Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
    "We're now several generations beyond young people being okay with communal shower facilities. SRU houses their HC in one of their newer suite style buildings. Just saying."

That's all well and good, but it's also one of several reasons why those young people are paying the high tuitions they complain about at many schools. Better facilities, food, etc. = higher cost.
    True, but that’s where the market is, so as a school looking for potential students, they need to fill that void. If students want those amenities, and you don’t have them, good luck. These schools aren’t Ivy League or big state schools that can offer the academic prestige, big time sports, or huge endowment. I get the need to be affordable (trust me, I’ll be paying off student loans for a long time), but that’s what is required to get (and keep) students.

Comment

"We're now several generations beyond young people being okay with communal shower facilities. SRU houses their HC in one of their newer suite style buildings. Just saying."

That's all well and good, but it's also one of several reasons why those young people are paying the high tuitions they complain about at many schools. Better facilities, food, etc. = higher cost.
      I overheard a conversation at the grocery store the other day, a mom was talking to the kid at the register about HCs - her kid had been accepted to both IUP and SRU HC, The kid at the register went to SRU. It hinged on the difference where IUP required students to live in the HC dorm, where SRU offers floor for the HC students, but doesn't require students to live there. Cleary mom preferred having the option. The days where being away from other rowdy students was a perk seem to be gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

I overheard a conversation at the grocery store the other day, a mom was talking to the kid at the register about HCs - her kid had been accepted to both IUP and SRU HC, The kid at the register went to SRU. It hinged on the difference where IUP required students to live in the HC dorm, where SRU offers floor for the HC students, but doesn't require students to live there. Cleary mom preferred having the option. The days where being away from other rowdy students was a perk seem to be gone.
        I'd want the choice, too. The IUP HC always seemed like a cult.
        ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Club sport. No offense to them, but it’s an intramural travel team.
          They still won a title and we are going to brag about it because it’s been a crap fall so far for IUP sports.

:-)

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

How in the hell does a Gym Teacher school have an Honors College?

Is that where they teach Advanced Dodge Ball?

:-)

Comment

Living on campus now doubles the cost. Living off campus is probably a 50-75% increase from tuition depending on where & how.

"Kids these days" almost never share a bedroom before college, so the idea of living in a small concrete block cell with another human 4 feet away makes their skin crawl. They'll reluctantly accept it but then they lack the interpersonal skills to handle sharing space and handle common conflict of two people sharing a bedroom. So they want the 1 kid per bedroom and 2-4 kids per bathroom setup but complain about the price. Its the same for food. Everyone wants restaurant quality food in a grab & go or a la carte setup instead of the all you can eat slop. Choosing the more expensive model then complaining about the higher cost.

Comment

• What's up in the interesting world of transfers ?

Seems quiet in the Field House.

I heard some potential incoming names about 10 days ago but haven't seen that any actually signed.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  What's up in the interesting world of transfers ?

I heard some potential incoming names about 10 days ago but haven't seen that any actually signed.
                  We are still pretty early in the process for signings with the exception of the pre-determined moves (saw Rock signed a couple already). Lots of visits happening right now, I think you’ll start to see the mid year commitments pick up mid next week and then heavy the 2 weeks after.

Comment

• Originally posted by CUlater View Post

We are still pretty early in the process for signings with the exception of the pre-determined moves (saw Rock signed a couple already). Lots of visits happening right now, I think you’ll start to see the mid year commitments pick up mid next week and then heavy the 2 weeks after.
                    What positions??

Comment

• Originally posted by SRU 88 View Post

What positions??
                      They got a LB/DB from Pitt and maybe a DL from Millersville?

Comment

• Originally posted by CUlater View Post

Add to it many of the better D2 transfers available are still waiting for Clemson and Alabama to call.

Once that realization comes to be we'll start to see much more activity.

Comment

Add to it many of the better D2 transfers available are still waiting for Clemson and Alabama to call.

Once that realization comes to be we'll start to see much more activity.
                          Most of our recruiting is currently happening through the old February signing period. Maybe I'm not remembering this right. Every decent player in high school still is waiting for the D1 offer before considering this level.

Comment

• Originally posted by SRU 88 View Post

What positions??
                            I believe the list is OL from Gannon, Grad OL from Cal, OL from Kent ST, DL from Pitt....impressive list for the first 2 weeks of free agency lol

Comment

What's up in the interesting world of transfers ?

Coach Tort just landed a first team all-American according to twitter world. Hopefully a couple more before the semester starts. It is interesting that Tort has made the playoffs every other year so hopefully that trend will stick.

Comment

• Linebacker Garrett Cox and defensive lineman Quadir Jacobs. Obviously Cox is the headliner given his accolades and IUP’s desperate need for linebackers. They need to go find another one somewhere because that position is a big hole to fill. It sounds like Jacobs is more of a project, but he’s big.

At the end of the day though I don’t care who they bring in because games aren’t won by announcing transfers or by the hype on this board. IUP was 6-5 last year with unacceptable losses to ESU, Gannon, and SETON HILL! They also failed to at least split the rivalry games with Slippery Rock and Cal.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X