www.indianagazette.com
    www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

      Adjusted for inflation, $412,751,000 in 2011 would be $483,934,446 in today's dollars.
      Excellent point. Illustrates why tuition has had to fill the gaps as the cost of doing business increased.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

        Adjusted for inflation, $412,751,000 in 2011 would be $483,934,446 in today's dollars.
        How much has tuition at PASSHE schools changed during the last 10 years?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

          How much has tuition at PASSHE schools changed during the last 10 years?
          It has increased. How much, I do not know.
          http://www.indianagazette.com
          www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

          Comment


          • This is from a couple weeks ago, but I just saw it now. Lots of good content from the Edinboro open forum, but in particular:

            Next, Adam Sidun asked the chancellor about graduate programs and what those offerings will look like as the plans for integration move forward. Greenstein noted graduate programs have been an integral part of Edinboro’s offerings. “These are decisions that the groups are going to have to make or pull together. I think the balance of graduate and undergraduate programming is going to come out of the work in that academic program array. What does it look like to combine the academic program array,” he said.

            With retrenchment comes less faculty on campus and thus quieter facilities, as pointed out by Dr. David Fulford, professor in the biology department. “If we’ve got the place to do the job, but we take away the people who are doing the job, how are we supposed to ever get out of this hole?”

            Circling, once again, back to growth, Greenstein said in order to meet the state needs, the universities need to increase their numbers. “But again, find the $22 million for Edinboro or the $150 million for the system. I’m open to alternatives, we just need them now,” he said. “(The solutions are) not alternatives like fire all the managers, or 10% across the board of president or chancellor’s salaries. That doesn’t get to $150 million or roughly in that ballpark. That is the extent of our problem.”

            http://www.edinboronow.com/article/c...ation-and-more

            Comment


            • Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post
              This is from a couple weeks ago, but I just saw it now. Lots of good content from the Edinboro open forum, but in particular:

              Next, Adam Sidun asked the chancellor about graduate programs and what those offerings will look like as the plans for integration move forward. Greenstein noted graduate programs have been an integral part of Edinboro’s offerings. “These are decisions that the groups are going to have to make or pull together. I think the balance of graduate and undergraduate programming is going to come out of the work in that academic program array. What does it look like to combine the academic program array,” he said.

              With retrenchment comes less faculty on campus and thus quieter facilities, as pointed out by Dr. David Fulford, professor in the biology department. “If we’ve got the place to do the job, but we take away the people who are doing the job, how are we supposed to ever get out of this hole?”

              Circling, once again, back to growth, Greenstein said in order to meet the state needs, the universities need to increase their numbers. “But again, find the $22 million for Edinboro or the $150 million for the system. I’m open to alternatives, we just need them now,” he said. “(The solutions are) not alternatives like fire all the managers, or 10% across the board of president or chancellor’s salaries. That doesn’t get to $150 million or roughly in that ballpark. That is the extent of our problem.”

              http://www.edinboronow.com/article/c...ation-and-more
              I don't understand the $22 million deficit for Edinboro or the $150 million for the system. Maybe that's the loss after a two virtual semesters?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

                I don't understand the $22 million deficit for Edinboro or the $150 million for the system. Maybe that's the loss after a two virtual semesters?
                I think its projections for several years down the road. Which is what the sustainability plans attempt to address and why they were accelerated.

                Those numbers though...say Edinboro is $22 million. Say Clarion is $18 million. And say Cal U is $12 million. I made the last 2 up but probably close. How can those 3 combine to save $52 million? Even if its $40 million.

                Failure seems inevitable.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

                  I think its projections for several years down the road. Which is what the sustainability plans attempt to address and why they were accelerated.

                  Those numbers though...say Edinboro is $22 million. Say Clarion is $18 million. And say Cal U is $12 million. I made the last 2 up but probably close. How can those 3 combine to save $52 million? Even if its $40 million.

                  Failure seems inevitable.
                  I suspect there is a lot more to come. At the end of the 2 year period, it will be close to time to negotiate a new faculty contract which ends in 2023. The big unknown is what students will do given the publicity about financial problems, and the end of the covid crisis. Sometimes a plan is just to create justification for doing what they want to do in the first place. Then they can say, "I gave you a chance, but you blew it."

                  Comment


                  • My prediction on how this plays out is a lot of Faculty and some Staff lose their jobs. The 2 pairs of schools merge into 1 school, but keep campus identities. They start to deduplicate services. This process takes a long time. Maybe a decade. Also, due to negative press from merging/financial issues, etc. the student volume decreases overall. But, then eventually increases.

                    But, the state seeing that PASSHE trimmed all the fat starts to increase funding to levels needed to sustain Universities and make this succeed.

                    Comment


                    • Looks like these two have the inside track to be the next presidents of the new schools:

                      "Clarion President Dale-Elizabeth Pehrsson was appointed to lead the effort that will begin the next phase of exploring the combination of the three western universities, while Bloomsburg President Bashar Hanna was named to head up the group looking at integrating the three northcentral schools."

                      https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/1...-campuses.html

                      Comment


                      • Looks like we are going back to the 2011 appropriation number-given today's inflation.

                        "Wednesday, the board also approved a resolution authorizing the Chancellor to seek $487 million in state appropriations for 2021-22 – a 2% increase over the current year. PASSHE will also seek $25 million for system redesign efforts as part of a multi-year request approved last year."

                        https://www.weny.com/story/42767948/...twitter_WENYTV

                        Comment


                        • Will their names change? How will student opportunities for in-person classes be divided among the campuses — separated in the case of California and Edinboro by 150 miles? What happens to extracurricular activities duplicated on the campuses including athletics? Would they be merged?

                          State System Chancellor Daniel Greenstein said those questions will be part of robust discussion as the implementation plans head to the board. “The hard work begins now,” he said.
                          https://www.post-gazette.com/news/ed...s/202010140147

                          Comment




                          • If approved, the integrations would reduce the system to 10 universities and become the most significant change in its 37-year history.
                            https://www.inquirer.com/education/p...-20201014.html



                            Comment


                            • As for the athletic side it would be safe to say that all athletics would switch to the California campus well at least Football/Basketball/Volleyball. Maybe baseball goes to the Boro/Clarion Campus. As for the East it's safe to say FB & BB would be at Bloom's campus, maybe you throw baseball at Mansfield and leave track & field at Lock Haven.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
                                As for the athletic side it would be safe to say that all athletics would switch to the California campus well at least Football/Basketball/Volleyball. Maybe baseball goes to the Boro/Clarion Campus. As for the East it's safe to say FB & BB would be at Bloom's campus, maybe you throw baseball at Mansfield and leave track & field at Lock Haven.
                                If that's how it plays out ... it is hard to imagine some of these schools no longer having a football or basketball team on campus. I get the general public could care less if Clarion has a football team or Edinboro has basketball ... but for us long-time PSAC fans it will be pretty odd.

                                If sports leave a Clarion or Edinboro ... just seems a matter of time until they become glorified community college (commuter) campuses.

                                From my perspective, why would anybody go to these schools? Athletics are a major part of campus life. In the West, should this go down, I see IUP and SRU laughing all the way to the bank. They'll get huge spikes out of this merger (of sorts). Do you want to go to the varsity college or the junior varsity college?

                                I get there are other sports beside football and basketball ... but ... two drive the bus.

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X