Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Finally got to read up on the Millersville imports. Tort really beat out some big-time programs for both of them -- especially Cox.
    Why are they leaving Millersville?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Not so good for Millersville.
      I'd say that's accurate. It sucks what this has turned into.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

https://millersvilleathletics.com/sp.../schedule/2023

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

There were numerous qualified imports last year who we talked about ad nauseum for months. Never materialized. They were good elsewhere. On this team they were 6-5.

Cox was a great player last year, but not at IUP. Be a great player at IUP and help turn 6-5 into a 10-win season. I'm a show me on the field here type of guy. IUP had a lot of problems last year and they have a lot players with a whole lot to prove next year.
          This is a message board. That's not going to change.

Comment

Most in the PSAC world think Tort is going to be pretty good next year. They are hopping on the bandwagon. Thankfully.

Comment

You realize Cox was a D2 first team All-American this past year at LB?

I'd say he's qualified.
              Playing devil's advocate kind of here... he piled up big stats on a 3-8 team that was dead last in the PSAC East division. Going to be a new defense to fit into and learn as well. Expectations will be high for him, but sometimes the fit just isn't the same.

Then again, he could absolutely thrive around the increased talent surrounding him and be an absolute baller. Both scenarios I would say are legitimately 50/50.

I recall Vaugh Wallace playing pretty well as a DE at Clarion and getting quite a bit of hype coming over to help the IUP pass rush...he had 2 sacks on the year and seemed like a rotational pc instead.

Comment

• Records aren't going to improve if the best players continually jump ship after a bad year. But that's the way it is now. It's getting to be like the weather — if you don't like your current team, just wait and you'll have an entirely different one in short order.

Comment

• So why do we want them?

Comment

It's good to see some level of a refresh occurring. Until they step on the field and perform though, I'm just rolling with any new imports being a bunch of nameless, gray faces. I'm not concerned about accolades, past accomplishments, or message board hype. Show us on the field.
                    I’m right there with you.

Comment

So why do we want them?
                      Same reason everybody else did.

Comment

I’m right there with you.
                        Tort can have any transfer ready to go within 3 years.

It's something else to talk about aside from timeouts and prison fencing.

Comment

There were numerous qualified imports last year who we talked about ad nauseum for months. Never materialized. They were good elsewhere. On this team they were 6-5.

Cox was a great player last year, but not at IUP. Be a great player at IUP and help turn 6-5 into a 10-win season. I'm a show me on the field here type of guy. IUP had a lot of problems last year and they have a lot players with a whole lot to prove next year.
                          The only difference making type player that transferred to IUP ahead of last season based on actual results was Quinn Zinobile.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Playing devil's advocate kind of here... he piled up big stats on a 3-8 team that was dead last in the PSAC East division. Going to be a new defense to fit into and learn as well. Expectations will be high for him, but sometimes the fit just isn't the same.

Then again, he could absolutely thrive around the increased talent surrounding him and be an absolute baller. Both scenarios I would say are legitimately 50/50.

I recall Vaugh Wallace playing pretty well as a DE at Clarion and getting quite a bit of hype coming over to help the IUP pass rush...he had 2 sacks on the year and seemed like a rotational pc instead.
                            I think you just summed up the risk/reward of transfers. I think that goes for all levels. Some work out and some just don’t for whatever reason. Some are just so talented that it’s inevitable they’ll improve the team they go to, but for ever one of those there are 100 that either don’t move the needle or who were better for the team they left.

In DII, if you bring in 8 kids and 2-3 of them end up meeting or exceeding expectations, that’s pretty good. On the other hand, if only one of them works out a lot of people end up pretty disappointed.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I think you just summed up the risk/reward of transfers. I think that goes for all levels. Some work out and some just don’t for whatever reason. Some are just so talented that it’s inevitable they’ll improve the team they go to, but for ever one of those there are 100 that either don’t move the needle or who were better for the team they left.

In DII, if you bring in 8 kids and 2-3 of them end up meeting or exceeding expectations, that’s pretty good. On the other hand, if only one of them works out a lot of people end up pretty disappointed.
                              The days of the mega-star transfers are long gone.

​Now it's mostly D2 to D2 imports. The days of Frank having a Big East second (and third) chance roster is long gone.

That said, a player like Cox is reason for excitement (if nothing else). Has he played a snap at IUP? Not yet. But, I sure like his past (PSAC) credentials. He's well worth the risk for a one-year guy.

Comment

The days of the mega-star transfers are long gone.

​Now it's mostly D2 to D2 imports. The days of Frank having a Big East second (and third) chance roster is long gone.

That said, a player like Cox is reason for excitement (if nothing else). Has he played a snap at IUP? Not yet. But, I sure like his past (PSAC) credentials. He's well worth the risk for a one-year guy.
                                They need to find another one yet. They’re razor thin at that position unless there are some studs in the program we haven’t seen yet. Cox is a good fit based on the need alone so let’s hope it works out.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X