Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by goalieman View Post

They will probably post a link to view the Ashland game on the IUP football website main page but it is really already on the website ...... if you go to the IUP Football website and click on Schedule the first game listed is obviously Ashland and in the bottom corner of the Ashland "box" on the schedule are 3 small icons (the first looks like a little computer screen, the second a sound icon, and the third are 3 small vertical lines all followed by the word History ...... if you click on the computer-like icon, the webcast comes up to watch the game, the second icon is for the radio broadcast, the 3rd for game stats, and the History gives a brief history of IUP vs Ashland games.
    Thanks. I saw that and that's usually where I go to log on but it wasn't there when I made the post. There seems to be a lot of excitement building for this game and this season. Buckle up. Should be an interesting ride.

Comment

• It's in the schedule on the PSAC streaming app and Roku channel.

Comment

• Torts hawk talk is on YouTube.

Comment

• Odd to say but there's actually a buzz in town about tomorrow night. It's a playoff vibe.

I think they easily break 5,500. Granted, IUP can't count and will announce 1,400. This is going to be a big crowd.

Six years ago -- almost to the day -- IUP hit a walk-off, 47-yard FG to beat Ashland. Wild moment in Miller Stadium history. That kick, of course, gets remembered, but prior to it IUP blocked a FG and then Lenny Williams quickly drove IUP in to (somewhat) range for the winning attempt. That heavy-pressure kick would have probably been good from 55 yards.

In last year's win against Ashland, recall a blocked punt was returned to the house for an IUP TD. I fully suspect special teams, one way or another, will again play a huge role tomorrow.

Comment

• Irvin Charles made the Jets' 53-man roster.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              Irvin Charles made the Jets' 53-man roster.
              That’s great! From top to bottom he looked the part of one of the best receivers we ever saw in Indiana but he would inexplicably drop wide open passes at times (See Coal Bowl). Maybe it was just rust after being away for football for a while after transferring from Penn State. People may not remember he was a 4 star recruit out of New Jersey. Here’s a good article about his college football journey from the Jets: https://jetswire.usatoday.com/lists/...hings-to-know/

Comment

Irvin Charles made the Jets' 53-man roster.
                That is awesome! Joey Fisher from Shepherd got cut from the 49ers, but picked up to the practice squad for the Steelers. Good week for former PSAC players.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

That’s great! From top to bottom he looked the part of one of the best receivers we ever saw in Indiana but he would inexplicably drop wide open passes at times (See Coal Bowl). Maybe it was just rust after being away for football for a while after transferring from Penn State. People may not remember he was a 4 star recruit out of New Jersey. Here’s a good article about his college football journey from the Jets: https://jetswire.usatoday.com/lists/...hings-to-know/

The fact he ever suited up at IUP is a story in itself. Remember he couldn't play his first year. Then COVID hit. So, he stayed committed to IUP for a long time before he ever put a helmet on.

We sure saw the flashes of brilliance from him that season.

He had 7 grabs for 143 yards and 2 TDs in that Cal debacle -- and had he not dropped 'that' one he'd have been over 200 yards with 3 TDs (and IUP would have went up 28 and game over). Obviously, IUP was still up 21 points when he dropped that ball. So, that loss doesn't get pinned on him. That would have just broke Cal's soul and put any comeback out of reach.

At SRU, he had 3 TDs and was just unstoppable in the red zone (and also dropped a 4th TD). Lutz said after the game they had absolutely no answer for him inside the 20 yard line.

On punt coverage, he was just unfair at the gunner spot.

That 2021 team is still an enigma of sorts. It got the split with Kutztown and Shepherd to start the season (with a backup QB). They blew SRU out on the road. They were blowing Cal out (were). Of course, the Cal game snowballed, and the following week (without Irvin) they lost at home to a dreadful Edinboro team ... in perhaps the worst home loss in decades. That team was too good not to make the playoffs. But, it really shows how a football season can turn, literally, in a split second. Harry Football was a lot better QB than I think he gets credit for on here. It was a shame he had to miss those first two games. He had the huge win at SRU and also led the big comeback at West Chester.

I'd guess that '21 team gets used as the example to current teams. Lose sight of things for a minute and it unravels in a hurry.

Interesting side note. In that infamous Cal comeback, a Vulcans WR completely smoked IUP -- 9 receptions for 153 yards and two TDs. His name? Derek Lockhart.

