Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Don't get me started on that loser! She single handed destroyed athletics at Edinboro.
    She just defended herself in an openly corrupt and outrageously unfair and vindictive system. Keep in mind that I am a huge D1 Wrestling fan. But what Bruce did has no place in one of our state universities or in college athletics, in general. He and Edinboro University were lucky to escape from that situation in as good of shape as they did.

It was outrageously and blatantly wrong. People want to talk about PSU and Joe Paterno - who knew what and when did they know it, etc. But, for sure, there were a lot of enablers within the Edinboro University community. It came tumbling down but some still rationalize about it today.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

She just defended herself in an openly corrupt and outrageously unfair and vindictive system. Keep in mind that I am a huge D1 Wrestling fan. But what Bruce did has no place in one of our state universities or in college athletics, in general. He and Edinboro University were lucky to escape from that situation in as good of shape as they did.

It was outrageously and blatantly wrong. People want to talk about PSU and Joe Paterno - who knew what and when did they know it, etc. But, for sure, there were a lot of enablers within the Edinboro University community. It came tumbling down but some still rationalize about it today.
      OK, I honestly haven't heard what happened with Baumgartner and Edinboro. And none of the profiles or recent articles on him mention it. What happened?

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

OK, I honestly haven't heard what happened with Baumgartner and Edinboro. And none of the profiles or recent articles on him mention it. What happened?
        https://sportslitigationalert.com/womens-volleyball-coach-settles-lawsuit-with-pennsylvania-school-over-pay-disparity/

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/cr...00/6607993007/

Essentially, Baumgartner tilted the resources in the athletic department so far toward wrestling, then when she took action, he defied the Edinboro President and the PASSHE administration by not implementing the recommended corrections. Then, he retaliated against the VB coach in an unheard of way, repeatedly. You aren't going to get away with what he did and, in the end, he didn't. The high profile D1 wrestling coach bailed out before it all hit the fan and took his top assistant with him.

No, you won't read about it in his bio.
        Last edited by iupgroundhog; 12-03-2023, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Again, with you 100%. Unfortunately in my opinion, Bruce tarnished his reputation at the university with this fiasco. But Bruce got one of those PASSHE Shuffle jobs - reassigned to AVP for some fundraising thing and played work for a couple years until he hit full pension and retired. He still lives in Edinboro.

Very few rationalize it. Like elsewhere in life, most of those who do either haven't read the report or refuse to accept its findings. But it also worsened a lot of relations within that building. Her office is just a few doors down from Bruce's.

You're right that it did expose some behind the scenes things Bruce did to prop up wrestling, which only exposed other wounds from this ordeal. What a shame.

Comment

• Looks like Whitmyre Hall is a goner too and throwing the Honors Colkege into a flux. What is Bow Tie doing?

https://www.thepenn.org/opinion/it-s...nOrdb5hfyKc3oQ

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
              Looks like Whitmyre Hall is a goner too and throwing the Honors Colkege into a flux. What is Bow Tie doing?

https://www.thepenn.org/opinion/it-s...nOrdb5hfyKc3oQ
              If the biggest obstacle is replicating the physical space that seems ridiculous to me.

Not to mention how bizarre it is the way they describe the social atmosphere of Whitmyre because most of us lived in places like that in college.

Comment

If the biggest obstacle is replicating the physical space that seems ridiculous to me.

Not to mention how bizarre it is the way they describe the social atmosphere of Whitmyre because most of us lived in places like that in college.
                I was in there and it was more like a maze and the restroom shower rooms were pretty outdated in the 80’s.

Comment

The Penn article is pretty one sided. I get that some of the early Honor's college students are nostalgic for the space, they did renovate it so some of the old lounges and other larger rooms were made into classroom/seminar space, and the students could go to class in the building they lived in, avoiding the huge required freshman classes. It was also a time when some dorms were partying zoos. Since then there was an update of plumbing and HVAC that shut Whytmire down several semesters about 5ish years ago. It also was not used during covid, since there was no way to isolate students. The quality of the HC has become lower because of the DEI trends, and the fact that GenZ students don't like to do extra work - so a good premed student doesn't want the special english classes that are more work. They are only interested if they think the HC designation would be immediately beneficial, and most don't see it. many of the perks of being at whitmyre have been taken away by budget considerations as well. The new dorms have spaces that are designated for academics, and spaces that are available, and alot of the HC students liked not being set apart from other students. I suppose some liked the specialness of having your own building but there is just not the funding to keep it going, especially considering it is not all that popular anymore. Of course there's always someone who likes things the old way.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

The Penn article is pretty one sided. I get that some of the early Honor's college students are nostalgic for the space, they did renovate it so some of the old lounges and other larger rooms were made into classroom/seminar space, and the students could go to class in the building they lived in, avoiding the huge required freshman classes. It was also a time when some dorms were partying zoos. Since then there was an update of plumbing and HVAC that shut Whytmire down several semesters about 5ish years ago. It also was not used during covid, since there was no way to isolate students. The quality of the HC has become lower because of the DEI trends, and the fact that GenZ students don't like to do extra work - so a good premed student doesn't want the special english classes that are more work. They are only interested if they think the HC designation would be immediately beneficial, and most don't see it. many of the perks of being at whitmyre have been taken away by budget considerations as well. The new dorms have spaces that are designated for academics, and spaces that are available, and alot of the HC students liked not being set apart from other students. I suppose some liked the specialness of having your own building but there is just not the funding to keep it going, especially considering it is not all that popular anymore. Of course there's always someone who likes things the old way.
                    I also read that as not really telling both sides of the story. That said, it's nice to see The Penn take a stand (and not be a PR machine).

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I also read that as not really telling both sides of the story. That said, it's nice to see The Penn take a stand (and not be a PR machine).
                      Yes, and I have some sympathy for the point of view, They could have created a more specific HC space when they built the northern suites, but things like that are very territorial, and it was not done.

Comment

• I believe this demolition is from the state's insistence that each PASSHE campus demolish unused or outdated spaces that are unable to be properly updated. If that's accurate, then its more about the structure than the CHC, which I'm not exactly seeing on the same level as Mr. Cook. IUP was a leader in establishing an honors college and Cook's huge gift still sets it apart, but nearly every PASSHE school and most regional comprehensive universities like IUP have an honors college or at least a robust honors program that operates similarly.

The anecdotal remarks in the article are true - students don't want to live the old cell block style dorms, no matter how fun the community amenities inside. They'll reluctantly live there for price or if they have to (some housing waivers only cover traditional halls), but at places where students are stoked to attend (upper third of the college hierarchy) nobody wants to share a room or live in a small cinder block space with community bathrooms. We're now several generations beyond young people being okay with communal shower facilities. SRU houses their HC in one of their newer suite style buildings. Just saying.

Comment

• The IUP Rugby team won the National Championship for their level.

Its something.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                            The IUP Rugby team won the National Championship for their level.

Its something.
                            Club sport. No offense to them, but its an intramural travel team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Club sport. No offense to them, but its an intramural travel team.
                              It is, but they have a nice following.

IUP's top hockey team does, too. In fact, aside from Tort and basketball, hockey probably has the next biggest fan base at IUP. Those are fun, exciting games.

The other varsity sports at IUP typically draw about 30 fans (if that).

Comment

• "We're now several generations beyond young people being okay with communal shower facilities. SRU houses their HC in one of their newer suite style buildings. Just saying."

That's all well and good, but it's also one of several reasons why those young people are paying the high tuitions they complain about at many schools. Better facilities, food, etc. = higher cost.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X