Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DeepBallEnjoyer View Post

He would be so much further ahead even if he just waited until they line up to pick a receiver. At least then he could see pre-snap coverage and safety positioning. The competition at his last school must have been absolutely abysmal for him to be lauded as some sort of superstar coming to IUP. He is not making subtle mistakes. How did no one question him coming in? Is he genuinely just playing poorly this year? I'm stumped thinking how he could either regress this much, or pull off such a con. Either answer seems implausible.

I can't imagine how Laney must feel. Probably embarrassing having to run check downs every play knowing that your QB will NEVER look at you. You gotta feel bad for the kid. All the receivers are probably annoyed knowing that it's up to chance whether they'll get the ball thrown at them, rather than how they run their route and the amount of separation they get from their man.
    Laney has a next level body for the TE position. If I were a D1 program snooping around, I'd throw a scholarship his way for sure. He's criminally underused and should be a focal point of an offense at this level. 2 catches for 19 yards since the first game? Ridiculous.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeepBallEnjoyer View Post

He would be so much further ahead even if he just waited until they line up to pick a receiver. At least then he could see pre-snap coverage and safety positioning. The competition at his last school must have been absolutely abysmal for him to be lauded as some sort of superstar coming to IUP. He is not making subtle mistakes. How did no one question him coming in? Is he genuinely just playing poorly this year? I'm stumped thinking how he could either regress this much, or pull off such a con. Either answer seems implausible.

I can't imagine how Laney must feel. Probably embarrassing having to run check downs every play knowing that your QB will NEVER look at you. You gotta feel bad for the kid. All the receivers are probably annoyed knowing that it's up to chance whether they'll get the ball thrown at them, rather than how they run their route and the amount of separation they get from their man.
      To be honest, I recall over the summer people (albeit very, very few) noted that he wasn't a good passer. And if the OL didn't perform, which those same people expressed concerns over, it may not come together.

Generally guys on their 3rd school... There's a reason why.

There was a vocal group that said how he was the best transfer QB on the market at the FCS and D2 level. That was dangled out there and people ran with it. And here we are.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

If they weren't physically and mentally ready then YOU as the coach are to blame! Tort never has his teams ready for big games!!! It's a rivalry game, how are you not ready?????????

Fire Tort campaign begins!!
        What bothers me is how are these players not ready to play mentally? I agree that this is a clear issue in the Tort era, but how can guys just not be amped up to go into that type of environment. What type of guys are they recruiting that need a coach, any coach, to get them excited to play the game of football?

But I agree, a lot of this is on Tort.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

What bothers me is how are these players not ready to play mentally? I agree that this is a clear issue in the Tort era, but how can guys just not be amped up to go into that type of environment. What type of guys are they recruiting that need a coach, any coach, to get them excited to play the game of football?

But I agree, a lot of this is on Tort.
          I'm not buying what the Timeout is selling. That's not freaking a White Out in Happy Valley. It's a big high school stadium with 9,000 people in it. It's not deafening loud. You can hear the snap count.

If being booed hurt their feelings, shame on them.

The 2021 team ate that atmosphere up in that same
          stadium. This team looked extremely timid.

As for Laney, he won them the Ashland game. His reward? He's been sent one-way to Siberia. His role is a total travesty.

I think we're four quarters away from basketball season. Unfortunately that doesn't start until Nov. 10. Hope I'm wrong. I think IUP will need to score at least 24 points to have a shot. I'm not sure they can get that many.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

To be honest, I recall over the summer people (albeit very, very few) noted that he wasn't a good passer. And if the OL didn't perform, which those same people expressed concerns over, it may not come together.

Generally guys on their 3rd school... There's a reason why.

There was a vocal group that said how he was the best transfer QB on the market at the FCS and D2 level. That was dangled out there and people ran with it. And here we are.
            Everybody was excited. Why wouldn't we have been? IUP beat out some big schools for Karst. Hindsight is easy. They missed. I think it's that simple.They miss in Rd 1 of the draft every year on QBs.

In Karst's defense, this isn't the best offensive system for his skill set. IUP's line has been awful and he's under attack constantly. There hasn't been much of a running game. The OL transfers were successful elsewhere but aren't playing well here.

I think it just looks like a flop of a season. They got one more chance.

Comment

• It’s 2013, 2018 and 2021 all over again.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                It’s 2013, 2018 and 2021 all over again.
                6-0 rest of way and need help

Unlikely but possible

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Unlikely but possible
                  Yeah...the vibe for that isn't there.

This program just seems to drop a turd the year after a big season...excluding 2021 which was just a bad year on it's own.

Comment

Unlikely but possible
                    Anything less than 5-1 would be alarming. You guys might be playing the 5 worst teams in the conference after the Coal bowl.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Anything less than 5-1 would be alarming. You guys might be playing the 5 worst teams in the conference after the Coal bowl.
                      Getting to 1-0 is the key item. They lose Saturday and the bottom will fall out.

The ray of hope is IUP hasn't played even close to a complete game this year. They may not, either.

Comment

Everybody was excited. Why wouldn't we have been? IUP beat out some big schools for Karst. Hindsight is easy. They missed. I think it's that simple.They miss in Rd 1 of the draft every year on QBs.

In Karst's defense, this isn't the best offensive system for his skill set. IUP's line has been awful and he's under attack constantly. There hasn't been much of a running game. The OL transfers were successful elsewhere but aren't playing well here.

I think it just looks like a flop of a season. They got one more chance.
                        I do think a lot of what ails Karst starts with the offensive line and an inability to run the ball. I still don’t think he’s great, but he’d be better with some help.

