Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

This is an ignorant comment. Players from bad teams can sometimes be the piece that a good team is missing.
    But part of the problem is that the bad teams remain bad teams when they lose too many good pieces. The Eastern Division needs Bloomsburg and Millersville to be some semblance of what they've been in the past. The competitive level in the PSAC is just becoming too unbalanced. Of the 11 games Ship played this season, only four were really competitive. In the other seven Ship got throttled twice and routed the opponent in five others. Of course it's much better to be on the winning end of a 50-14 score than the losing end, but it's not particularly entertaining to watch. I had a choice of going to the Lock Haven game this year or a nice dinner event, and it was an easy one. I knew Lock Haven wouldn't be much of a game.

I think the kids have a right to play where they want, but the current transfer rules seem designed to lock the present power structure in place. It's even more true now at the FBS level where the four-team playoff has strengthened the hand of a few dominant teams. They need to get that expanded and get more teams involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

But part of the problem is that the bad teams remain bad teams when they lose too many good pieces. The Eastern Division needs Bloomsburg and Millersville to be some semblance of what they've been in the past. The competitive level in the PSAC is just becoming too unbalanced. Of the 11 games Ship played this season, only four were really competitive. In the other seven Ship got throttled twice and routed the opponent in five others. Of course it's much better to be on the winning end of a 50-14 score than the losing end, but it's not particularly entertaining to watch. I had a choice of going to the Lock Haven game this year or a nice dinner event, and it was an easy one. I knew Lock Haven wouldn't be much of a game.

I think the kids have a right to play where they want, but the current transfer rules seem designed to lock the present power structure in place. It's even more true now at the FBS level where the four-team playoff has strengthened the hand of a few dominant teams. They need to get that expanded and get more teams involved.
      How?

At the core of it ... money.

I've said for years on here the disparity in the PSAC is worse than MLB. Yankees and Pirates.

We have two divisions in the PSAC, but also essentially three levels -- big money, average money and no money. Yet, they are supposed to 'compete' with one another.

Add to it, as you pointed out, the current transfer culture. Said poor teams are now just becoming an audition for the players to get the hell out of the there and off to the greener pastures. The rich get richer. The poor get poorer.

Example: Johnny Clarion has a good freshman year and is getting maybe a 5% scholarship on a dreadful team. He enters the portal and the sharks have a bidding war for him. He now plays for a contender and is maybe getting a half ride. That's the future of the PSAC. The bottom teams are going to essentially be nothing but a farm club.

Comment

I think a lot of this is true. Certain teams like Shepard, and teams out west seem to have a lot more $$$ to through at maybe a local D1 player coming home. Shippensburg offers out of state kids in state tuition, don't really know how that is legal. Maybe schools like Millersville and Bloomsburg and Seton Hill will have more $$$ this year and can start really competing.

Comment

Originally posted by Futurelooksbright View Post
          I think a lot of this is true. Certain teams like Shepard, and teams out west seem to have a lot more $$$ to through at maybe a local D1 player coming home. Shippensburg offers out of state kids in state tuition, don't really know how that is legal. Maybe schools like Millersville and Bloomsburg and Seton Hill will have more $$$ this year and can start really competing.
          The privates (Seton Hill, Mercyhurst, Gannon) are in a different discussion. The PSAC 'state schools' have to raise their own (real) money for scholarships. The privates can simply run a K-MART Blue Light special on tuition.

Fightingscot82 can delve in to it deeper, but that's the gist of it.

There are ways around it. Don't take the PSAC published football scholarship list as the end-all. The East powers aren't powers by having just 5 scholarships. Players are getting money in other means -- room/board, etc. If they'd publish actual money spent on players per program, the top teams in the East would be pretty much on par with the top teams in the West.

Comment

Does anyone have the link to the D2 Transfer Portal?

Comment

Originally posted by IUP PSAC Fan View Post
              Does anyone have the link to the D2 Transfer Portal?
              There isn't a link. It's a private site. Only the football programs have access.

Comment

I'm around the program a lot, and really not seeing mass exodus. Most young players played a lot and aren't leaving!!! the loss of twins at receiver was upsetting, both were loaded with talent, good luck to them. In the end, lets see what type of offers the kids who left receive from other colleges. Lets see if they go D3 at college near where they are from. Pennsylvania has a lot of D3 school that are real good.

Comment

BloomFan0102 who said they won't miss them. Read any post I have said the Pelligrino kid is a stud, Motor never stops. If he doesn't want to be here or didn't like the way program was headed then OK let him go. As for Leiby he got hurt early in the season and seems like the coaches wanted him back, but here again if doesn't want to be here, you must move on!!!! So read through any of my posts and never have I said its ok to lose these guy, but it is what it is!!!!! Most of the young players aren't leaving, and hopefully they learned a lot this year and play better next year. Wish Leiby and Pellegrino nothing but best in the future.

Comment

Ship does not offer out-of-state students in-state rates. They have lowered out-of-state tuition and fee rates for some areas such as New Jersey and some counties in Maryland and West Virginia. It is legal because PASSHE allows them to do it. If you're going to have a state government that provides less than 25 percent of the budget for what is reputed to be a state university, you're going to have to come up with more and more creative ways to fill the other 75 percent of the budget.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

There isn't a link. It's a private site. Only the football programs have access.
                      Okay, thanks for letting me know!

Comment

Originally posted by IUP PSAC Fan View Post

Okay, thanks for letting me know!
                        If you play around on the Web, there are some sites that try to keep up. But, unfortunately, they spend about 99.9% of their time on the D1 portal.

Best source to the actual portal is a connection inside the football office.

And, of course, the players mostly all immediately post their release on Twitter so if you just do some blanket searches in there ... like, Clarion Football Transfer Portal (or something like that) ... you will likely get a lot of hits.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

This is an ignorant comment. Players from bad teams can sometimes be the piece that a good team is missing.
                          Agreed. Just because a team has a losing season doesn't mean that there aren't any talented and good players. Some people on here need to think before they type.

Comment

The privates (Seton Hill, Mercyhurst, Gannon) are in a different discussion. The PSAC 'state schools' have to raise their own (real) money for scholarships. The privates can simply run a K-MART Blue Light special on tuition.

Fightingscot82 can delve in to it deeper, but that's the gist of it.

There are ways around it. Don't take the PSAC published football scholarship list as the end-all. The East powers aren't powers by having just 5 scholarships. Players are getting money in other means -- room/board, etc. If they'd publish actual money spent on players per program, the top teams in the East would be pretty much on par with the top teams in the West.
                            Players in the west are getting money in that same fashion though. And when looks at the drop of enrollment, one could argue that more of that compensation (i.e. free room) is available in the west. So at best, room/board is a wash between the east and west.

Comment

What was McGriff's injury?
                              Meniscus, I believe

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

Players in the west are getting money in that same fashion though. And when looks at the drop of enrollment, one could argue that more of that compensation (i.e. free room) is available in the west. So at best, room/board is a wash between the east and west.
                                Dollar for dollar it's in the same ballpark. But since housing and meal plan waivers are available to all students it doesn't count toward athletic aid.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X