Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I think its a little bit of both. You played 5 good opponents in that stretch, and your offense is pretty vanilla. Most of the time, you are significantly better than the opponent and it doesn't matter. In these tougher match ups, you can be neutralized. But that is what happens in those types of games.

Teams don't usually hit their season averages in bigger games, that's just football.
    Good points here and above.

For me, it starts with the O-line and this is a pretty bad one at the moment. The running stats for two of the three games last year are quite good regardless of how they got them. The last Shepherd game was a mess from the start and IUP had recently lost its feature back and the Rams had time to prepare, unlike when Stewart went down in the first meeting. What I’m saying is, last year’s O-line was quite a bit better than this one. I’m also not so sure that IUP has a true great back right now. I think Stewart was it when healthy, but he’s still recovering and surely not 100%. I think all of the backs are pretty good, but they’ll underachieve without more help upfront.

It’s nice that you can go back and watch the games these days and dissect things you don’t necessarily catch in person. This O-line is 1) missing assignments, 2) slow to recognize defensive rush schemes, and maybe most concerning, 3) getting beat physically. It’s likely that #3 is happening because of #1 and #2. They aren’t close to being a cohesive unit yet, but to be fair they’ve only had two games together and both were against stout defensive fronts. I still hold out hope that they can figure it out against Ship and Hurst in the coming weeks. If they can’t run the ball on those two defenses, it’s going to be a long fall.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      The IUP offense (mainly rushing attack) is struggling. The numbers don't lie.

In the past (5) games (dating back to last year), IUP has scored an average of 18.4 ppg.

Granted, this current stretch of (5) games has been against tough competition (Shephered twice, Ashland twice and East Stroudsburg). IUP's past (5) games have all been at Miller Stadium. In two of IUP's last three home games, the Crimson Hawks have been held to dismal 13- and 12-point performances.

IUP rushing yards past (5) games:
      Opponent Carries Net Yards Average
      Shepherd (win) 35 184 5.25
      Ashland (win) 45 172 3.82
      Shepherd (loss) 36 39 1.08
      Ashland (win) 44 144 3.27
      East Stroudsburg (loss) 36 52 1.44
      In this year's Ashland game, 65 of the 144 yards came on two plays. Remove those two plays, and the average yards per carry in that game drops to 1.88.

So, the question looming large is why is this once-vaunted rushing attack no longer able to run the ball?

I've heard a lot of theories this week.
      - Most are blaming the OL getting next to no push
      - Is Tort shuffling RBs too often and none of them are getting in to a rythem?
      - Is Larry Wilson's run play-callling the problem?
      - Are the RBs getting to (minimal) holes too slowly?

Again, the past (5) games have been against very strong defenses. But, IUP's offense isn't exactly a slouch, either. Something isn't adding up.

My theory is the rushing attack has become extremely predictable -- almost to a fault. When armchair QBs can sit in the stands and call every first down play, well, that certainly means the educated team across the field can do the same.
      I can’t speak for last year’s games but I do think it’s worth noting that some of this years poor YPC is because of all the sacks that Karst is taking (nine through two games). Not that your team’s RBs are lighting the world on fire as they’re all averaging less than 4 YPC, just that the average is being skewed to look even worse by NCAA score keeping rules. The bigger problem in my eyes is that none of them have found the end zone yet.

Comment

• "If they can’t run the ball on those two defenses, it’s going to be a long fall."

Their size might help bring IUP some rushing success against Ship, but the Raiders' front seven actually isn't too bad. What is likely to be a lot bigger problem for the Raiders is IUP's talented receivers going up against an exploitable Ship secondary along with Ship's own inability to run the football.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
          "If they can’t run the ball on those two defenses, it’s going to be a long fall."

Their size might help bring IUP some rushing success against Ship, but the Raiders' front seven actually isn't too bad. What is likely to be a lot bigger problem for the Raiders is IUP's talented receivers going up against an exploitable Ship secondary along with Ship's own inability to run the football.
          Good to know. If that’s true, I give Ship more than a puncher’s chance on Saturday. We haven’t talked much about it, but IUP’s defense is really good though and that might be difficult to overcome. If I’m Ship, I’m looking for a similar game to the formula that worked for ESU where they find a way to stay in it for four quarters and take their chances in the end.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Good to know. If that’s true, I give Ship more than a puncher’s chance on Saturday. We haven’t talked much about it, but IUP’s defense is really good though and that might be difficult to overcome. If I’m Ship, I’m looking for a similar game to the formula that worked for ESU where they find a way to stay in it for four quarters and take their chances in the end.
            I'd absolutely be chomping at the bit if I was coaching Shippensburg. IUP has a documented history of disaster in hangover-type games.

If Ship's front is solid they can absolutely hang around. I'd bring heat all day. It will backfire some but I'd bring it all four quarters. IUP's OL looked lost and confused against ESU.

