Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Regardless of all the minutiae, the goal is to win games.

Being honest, I think it's the lack of focus in the 'minutiae' that is killing this team.

I don't think things are buttoned up. You're seeing it when they play equal (or better) teams. The lack of attention to detail gets masked against the Mercyhurst types. This edition is far from a well-oiled machine right now. At the very least, the lack of attention to details cost them the ESU game. It wasn't the refs. It wasn't the scoreboard operator. It was an entire coaching staff not sweating the details (knowing how many timeouts they didn't have).

Regardless, there's a playoff game at Miller Stadium in 6 days. Real simple: lose and the season is over. The Vulcans are going to be licking their chops to play this wounded animal. I really have no idea what to expect from IUP this Saturday.

Cal is going to come after Karst balls to the wall all day long. The film is out. It's obvious the more you pressure him the more picks he's going to throw. Can this IUP OL put together a big game and disrupt the Vulcans pass rush? Cal runs perhaps the most complex blitz packages in the league -- all day long. The way IUP's OL has played this year ... well, that's a scary notion.

Tort has his work cut out for him this week. If they win, there's (in theory) a pretty clear path. The two hardest remaining games after Cal (Gannon and Edinboro) are both at Miller. Road trips to Seton Hill and Clarion shouldn't be an issue.

They're either going to do the old 'burn the tape' and let's move on, or, yesterday is going to linger. We'll find out soon enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Tort has his work cut out for him this week. If they win, there's (in theory) a pretty clear path. The two hardest remaining games after Cal (Gannon and Edinboro) are both at Miller. Road trips to Seton Hill and Clarion shouldn't be an issue.

They're either going to do the old 'burn the tape' and let's move on, or, yesterday is going to linger. We'll find out soon enough.
      I get the feeling that there is not much leadership on the team. The best teams always had a few guys that seemed to help their less disciplined teammates focus

Comment

I think IUP is already in big trouble in terms of a playoff spot, even if they win out. Let’s assume the PSAC gets four spots. Slippery Rock is very likely getting one of them. Kutztown is very likely to get one even with a loss in the State Game. That leaves Shepherd and East Stroudsburg in the East. If Shepherd beats ESU, that gives ESU two losses but a head-to-head win over IUP. Of course, a lot of other scenarios could play out. If Cal loses to IUP but beats Slippery Rock, it’s going to take a tiebreaker to decide who wins the West. I’m not sure what the tiebreakers are but Slippery Rock would still be in with just the one loss.

A lot of crazy things can happen but my point is even if IUP were to win out, they’re still not a lock for a playoff spot. Another loss and they’re most certainly done. If I had to predict the four PSAC teams that are going, I’d say Slippery Rock, Kutztown, East Stroudsburg, and Shepherd. Cal still controls their own destiny and with wins over IUP and Slippery Rock, they’re in. A win over IUP but a loss to Slippery Rock and they still have a great shot to get in because of their win over Kutztown.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I think IUP is already in big trouble in terms of a playoff spot, even if they win out. Let’s assume the PSAC gets four spots. Slippery Rock is very likely getting one of them. Kutztown is very likely to get one even with a loss in the State Game. That leaves Shepherd and East Stroudsburg in the East. If Shepherd beats ESU, that gives ESU two losses but a head-to-head win over IUP. Of course, a lot of other scenarios could play out. If Cal loses to IUP but beats Slippery Rock, it’s going to take a tiebreaker to decide who wins the West. I’m not sure what the tiebreakers are but Slippery Rock would still be in with just the one loss.

A lot of crazy things can happen but my point is even if IUP were to win out, they’re still not a lock for a playoff spot. Another loss and they’re most certainly done. If I had to predict the four PSAC teams that are going, I’d say Slippery Rock, Kutztown, East Stroudsburg, and Shepherd. Cal still controls their own destiny and with wins over IUP and Slippery Rock, they’re in. A win over IUP but a loss to Slippery Rock and they still have a great shot to get in because of their win over Kutztown.
          I'd agree, but Tort has to dangle the carrot as long as possible. All they can control is to win out (and that's a huge stretch in itself).

