Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I guess I was mistaken. I thought I had seen something about wrestling returning but it was just an alumni fundraising movement.
    I think they have a thriving wrestling club. I've seen SRU wrestlers competing in open tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I think they have a thriving wrestling club. I've seen SRU wrestlers competing in open tournaments.

How do our schools who have wrestling do at the gate? Do the programs have large followings?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

How do our schools who have wrestling do at the gate? Do the programs have large followings?
        Of the D1 schools, LHU often sells out Thomas Fieldhouse. They get crowds of 2500-2800 to some matches. For example, the first week of December they have Michigan State coming in for a dual and a few days later Lehigh comes in for a dual. They get a lot of students, people from the community, and other wrestling fans who will travel to see the match.

I believe Clarion draws well for wrestling, followed by Boro and Bloom.

Don't overlook D2 PSAC wrestling, though. The PSAC is actually one of the toughest D2 conferences for wrestling. A lot of good programs. I don't know how they draw for their matches.

The other thing is college wrestling emphasizes tournaments. Lock Haven will host 3 tournaments this year. The Clarion Open was last week and is a popular start of the season tourney. Edinboro also hosts a tourney, I believe after Jan. 1.

P.S. I'm talking pre-Covid. I'd say the situation is up in the air right now.
        Last edited by iupgroundhog; 11-19-2021, 09:01 AM.

Comment

The D1 programs seem to draw better than men's basketball. I don't know why but Edinboro doesn't report attendance for wrestling. They also play a pretty good schedule that draws in wrestling folks from Erie & Crawford Counties. You see a lot more high school kids and father/son duos at Edinboro wrestling than you see at Edinboro football or men's basketball. Edinboro usually has a pretty strong home schedule. This year the only marquis home match was Pitt last weekend. The old EWL had better big names than the MAC especially now that Pitt joined the ACC (which has really helped wrestling). Edinboro sold out McComb when they hosted Iowa several years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

The D1 programs seem to draw better than men's basketball. I don't know why but Edinboro doesn't report attendance for wrestling. They also play a pretty good schedule that draws in wrestling folks from Erie & Crawford Counties. You see a lot more high school kids and father/son duos at Edinboro wrestling than you see at Edinboro football or men's basketball. Edinboro usually has a pretty strong home schedule. This year the only marquis home match was Pitt last weekend. The old EWL had better big names than the MAC especially now that Pitt joined the ACC (which has really helped wrestling). Edinboro sold out McComb when they hosted Iowa several years ago.
            When I used to cover the state wrestling tourney I was impressed by the loyalty of wrestling fans. They're a relatively small group overall, but they're really dedicated to the sport and that loyalty often stretches across generations as with the father/son duos you point out. Pa. has slipped some in football, but it is still one of the premier wrestling states in the country. I've noticed SEC fans like to dismiss the Big 10's prominence in wrestling by saying it's a minor sport, but then again people often like to dismiss something when they're not very good at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

When I used to cover the state wrestling tourney I was impressed by the loyalty of wrestling fans. They're a relatively small group overall, but they're really dedicated to the sport and that loyalty often stretches across generations as with the father/son duos you point out. Pa. has slipped some in football, but it is still one of the premier wrestling states in the country. I've noticed SEC fans like to dismiss the Big 10's prominence in wrestling by saying it's a minor sport, but then again people often like to dismiss something when they're not very good at it.
              It's cult-like.

Comment

Pellegrino officially in the portal.

Thomas Pellegrino
                @ThomasPellegr12
                40m
                Thankful for all that Bloomsburg has given me for the past 4 years. With that being said I am entered in the transfer portal with 2 years of eligibility. #54

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
                  Pellegrino officially in the portal.

Thomas Pellegrino
                  @ThomasPellegr12
                  40m
                  Thankful for all that Bloomsburg has given me for the past 4 years. With that being said I am entered in the transfer portal with 2 years of eligibility. #54
                  Bloomsburg football loosing their punter to the transfer portal......

Comment

Originally posted by Footballfanofall View Post

Bloomsburg football loosing their punter to the transfer portal......
                    He spent 5 years at Bloom and going to attend graduate school.

Logan Leiby
                    @LeibyLogan
                    So thankful for my time at Bloomsburg University! Loved everyone of my teammates like family the last 4 years. With that being said, I have entered the transfer portal to continue my football career and post graduate studies! 2 Years of Eligibility

Jaco Sattamini
                    @jacosattamini
                    34m

Comment

Slippery Rock just offered former Clarion WR Quinn Zinobile.

He also has a Duquesne offer. I'd assume there are others, too.

Comment

Slippery Rock just offered former Clarion WR Quinn Zinobile.

He also has a Duquesne offer. I'd assume there are others, too.
                        Zinobile going to Zelienople?

Comment

Originally posted by RocknTheSnackBar View Post

Zinobile going to Zelienople?
                          Cal offered him today, too.

Comment

SRU just cleared a lot of cap money at WR.

Comment

Cal offered him today, too.
                              Why didn't Zinobile go to Cal or SRU out of high school? Did they recruit him??? Was he the No. 1 guy at Clarion? What will he be at CAL/SRU? 1? 2? 3? 4?

Comment

Originally posted by Cavalier 1 View Post

Why didn't Zinobile go to Cal or SRU out of high school? Did they recruit him??? Was he the No. 1 guy at Clarion? What will he be at CAL/SRU? 1? 2? 3? 4?
                                He's a stud. On a good team he'll be really good.

Cal and SRU offered but I'll be shocked if he stays in D2.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X