Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

My guess (wild) is that PWU-CLARION and PASSHE-MILLERSVILLE will be the first to drop FB leaving two gaps in the league IF they don't simply decide to scale down to two 7 team conferences with additional OOC/XO games to assure an 11game schedule. Any drop below 14 teams would mean aggressive poaching or shifting to one large 10-13 team league. Time will tell.
    Doubt Millersville would drop out before Lock Haven unless you know something I don't. Just my opinion. Outside of a couple of outlier years, Lock Haven has never really been very competitive in football/.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Nah, it was only five years ago. Plus, without playoffs to cover, I am bored.
      Must be a reoccuring theme with IUP/ESU.... i though Nation was always referring to big Frank Cignetti and not Curt?

Comment

Come on, you were there. Look at the play-by-play.

IUP's starters were out after the first possession of the fourth quarter. It got out of hand because ESU couldn't stop anyone in an IUP uniform. I mean, IUP took a knee at the ESU 2 in the final minute.

I remember walking off the field and Curt Cignetti said to me something like, "I'm gonna get some (crap) for the score, but we could have scored 100 if we wanted to."

OK, so I'm bored ;)
        Have to side with the Indiana guys on this one. I've seen some truly awful defenses in the PSAC over the years. In recent years I've seen Ship play bad games against some teams and still score 38-40 points. Ship's defense was nothing to write home about in 2019, and we got waxed a few times. I witnessed Ship's 65-32 win over Lock Haven that year where scoring was almost ridiculously easy. Ship's defense improved as the season went on this year, but Bagent and Co., aided by a couple of turnovers, still hung a 50-plus burger on the Raiders. When your team is down and you're facing clubs capable of putting up 35-40 point on playoff caliber teams, things can quickly get out of hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Must be a reoccuring theme with IUP/ESU.... i though Nation was always referring to big Frank Cignetti and not Curt?
          Nation likes to bring up a 34-0 game from 1991. This was one WarriorVoice mentioned a few pages back.
          http://www.indianagazette.com
          www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Have to side with the Indiana guys on this one. I've seen some truly awful defenses in the PSAC over the years. In recent years I've seen Ship play bad games against some teams and still score 38-40 points. Ship's defense was nothing to write home about in 2019, and we got waxed a few times. I witnessed Ship's 65-32 win over Lock Haven that year where scoring was almost ridiculously easy. Ship's defense improved as the season went on this year, but Bagent and Co., aided by a couple of turnovers, still hung a 50-plus burger on the Raiders. When your team is down and you're facing clubs capable of putting up 35-40 point on playoff caliber teams, things can quickly get out of hand.
            I've seen a few games over the years where the team on the bad end of a blowout keeps throwing the football to try to play catch-up, but they don't complete many passes. The consequence is the clock doesn't run much and the winning team gets more possessions. And with the losing team unable to make stops, the score quickly gets out of hand.

Comment

I've seen a few games over the years where the team on the bad end of a blowout keeps throwing the football to try to play catch-up, but they don't complete many passes. The consequence is the clock doesn't run much and the winning team gets more possessions. And with the losing team unable to make stops, the score quickly gets out of hand.
              See it monthly in basketball. The teams that love to press (most of them aren't very good at it) never come out of the press even when they are down 35 points. A poor press just gives up layup after layup on the other end. And, similarly, leads to quick baskets with very little time running off.

Clarion did it to IUP several years ago. IUP was up 40 and Clarion kept pressing. It got to 50 and the Clarion coach starts yelling across court that Joe was running it up. Joe yelled back to quit pressing and they'll quit scoring. One of the funnier moments at the KCAC. The Clarion coach left the court restrained yelling 'I'll get you'. He never did get his payback ... got canned a couple years later.

Comment

It's hilarious that a blowout game from 30 years ago still gets so much play on this board. It's almost the only thing I read about ESU on here.

Comment

Doubt Millersville would drop out before Lock Haven unless you know something I don't. Just my opinion. Outside of a couple of outlier years, Lock Haven has never really been very competitive in football/.
                  The way Ms. Taylor engineered it all those years. She left it unfixable.

Comment

Comment

dumb response deleted... nevermind.

Comment

• Getting my IUP/ESU blowouts mixed up, my apologies. Will try to do better lol

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

See it monthly in basketball. The teams that love to press (most of them aren't very good at it) never come out of the press even when they are down 35 points. A poor press just gives up layup after layup on the other end. And, similarly, leads to quick baskets with very little time running off.

Clarion did it to IUP several years ago. IUP was up 40 and Clarion kept pressing. It got to 50 and the Clarion coach starts yelling across court that Joe was running it up. Joe yelled back to quit pressing and they'll quit scoring. One of the funnier moments at the KCAC. The Clarion coach left the court restrained yelling 'I'll get you'. He never did get his payback ... got canned a couple years later.
                          Probably the only time you should be pressing the other team is if you have clearly superior personnel or if you've recruited for the press by gathering a horde of interchangeable players to wear the opponent down. Wilson at East Stroud takes the latter approach and has done pretty well with it. The problem I see with his approach is that his platooning sometimes disrupts his offensive flow. A lead against East Stroud is never safe until the last few minutes of a game, but on the other hand you're never really out of it against them either as their style can blow a lead in quick fashion.

The Ship-IUP title game of 2019 was an example of the weakness of pressing. Ship, unusually, kept missing key free throws in the second half and got behind enough that they had no choice but to press, which had little chance of working against a team of IUP's caliber. The IUP lead simply widened.

Comment

Nation likes to bring up a 34-0 game from 1991. This was one WarriorVoice mentioned a few pages back.

Comment

I don't know how you read my post and interpreted it that way.

Cignetti didn't run up the score. East Stroudsburg couldn't make a stop.

The starters were out early. Heck, the backup fullback was getting carries at the end, and IUP fullbacks average one carry per decade. What was IUP to do? Take a knee in the third quarter?
                              You said yourself the Coach all but admitted to it, so that's how I interpreted it.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

You said yourself the Coach all but admitted to it, so that's how I interpreted it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X