I'm ready to see some more Derek Lockhart Miller Stadium Magic.

This time with a better helmet.

Comment

• Picture perfect weather in Indiana today. 70° and sunny at kickoff.

Comment

• From the Gazette:

Younger will start at RB. Tort is saying Houser and Stewart will be the backups. No mention of Randy Washington (he sat the final scrimmage but I believe is practicing).

I suspect Younger and Houser will get close to equal touches and Parker Gregg will get his share. I don't expect to see Stewart play (he will dress).

Very interested to see how Larry Wilson starts the game. While it is Karst's first game at IUP, there's plenty of film on him. It's not going to be any surprise he can fly with the ball. Curious to see -- X's and O's -- how Ashland's D approaches the IUP offense.

Ashland's QB is going to look like Big Ben out there (physically). He's listed at 6'6" and 263 lbs. I question the weight. He's certainly tall but he doesn't look anywhere near 263 lbs.

The IUP OL vs the Ashland DL ... if you want to see some real big bodies colliding, try and watch that match-up a couple times.

Finally, tonight is LONG-awaited IUP debut of DL Logan Danielson. I think you'll see it was worth the wait.

If there is one nervous dude entering this game, it's likely the OL assigned to tangle with Tyrone Fowler Jr. That will not be a fun experience.

Comment

From the Gazette:

Younger will start at RB. Tort is saying Houser and Stewart will be the backups. No mention of Randy Washington (he sat the final scrimmage but I believe is practicing).

I suspect Younger and Houser will get close to equal touches and Parker Gregg will get his share. I don't expect to see Stewart play (he will dress).

Very interested to see how Larry Wilson starts the game. While it is Karst's first game at IUP, there's plenty of film on him. It's not going to be any surprise he can fly with the ball. Curious to see -- X's and O's -- how Ashland's D approaches the IUP offense.

Ashland's QB is going to look like Big Ben out there (physically). He's listed at 6'6" and 263 lbs. I question the weight. He's certainly tall but he doesn't look anywhere near 263 lbs.

The IUP OL vs the Ashland DL ... if you want to see some real big bodies colliding, try and watch that match-up a couple times.

Finally, tonight is LONG-awaited IUP debut of DL Logan Danielson. I think you'll see it was worth the wait.

If there is one nervous dude entering this game, it's likely the OL assigned to tangle with Tyrone Fowler Jr. That will not be a fun experience.
                        It will be interesting to see if IUP's DE's are faster than Ashland's 6'6" QB.

Comment

The fact he ever suited up at IUP is a story in itself. Remember he couldn't play his first year. Then COVID hit. So, he stayed committed to IUP for a long time before he ever put a helmet on.

We sure saw the flashes of brilliance from him that season.

He had 7 grabs for 143 yards and 2 TDs in that Cal debacle -- and had he not dropped 'that' one he'd have been over 200 yards with 3 TDs (and IUP would have went up 28 and game over). Obviously, IUP was still up 21 points when he dropped that ball. So, that loss doesn't get pinned on him. That would have just broke Cal's soul and put any comeback out of reach.

At SRU, he had 3 TDs and was just unstoppable in the red zone (and also dropped a 4th TD). Lutz said after the game they had absolutely no answer for him inside the 20 yard line.

On punt coverage, he was just unfair at the gunner spot.

That 2021 team is still an enigma of sorts. It got the split with Kutztown and Shepherd to start the season (with a backup QB). They blew SRU out on the road. They were blowing Cal out (were). Of course, the Cal game snowballed, and the following week (without Irvin) they lost at home to a dreadful Edinboro team ... in perhaps the worst home loss in decades. That team was too good not to make the playoffs. But, it really shows how a football season can turn, literally, in a split second. Harry Football was a lot better QB than I think he gets credit for on here. It was a shame he had to miss those first two games. He had the huge win at SRU and also led the big comeback at West Chester.

I'd guess that '21 team gets used as the example to current teams. Lose sight of things for a minute and it unravels in a hurry.

Interesting side note. In that infamous Cal comeback, a Vulcans WR completely smoked IUP -- 9 receptions for 153 yards and two TDs. His name? Derek Lockhart.

I'm ready to see some more Derek Lockhart Miller Stadium Magic.

This time with a better helmet.
                          …and a much better school.

Comment

• Parking lots are open and starting to fill....

Comment

• For students, these young guys are pretty prepared on the announce team.

Comment

• Very nice drive for the first points.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X