Overall there were a lot of new parts put in the engine and there just wasn’t enough time to get running on all cylinders. The most troubling part is it’s hard to find where this team has improved since Week 1. I’m having trouble finding a reasonable path to victory on Saturday.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I do think a lot of what ails Karst starts with the offensive line and an inability to run the ball. I still don’t think he’s great, but he’d be better with some help.

Overall there were a lot of new parts put in the engine and there just wasn’t enough time to get running on all cylinders. The most troubling part is it’s hard to find where this team has improved since Week 1. I’m having trouble finding a reasonable path to victory on Saturday.

Very tricky game to bet.

Questions:

1) Which IUP defense will show up -- the one that suffocated Ashland and held ESU to 13 points ... or, the one that got torched for 28 straight by SRU ?

2) How much will Cal's pass rush disrupt a below-average IUP OL? And, in turn, how much will that disrupt the struggling IUP QB?

3) The Vulcans are going to score. They put up 30+ on both Kutztown and Shepherd. Can IUP hold them in the 17-21 range?

4) Can IUP limit the big plays against a very 'big play' Cal offense? The Hawks gave up 6-7 such plays a week ago.

5) While the Vulcans are putting up points, they've also given up points against the two good teams they've played -- Kutztown and Shephered put up, average, 32 points.

6) IUP's offense has been dismal in its past two games against good defenses (12 points against ESU and 21 points against SRU). Keep in mind, 15 of IUP's 21 points against SRU came in the final quarter -- when the game was long over. In those two games, IUP scored (9) total points in the first half (3 against ESU and 6 against SRU). Can IUP avoid yet another terribly slow start?

7) Will IUP and Karst Hunter FINALLY realize they have an athletic, 6'6", 245 lbs TE who can run and catch passes? His absense may be the biggest of the many mind-blowing things surrounding this team. Remember this guy? He put up 100 yards in the Ashland game (which seems SO long ago.

To your point, adding it all up and based on the current circumstances, I agree it is difficult to find a reasonable path to victory. That said, IUP hasn't played (even close) to a complete game this year -- and, slumps do eventually end. I also think Hunter can have a big day on the ground as Cal blitzes so much he should be able to find some nice escape routes. Unfortunately, in the gambling world, the smart money would probably be going on the Viet Mon.

Comment

• "7) Will IUP and Karst Hunter FINALLY realize they have an athletic, 6'6", 245 lbs TE who can run and catch passes? His absense may be the biggest of the many mind-blowing things surrounding this team. Remember this guy? He put up 100 yards in the Ashland game (which seems SO long ago.

In addition to the TE, they have two great splits in Zenobile and Ridley. These guys should all hae multiple catches a game. I have to think it's a combined failure of the o-line and QB that they aren't more consistent in the passing game. At Ship we basically have Redd Douglas and a prayer and still managed to put up about 300 yards passing on Shepherd last week with a freshman QB. IUP should be killing it.

Comment

Very tricky game to bet.

Questions:

1) Which IUP defense will show up -- the one that suffocated Ashland and held ESU to 13 points ... or, the one that got torched for 28 straight by SRU ?

2) How much will Cal's pass rush disrupt a below-average IUP OL? And, in turn, how much will that disrupt the struggling IUP QB?

3) The Vulcans are going to score. They put up 30+ on both Kutztown and Shepherd. Can IUP hold them in the 17-21 range?

4) Can IUP limit the big plays against a very 'big play' Cal offense? The Hawks gave up 6-7 such plays a week ago.

5) While the Vulcans are putting up points, they've also given up points against the two good teams they've played -- Kutztown and Shephered put up, average, 32 points.

6) IUP's offense has been dismal in its past two games against good defenses (12 points against ESU and 21 points against SRU). Keep in mind, 15 of IUP's 21 points against SRU came in the final quarter -- when the game was long over. In those two games, IUP scored (9) total points in the first half (3 against ESU and 6 against SRU). Can IUP avoid yet another terribly slow start?

7) Will IUP and Karst Hunter FINALLY realize they have an athletic, 6'6", 245 lbs TE who can run and catch passes? His absense may be the biggest of the many mind-blowing things surrounding this team. Remember this guy? He put up 100 yards in the Ashland game (which seems SO long ago.

To your point, adding it all up and based on the current circumstances, I agree it is difficult to find a reasonable path to victory. That said, IUP hasn't played (even close) to a complete game this year -- and, slumps do eventually end. I also think Hunter can have a big day on the ground as Cal blitzes so much he should be able to find some nice escape routes. Unfortunately, in the gambling world, the smart money would probably be going on the Viet Mon.
                              You've got me really scared now. I think IUP will win this game because they have to.

Comment

• Interesting forecast for the Coal Bowl.

Kickoff should be around 53 to 55 degrees with occasional rain. The other big factor is wind around 15 to 17 mph.

Wind is a very key item in Miller Stadium, as it's typically a chute coming down the hill toward Eberly. Due to the landscape (and nothing blocking it), it feels much stronger than the 15 to 17 mph.

As we've seen so many times over the years on windy days at Miller, throwing and punting in to it is extremely difficult.

This will be a game that the big coin-toss decision is do you want the wind in quarters 1&4 or in quarters 2&3.

In the Regional Final last year, Tort wanted the wind to his advantage in the first quarter. IUP's offense then couldn't do a thing in quarters 2&3.

Cal's offense relies a lot around big plays in the passing game so Mother Nature may help IUP.

I still don't know what IUP's actual identity is on offense.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X