Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

At most schools 55-65% of students are women and the gap is growing. That's the big problem for people who don't care for gender equity.
    Maybe cutting mens sports is one of the reasons for the growing gap......

IUP not having a men's soccer team is stupid. Well we had one when I was there but it was a Title IX casualty.

Also....do the same percentage of the female population participate in sports as men? I'm asking a question....I don't know that answer but I am assuming that men are more oriented to play competitive sports than women.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I'm not arguing with you but how can one NOT get accepted at IUP right now? They must have near 1.0 GPA's for Christ sake. The acceptance rate right now is off the charts.

Is there more to the story (arrests, etc.?)
      There is more to a transfer than grades. Past school incidents, criminal record and a college that thinks they are Vanderbilt regarding credentials.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

There is more to a transfer than grades. Past school incidents, criminal record and a college that thinks they are Vanderbilt regarding credentials.
        Transfers do get complicated, especially with more focused private schools that don't have many liberal arts core classes required for all students.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

The definition of 'incidents' likely is complex. Criminal record I agree take a pass. Not worth the risk. Sure, some work out. Many don't -- and it then makes the program look bad. Not to mention, depending on the severity, can put the rest of campus in danger.

Tying up limited funds in a flight risk is too risky. There's no return on investment if they are arrested again, etc. I'm sure people will point to Max Redfield, who was a banner citizen at IUP.

Maybe my opinion on this is flawed because I was here during the Frank years (and the even worse Gary Edwards era). Frank had many, well, not banner citizens. Most Monday mornings were nerve-wracking waiting for the police docket to come out.

That said, something like underage drinking is quite different than robbery, sexual assault, b&e, etc.

For the most part, Tort has had very few issues off the field in his tenure. His teams have been pretty well-behaved.

Driscoll does support athletics but he doesn't take much crap.

Comment

The definition of 'incidents' likely is complex. Criminal record I agree take a pass. Not worth the risk. Sure, some work out. Many don't -- and it then makes the program look bad. Not to mention, depending on the severity, can put the rest of campus in danger.

Tying up limited funds in a flight risk is too risky. There's no return on investment if they are arrested again, etc. I'm sure people will point to Max Redfield, who was a banner citizen at IUP.

Maybe my opinion on this is flawed because I was here during the Frank years (and the even worse Gary Edwards era). Frank had many, well, not banner citizens. Most Monday mornings were nerve-wracking waiting for the police docket to come out.

That said, something like underage drinking is quite different than robbery, sexual assault, b&e, etc.

For the most part, Tort has had very few issues off the field in his tenure. His teams have been pretty well-behaved.

Driscoll does support athletics but he doesn't take much crap.
            This is what everyone should want. Generally goes the same for how presidents feel about Greek Life. Everyone loves the good - but no amount of good makes people put up with the bad, especially when the bad hits the media or courtroom.

PASSHE schools generally can't deny admission for something like a criminal record. You can be charged with attempted murder and they can only admit based on what's on the application. However, sometimes things come through the transfer process that the player never disclosed to the coach and aren't discoverable through Google or court records sites. Federal regulations on sexual assault when the accused is a college student allows the alleged victim to have the school adjudicate rather than go through the lengthy criminal process. If so, that doesn't always show on a Google search or in court records if there aren't police charges.

Comment

This is what everyone should want. Generally goes the same for how presidents feel about Greek Life. Everyone loves the good - but no amount of good makes people put up with the bad, especially when the bad hits the media or courtroom.

PASSHE schools generally can't deny admission for something like a criminal record. You can be charged with attempted murder and they can only admit based on what's on the application. However, sometimes things come through the transfer process that the player never disclosed to the coach and aren't discoverable through Google or court records sites. Federal regulations on sexual assault when the accused is a college student allows the alleged victim to have the school adjudicate rather than go through the lengthy criminal process. If so, that doesn't always show on a Google search or in court records if there aren't police charges.
              It's very hard to hide anything today (providing teams are actually doing their due diligence). Of course, you wonder how often that happens.

If the staff digs anything up of substance I'd prefer they just don't make any offers. These guys can help for a couple weeks but if they are arrested in Week 4 it just leaves you a giant hole. I also wonder how good these transfers with rap sheets are inside the locker room.

With our limited scholarships, tying up a full ride (or even a half) on a big risk is, well, a big risk.

Again, to preface, I'm talking about guys who have committed serious crimes.

Years ago IUP basketball tossed a star player (all-conference level) for an extremely serious incident. A couple years later he landed at Slippery Rock. He was banned from the IUP campus. SRU had to file a court order so he could play against IUP at the KCAC. It amazes me to this day SRU even recruited him based on his criminal background.
              ​​​​​​

Comment

It's very hard to hide anything today (providing teams are actually doing their due diligence). Of course, you wonder how often that happens.

If the staff digs anything up of substance I'd prefer they just don't make any offers. These guys can help for a couple weeks but if they are arrested in Week 4 it just leaves you a giant hole. I also wonder how good these transfers with rap sheets are inside the locker room.

With our limited scholarships, tying up a full ride (or even a half) on a big risk is, well, a big risk.

Years ago IUP basketball tossed a star player (all-conference level) for an extremely serious incident. A couple years later he landed at Slippery Rock. He was banned from the IUP campus. SRU had to file a court order so he could play against IUP at the KCAC. It amazes me to this day SRU even recruited him based on his criminal background.
                ​​​​​​
                Can tell you that it would never happen now. Current SRU AD has incredible integrity and puts up with zero BS. She's the model AD for this conference.

Comment

​​​​​​
                  Wow. I never heard that part of the story. He was booted from IUP before I got to school there, but I heard the story and knew of it. I recall the crowd being brutal on him in that raucous PSAC Championship Game.

Comment

Can tell you that it would never happen now. Current SRU AD has incredible integrity and puts up with zero BS. She's the model AD for this conference.
                    Agreed. And it really shouldn't amaze anyone how that was permitted to happen when you look at who was the head coach at that time, and how the leadership of the department was that of an ostrich who stuck their head in the sand.

Comment

• Cignetti goes to Indiana

Comment

• Originally posted by Rams Fan View Post
                        Cignetti goes to Indiana
                        Fake Indiana!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rams Fan View Post
                          Cignetti goes to Indiana
                          Curious to see if he takes OC Mike Shanahan with him (he's linked to the same job at Pitt).

Shanahan was a solid WR at Pitt (is from Pittsburgh) and coached at IUP with Curt.

Comment

Curious to see if he takes OC Mike Shanahan with him (he's linked to the same job at Pitt).

Shanahan was a solid WR at Pitt (is from Pittsburgh) and coached at IUP with Curt.
                            Now that he’s going to make some coin he can make a donation to Torts.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Now that he’s going to make some coin he can make a donation to Torts.
                              Regarding 2024, Tort said in the IG:

"If IUP was a stock, I'd start buying right now."

They are in good shape. There's only one known Portal exit. Tort just may bounce back pretty quickly.

He's in on some very interesting transfers right now. Some of them have already played at Miller Stadium.

Comment

Regarding 2024, Tort said in the IG:

"If IUP was a stock, I'd start buying right now."

They are in good shape. There's only one known Portal exit. Tort just may bounce back pretty quickly.

He's in on some very interesting transfers right now. Some of them have already played at Miller Stadium.
                                That’s nice but Curt should still fill the coffers…create some Big Guy Endowed Scholarships!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X