Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

You're not wrong. It's a risk/reward. Was the potential reward of a Tiffin win, thus giving IUP much more margin for error, worth the risk of a Tiffin loss and playing from behind the rest of the season? Probably not, but it's a trade off.

This Tiffin thing keeps coming up because of some poster from the GLIAC. Heck, IUP could have played them, Charleston, Concord ... point being nobody knows what discussions were held. Charleston didn't play in Week 1, either, ... finished 8-2, and missed the playoffs.

The only thing factual the IUP contingent can sob about is the blown Cal game and the following week no-show disaster. Skipping Week 1 wasn't on our radar (as fans as we have no say).

Trust me, I'd play an 11th game every year. They don't ask for my opinion, however. LOL.

Tort has been asked about it 100 times now this year and he keeps pointing back to 2019 when they went on the road in Week 1 and beat Ashland, finished 9-2 and still missed the playoffs.

The other side of the coin, obviously, is every year is different when it comes to Selection Sunday.

In his defense, how many teams would take a huge Week 1 game knowing Kutztown and Shepherd are right behind it? Not many. Would Cal schedule a (preseason) Top 20 team next year in Week 1 (as they then have Kutztown and Shepherd in Weeks 2 and 3)? I highly doubt it. It's just not smart.

Comment

The lesson from the 2019 Ashland game, I think, is not to schedule tough games against teams from conferences in other regions. Because even if you win, you're not impacting rival conferences' SOS. That's the lesson the GMAC is learning as well.

It's unfortunate, because those games are often really compelling. But it's just not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

This Tiffin thing keeps coming up because of some poster from the GLIAC. Heck, IUP could have played them, Charleston, Concord ... point being nobody knows what discussions were held. Charleston didn't play in Week 1, either, ... finished 8-2, and missed the playoffs.

The only thing factual the IUP contingent can sob about is the blown Cal game and the following week no-show disaster. Skipping Week 1 wasn't on our radar (as fans as we have no say).

Trust me, I'd play an 11th game every year. They don't ask for my opinion, however. LOL.

Tort has been asked about it 100 times now this year and he keeps pointing back to 2019 when they went on the road in Week 1 and beat Ashland, finished 9-2 and still missed the playoffs.

The other side of the coin, obviously, is every year is different when it comes to Selection Sunday.

In his defense, how many teams would take a huge Week 1 game knowing Kutztown and Shepherd are right behind it? Not many. Would Cal schedule a (preseason) Top 20 team next year in Week 1 (as they then have Kutztown and Shepherd in Weeks 2 and 3)? I highly doubt it. It's just not smart.
        VULCANS need one of two possible I-70 games...WU or WLU. Then hope to pull 2 upsets among the big 4.

Comment

This is not correct. 2019 you made the playoffs, lost to Shepherd on that last drive. 2018 IUP also played Ashland (think your referring to this season) but you also went 8-3 that year so you weren't going to the playoffs anyway. Perhaps at 8-2 heading into the no show final week with Shippensburg was what he was referring to and that's why the team played without a care in the world.

Comment

The lesson from the 2019 Ashland game, I think, is not to schedule tough games against teams from conferences in other regions. Because even if you win, you're not impacting rival conferences' SOS. That's the lesson the GMAC is learning as well.

It's unfortunate, because those games are often really compelling. But it's just not worth it.
            I agree, if the PSAC can try and get some good matchups in week one against the other conferences we compete with for playoff positioning we would be better off as a whole. West Chester against Bentley was one this year, Shepherd/ODU, IUP and Ashland now would work.

If SRU/IUP/Cal could try and get Notre Dame or one of the GMAC Findlay/ODU/Hillsdale etc, that would be great. Then the East side can try and knock off the NE10, we could get 5 teams in like in 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I agree, if the PSAC can try and get some good matchups in week one against the other conferences we compete with for playoff positioning we would be better off as a whole. West Chester against Bentley was one this year, Shepherd/ODU, IUP and Ashland now would work.

If SRU/IUP/Cal could try and get Notre Dame or one of the GMAC Findlay/ODU/Hillsdale etc, that would be great. Then the East side can try and knock off the NE10, we could get 5 teams in like in 2019.
              The issue is that the other conference knows in most years it would heavily benefit the PSAC and hurt their chance at multiple bids so they'll never agree to it. We have a better shot playing strong teams out of our region for SOS points if we win.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post

The issue is that the other conference knows in most years it would heavily benefit the PSAC and hurt their chance at multiple bids so they'll never agree to it. We have a better shot playing strong teams out of our region for SOS points if we win.
                Maybe, but the GMAC doesn't seem to be ducking anyone. They have 3/4 OOC games so the PSAC west, if they are proactive, should always have options there. The NE10 has nowhere else to turn but to the PSAC for OOC games. The MEC I'm not if they are only open week 1 like we are, or if its 1 team on bye at different points of the season.

Comment

This is not correct. 2019 you made the playoffs, lost to Shepherd on that last drive. 2018 IUP also played Ashland (think your referring to this season) but you also went 8-3 that year so you weren't going to the playoffs anyway. Perhaps at 8-2 heading into the no show final week with Shippensburg was what he was referring to and that's why the team played without a care in the world.
                  The Ashland win in 2018 was IUP sole win over a team with a winning record. While I think the team gets in if they beat Shippensburg in the season finale, the problem was that IUP did not split against Slippery Rock and Cal U, which made their resume look fairly weak.

Comment

Yes ... '18. My fault.

But prior to the Ship quit game they were 8-2 but like 10th in the RR.

Fairmont played a Jabroni Week 1 but was like 5 with same record.

Comment

Yes ... '18. My fault.

But prior to the Ship quit game they were 8-2 but like 10th in the RR.

Fairmont played a Jabroni Week 1 but was like 5 with same record.

Comment

They didn't. But, they played 2-8 Stonehill in Week 1, entered Week 11 with same record as IUP, and were ranked 5th while IUP beat Ashland and was 10th.

It's so sporadic year to year. Just win. The rest takes care of itself. Usually.

Comment

Granted, BUT if I may play devil's advocate... if IUP had played Tiffin week 1 and won, I'd say they would have had at least an argument to be in the playoffs over Rock, even with the loss to Edinboro. They would have had 4 wins over teams over .500, compared to Rock's 1, and would also have won head-to-head.

Yes, it's a big if, and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with avoiding a tough week 1 matchup. Just a thought experiment.
                          They would have still had 3 losses...and would have been left home.

We did not deserve to even sniff a playoff bid.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

It will be a good tune-up for IUP who comes to Eiler-Martin Stadium in Week 2, although it still might be week 1 for IUP.... We'll have the message board ready to go...
                            ....and I just might be sitting across the field. Won't that make your day? I'll wave! I'll be chanting "Scooorreeboooard...Scooooorrrreeebooooard!!"

In fact...I might just make a weekend of it if the weather is nice...go to Bushkill the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

It will be a good tune-up for IUP who comes to Eiler-Martin Stadium in Week 2, although it still might be week 1 for IUP.... We'll have the message board ready to go...
                              Have that scoreboard ready. #smackdown looming for the Jimmy's.

Comment

Can someone fill me in on this scoreboard thing?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X