That said, I think even on a bad day IUP will score 24 points this Saturday. We'll see if the Raiders can get in the 20s. I have my doubts.

Then again, I sat through the Edinboro game in 2021 and the end of last Saturday so I'm done taking anything for granted.

I kind of have a hunch ESU woke up the sleeping dog. We'll find out soon enough.

I will add this: Tort better pray for a fast start. Worst thing possible coming off Timeout/Titanic would be a slow start and the sulking starting.

I do wonder if we'll see some new faces on the OL. May be time to shake some shiz up.

Comment

I'd absolutely be chomping at the bit if I was coaching Shippensburg. IUP has a documented history of disaster in hangover-type games.

If Ship's front is solid they can absolutely hang around. I'd bring heat all day. It will backfire some but I'd bring it all four quarters. IUP's OL looked lost and confused against ESU.

That said, I think even on a bad day IUP will score 24 points this Saturday. We'll see if the Raiders can get in the 20s. I have my doubts.

Then again, I sat through the Edinboro game in 2021 and the end of last Saturday so I'm done taking anything for granted.

I kind of have a hunch ESU woke up the sleeping dog. We'll find out soon enough.

I will add this: Tort better pray for a fast start. Worst thing possible coming off Timeout/Titanic would be a slow start and the sulking starting.

I do wonder if we'll see some new faces on the OL. May be time to shake some shiz up.
              I just don't see Ship's pass defense holding up against the caliber of receiver IUP can put on the field. And the Raiders have shown little ability to move the ball on the ground so far, meaning the IUP pass defense should be on top of things.

Comment

I think its a little bit of both. You played 5 good opponents in that stretch, and your offense is pretty vanilla. Most of the time, you are significantly better than the opponent and it doesn't matter. In these tougher match ups, you can be neutralized. But that is what happens in those types of games.

Teams don't usually hit their season averages in bigger games, that's just football.

You're talkin' ball. To go further inside the game, if you'd really study IUP's offense, it is extremely redundant (and, vanilla). It's biggest weakness, my opinion, is it's extremely predictable. If you look at their play charts under Larry Wilson (OC), you will quickly identify very consistent patterns (there isn't much guessing by the defense - put it that way). Their running game, in particular, is about as creative as white paint. Their collection of speed backs are used as if they are built like Jerome Bettis. They are constantly run up the middle and quickly swallowed. Last year this often worked because their OL was so strong. This year, however, the OL looks lost, confused, a step slow, and, at times, overpowered. For the size, experience and pedigree of this unit, this is extremely alarming.

Now, teams still have to stop all their talented skill players. That's hard to do, especially in the passing game. The caveat has been Karst has been under heavy fire all season. Through two games (sacked 9 times), it's clear he's not the 'gunslinger' Sexton was -- he tends to hold the ball perhaps a second too long where Sexton had a rocket arm and would make some crazy throws/completions. Sexton also had tremendously better protection.

I don't recall (correct me if I'm wrong) that Sexton actually took a real hit until almost November last year. Sure, he was probably knocked down, but an actual hit ... I don't remember it. Karst has been hit more in two games than Sexton was all season.

What makes Karst so dangerous is his ability to run. However, his best run of the year was a broken play on 3rd-and-17 against Ashland. I was shocked they didn't run him more against ESU. They certainly had opportunities (rollout at end of game I think he walks in to end zone). That said, I don't think they are overly confident (yet) in the players behind him so they may have to be more hesitant.

Big picture, IUP has opened with two of the better teams in the region. We have to keep that in mind. Tough task (tougher than many thought) with many new OL starters and a new QB. Easier days are coming. Looking back, this team would have benefited greatly from a tune-up game.

Ashland is 0-2 but lost a nail-biter at IUP and hung all day with Ferris State. They are a good. ESU is probably a Top 1 or 2 defense in SR1.

Tort has the talent. He needs to tighten some things up. IUP is going to be hard to score on all year. They aren't going to need to score 30+ to win games. But, they certainly have some weaknesses right now on film that every opponent is going to try and exploit. If/when IUP figures out how to run the ball, they will be hard to beat. Big 'if' of course.

Comment

You're talkin' ball. To go further inside the game, if you'd really study IUP's offense, it is extremely redundant (and, vanilla). It's biggest weakness, my opinion, is it's extremely predictable. If you look at their play charts under Larry Wilson (OC), you will quickly identify very consistent patterns (there isn't much guessing by the defense - put it that way). Their running game, in particular, is about as creative as white paint. Their collection of speed backs are used as if they are built like Jerome Bettis. They are constantly run up the middle and quickly swallowed. Last year this often worked because their OL was so strong. This year, however, the OL looks lost, confused, a step slow, and, at times, overpowered. For the size, experience and pedigree of this unit, this is extremely alarming.

