Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Be careful what you wish for ... LOL.

West Florida probably isn't signing in to a home/home unless it's with a marquee opponent. They have the clout now to pretty much just take home non-conference games (if they can find one). None of our teams have near the budget to take a game down there. Being they also defeated an FCS team this year in Week 1, those games may be hard to find, too.

It's not easy finding non-conference games once you reach the top of the mountain. Seems WF and Ferris are on this list searching for Week 1 on a now-yearly basis.

In the old days, IUP routinely played these monster non-conference games with teams from across the country. Those days (and budgets) are long gone.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
      Though we never know until the schedules are posted, is it fair to assume if two teams played last year they'll play again this year?
      Psac schedules in football a 2 year cycle..

Comment

Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

Psac schedules in football a 2 year cycle..
        Looking for the OOC games. When the VULCANS PSAC schedule includes KUTZ, SHEP, IUP and SRU in a 7 week stretch, week 1 better be a bit on the soft side.

Comment

Though we never know until the schedules are posted, is it fair to assume if two teams played last year they'll play again this year?
          Certainly not true for Shippensburg. We had Edinboro, Clarion, and Mercyhurst from the West this season. Next year it's Seton Hill, IUP, and Gannon. The OOC game is at West Virginia State.

Comment

Looking for the OOC games. When the VULCANS PSAC schedule includes KUTZ, SHEP, IUP and SRU in a 7 week stretch, week 1 better be a bit on the soft side.
            You sound like all the IUP fans that got made fun of last year for wanting a cupcake Week 1 or no game in Week 1. LOL. You'll find out how fun that schedule is next year. At least Cal gets a break in between IUP and SRU.

Comment

Just don't lose to a 1 win team and split those 4 and you should be fine for the playoffs. Not sure about KUTZ, but Shepherd could take a step back next year unless some guys really step into their roles. Losing a lot of seniors and grad students, probably 25 plus. But they'll still have Bagent...

Comment

You sound like all the IUP fans that got made fun of last year for wanting a cupcake Week 1 or no game in Week 1. LOL. You'll find out how fun that schedule is next year. At least Cal gets a break in between IUP and SRU.
                I'm always in favor of week 1 games but since they're self scheduled they should, if possible, balance the SOS. 5-6 Fairmont State was probably a good choice when they were coming off a 5 year stretch of 7-3 average record. Hard to say if they'd be the best option in '22/'23. Maybe a couple short trips down I-70 to WU or WLU.

Comment

ESU has a Week 1 trip to Pleasantville NY in 2022. Sounds like a nice place.
                  Last edited by WarriorVoice; 11-18-2021, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Granted, BUT if I may play devil's advocate... if IUP had played Tiffin week 1 and won, I'd say they would have had at least an argument to be in the playoffs over Rock, even with the loss to Edinboro. They would have had 4 wins over teams over .500, compared to Rock's 1, and would also have won head-to-head.

Yes, it's a big if, and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with avoiding a tough week 1 matchup. Just a thought experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

Granted, BUT if I may play devil's advocate... if IUP had played Tiffin week 1 and won, I'd say they would have had at least an argument to be in the playoffs over Rock, even with the loss to Edinboro. They would have had 4 wins over teams over .500, compared to Rock's 1, and would also have won head-to-head.

Yes, it's a big if, and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with avoiding a tough week 1 matchup. Just a thought experiment.
                      They didn't need to play Tiffin. They needed to close out a 14-point fourth quarter lead against Cal and beat a 1-6 Edinboro. And, of course, not have 3 straight punts blocked.

Comment

IUP can look at all these different factors, coaching, player motivation, or any of the rest of the things that have been talked about but it could just be that a schedule where you play all of the top teams, east and west, during a single season is a bit much. It may just be hard to find consistency week to week with that schedule. There is a lot of parity across the top rung of teams, as evidenced by teams beating teams who beat teams they lost to, etc. You'll have to have a real superior team to beat all of the top dogs in one season. Just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
                          ESU has a Week 1 trip to Pleasantville NY in 2022. Sounds like a nice place.
                          It will be a good tune-up for IUP who comes to Eiler-Martin Stadium in Week 2, although it still might be week 1 for IUP.... We'll have the message board ready to go...

Comment

They didn't need to play Tiffin. They needed to close out a 14-point fourth quarter lead against Cal and beat a 1-6 Edinboro. And, of course, not have 3 straight punts blocked.
                            You're not wrong. It's a risk/reward. Was the potential reward of a Tiffin win, thus giving IUP much more margin for error, worth the risk of a Tiffin loss and playing from behind the rest of the season? Probably not, but it's a trade off.

Comment

I think that given IUP's OWP any OOC win could have put them in. But then they'd also risk embarrassment in the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                                I think that given IUP's OWP any OOC win could have put them in. But then they'd also risk embarrassment in the playoffs.
                                So long as the game wasn't at Miller, I'd have given them a shot against anybody in the SR1 playoffs.

If it was at home they'd have been one-and-done.

That sounds so odd but unfortunately it's true.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X