Never know if a Gannon type can pull an upset. They lose Saturday and things may get real ugly.

Comment

• They are not worthy to even be considered a potential playoff team.

Pee Sack might only get three slots..each of the other three conferences have the potential to put up at least 2 teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

I get the feeling that there is not much leadership on the team. The best teams always had a few guys that seemed to help their less disciplined teammates focus
              I was thinking the same thing. Also figuring into this is that a lot of the transfers, including Hunter, were not here until a very late date, so the team-building aspect isn't so strong and players don't have the opportunity to develop the leadership within the ranks because of the short window.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I was thinking the same thing when I was out hiking in the desert today. As we've seen most years, though, teams lose down the stretch. If IUP gets past Cal, they should cruise the rest of the way. We will probably need help from other teams, though.

Comment

• IUP needs to win this Saturday or all of these scenarios will be meaningless.

Comment

• IUP should have to win Saturday to save Tort's job.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                      IUP should have to win Saturday to save Tort's job.
                      We are back to the "slow start" mentality. Throughout his tenure IUP has had so many "slow starts", usually only to regroup at halftime allowing the superior talent to come back and win (most of the time). But it really calls into question the scouting and game plan approach.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

We are back to the "slow start" mentality. Throughout his tenure IUP has had so many "slow starts", usually only to regroup at halftime allowing the superior talent to come back and win (most of the time). But it really calls into question the scouting and game plan approach.
                        In (5) games thus far, IUP has scored 3 pts on its first possession (Mercyhurst). The others were three punts and a pick.

In its two biggest games, IUP gave up TDs on the other teams' first possession (ESU, SRU). Obviously they gave up (4) TDs in a row to start the SRU game -- and, they all looked easy.

So, yes, against good competition, it certainly appears Tort's 'slow starts' are back.

Cal will come out gang-busters Saturday. Blood in the water. Wounded animal. We'll see all we need to know from IUP in the first five minutes. Are they going to be juiced up and embarrassed or are they going to lay down? Five minutes will be all it takes to answer that question.

Comment

• I think you guys are forgetting the main problem here. “Karst is overrated” at the end of the day the QB is not playing good. If your QB turns the ball over and is not playing well it will be hard to win games. Simple as that.

Comment

• A guy I was talking to at the game on Saturday was saying don’t be surprised if Tort left for Akron, wasn't sure if he is talking head coach or assistant under Joe Moorhead who is the HC at Akron right now. If I am correct it says tort used to Coach at Akron in the game day program. Anyone know why he would Tort would take a job at Akron? I looked up Akron’s record on the web and says they are 1-4 and lost to Buffalo this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP Crimson Hawk View Post
                              A guy I was talking to at the game on Saturday was saying don’t be surprised if Tort left for Akron, wasn't sure if he is talking head coach or assistant under Joe Moorhead who is the HC at Akron right now. If I am correct it says tort used to Coach at Akron in the game day program. Anyone know why he would Tort would take a job at Akron? I looked up Akron’s record on the web and says they are 1-4 and lost to Buffalo this weekend.
                              Call me crazy, but I wouldn't hire a guy who doesn't know how to count to 3. Maybe that's just me though.

Comment

In (5) games thus far, IUP has scored 3 pts on its first possession (Mercyhurst). The others were three punts and a pick.

In its two biggest games, IUP gave up TDs on the other teams' first possession (ESU, SRU). Obviously they gave up (4) TDs in a row to start the SRU game -- and, they all looked easy.

So, yes, against good competition, it certainly appears Tort's 'slow starts' are back.

Cal will come out gang-busters Saturday. Blood in the water. Wounded animal. We'll see all we need to know from IUP in the first five minutes. Are they going to be juiced up and embarrassed or are they going to lay down? Five minutes will be all it takes to answer that question.
                                It's never good to get off to a slow start against top-end competition. IUP could get away with that against a Ship team that was struggling offensively, but Slippery Rock was another matter. Pause to catch a breath, and you're behind 3-4 touchdowns. By the same token, Penn State better not repeat their starts against West Virginia and Northwestern when they play OSU and Michigan.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X