Now, teams still have to stop all their talented skill players. That's hard to do, especially in the passing game. The caveat has been Karst has been under heavy fire all season. Through two games (sacked 9 times), it's clear he's not the 'gunslinger' Sexton was -- he tends to hold the ball perhaps a second too long where Sexton had a rocket arm and would make some crazy throws/completions. Sexton also had tremendously better protection.

I don't recall (correct me if I'm wrong) that Sexton actually took a real hit until almost November last year. Sure, he was probably knocked down, but an actual hit ... I don't remember it. Karst has been hit more in two games than Sexton was all season.

What makes Karst so dangerous is his ability to run. However, his best run of the year was a broken play on 3rd-and-17 against Ashland. I was shocked they didn't run him more against ESU. They certainly had opportunities (rollout at end of game I think he walks in to end zone). That said, I don't think they are overly confident (yet) in the players behind him so they may have to be more hesitant.

Big picture, IUP has opened with two of the better teams in the region. We have to keep that in mind. Tough task (tougher than many thought) with many new OL starters and a new QB. Easier days are coming. Looking back, this team would have benefited greatly from a tune-up game.

Ashland is 0-2 but lost a nail-biter at IUP and hung all day with Ferris State. They are a good. ESU is probably a Top 1 or 2 defense in SR1.

Tort has the talent. He needs to tighten some things up. IUP is going to be hard to score on all year. They aren't going to need to score 30+ to win games. But, they certainly have some weaknesses right now on film that every opponent is going to try and exploit. If/when IUP figures out how to run the ball, they will be hard to beat. Big 'if' of course.
                  It still amazes me how many observers underestimate the importance of the o-line (obviously not you). You can have a very creditable offense with league-average backs and receivers if you have a strong offensive line, but with a lousy o-line even the best players at the skill positions won't save you. I often go back to the rookie year of Walter Payton, who played his first season behind an awful Bears o-line and barely averaged 3 yards per carry. If you watched Payton play, you saw the greatness there because he often bounced off two or three guys to gain those three yards, often taking hits in the backfield. Ship, for whatever reasons, has a very young o-line for the second year in a row (opened with two freshmen and a soph on the line against Newberry), and the results have been predictable. If Coach Mac can't start to get some continuity in that area, the Raiders will lack a running game, and our QBs will continue to run for their lives (already got McCracken injured again this year).

Comment

• The IUP schedule sets up nicely for them to regroup and work out a few kinks before being challenged again. Ship might not win 3 games this year, and Mercyhurst isn't very good either.

Captain obvious here, but the Rock game is probably a season maker/breaker. If they lose, I think they mentally fold and miss the playoffs. If they win, I think that will catapult them to all their goals that they had at the beginning of the season and get back to being the regional favorite for SR1. Really think it's as simple as that.

Comment

The IUP schedule sets up nicely for them to regroup and work out a few kinks before being challenged again. Ship might not win 3 games this year, and Mercyhurst isn't very good either.

Captain obvious here, but the Rock game is probably a season maker/breaker. If they lose, I think they mentally fold and miss the playoffs. If they win, I think that will catapult them to all their goals that they had at the beginning of the season and get back to being the regional favorite for SR1. Really think it's as simple as that.
                      I agree. I think they need to get back to the one-game-at-a-time mentality they had last year, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post
                        The only thing that wasn’t called ESU had 12 guys on the field during last play. Way to go psac refs, joke league.
                        Learn rules. Free substitution when the ref has his arms out like he did...

Comment

• Apparently there was an "investigation" after the game Saturday that extended into the week. The head official was in contact with some of the participants, trying to get their perspectives on what happened. I suppose IUP needed some sort of explanation as to why they lost a game when they didn't score more points than the opponent...

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I agree. I think they need to get back to the one-game-at-a-time mentality they had last year, though.
                            We're going to learn the fate of this season tomorrow. I don't care who they are playing. You'll be able to see in warm-ups tomorrow what mental state this team is in after last week.

That wasn't just simply 'one loss' as Tort has been saying. That loss (the 'how') has the potential to be a season-wrecker. We're going to see what mentality this program has tomorrow. Let's hope it was the wake-up call the entire program (coaches included) needed.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
                              Apparently there was an "investigation" after the game Saturday that extended into the week. The head official was in contact with some of the participants, trying to get their perspectives on what happened. I suppose IUP needed some sort of explanation as to why they lost a game when they didn't score more points than the opponent...
                              The investigation should've been why clock wasn't stopped when IUP called the time out. It should've then IUP assessed a 15 yard penalty.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

The investigation should've been why clock wasn't stopped when IUP called the time out. It should've then IUP assessed a 15 yard penalty.
                                and a 10 second runoff...game would have been over.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X