Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

The University gives out complementary section C tickets, so you get the most visitors there, people not really there for the game. I'd imagine they were giving out tickets to Band parents for this one, to sort a way to promote the band. Band parents are always a large part of the crowd. Funny, players parents are usually in section B. I've heard some interesting stories there. Of ten you have to explain to people they are in your seat. the last few years I've seen people actually giving attitutde for being asked to move out of someones paid for seat (there's lots of other seats around) . But the kicker was when I was on the Visitors side, many years ago, in a game against CW Post. one of the Post parents realized his kid wasn't starting, and called up someone in admin at Post to see why and to complain about it.
    Miller -- and especially the KCAC -- needs to enforce seating. It's rediculous to have to toss people from your seats every freaking game.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
      That was certainly a weird game. Special teams gaffs on both sides. Some great flashes. Some opportunities to get a lot better. It had the feel of an opener. Ashland is a really good program and finding a way to navigate some, at times, choppy waters in a season opener is a good sign. Being 1-0 this morning is much better than being 0-1. They don't ask how at the end of the year, just how many. Those two programs are about as evenly matched as you can really get.

The defense played a phenomenal football game. That secondary is tough as nails. Sat near EyeOfTheHawk last night, and he pointed out at halftime that Ashland had 66 yards of total offense in the first half. I felt like IUP's D was playing well in that first half, but I guess I didn't catch just how well they were playing. In fact, the way things had gone in that first half, I felt like they were lucky to be up 14-7. The special teams fiasco just overshadowed so much for me watching. Felt like Ashland was getting a ton of breaks and making some good fortune. But when you peeled back the layers on the onion, IUP was dictating so much on the defensive side of the field and that really proved to be a big factor.

Stating the obvious here, but special teams has to get better. That was an absolute disaster. I suppose the silver lining is that it can't get any worse than that. They dodged a huge bullet considering that against a good team, that didn't result in an 0-1 start. I'll add... I thought last year in that playoff game that Ashland using their QB to punt and was just a one-time thing because of an injury or something. But the more and more I watched that last night, the more I kind of liked that. It's a unique strategy I suppose. And it gives a lot of versatility in what you can do in certain spots on the field, and it probably keeps a defense/special teams unit honest and limits the opportunity for a big return. I have no idea why Ashland ended up going for it near midfield that one time on a 4th down, but I guess they had a look they liked. There's a risk to that approach (IUP blocked one in that playoff game last year), but that QB last night got off a couple real nice punts.

I think IUP ran it well in the 2nd half last night. For as rough as the OL looked at times, you could tell that they were leaning on Ashland some and starting to impose their will and chop wood some. Pass protection, in my opinion, was pretty ugly. That needs cleaned up. Give some credit to the Ashland front as that's a talented group. But I thought there were passing plays where all 5 guys were getting torched on the OL. Like others have said though, I suspect that will get better as the year moves on.

It's interesting others brought up Ridley as well. Because I kept thinking to myself last night that he wasn't getting any touches. With the riches they have out at WR, I do agree that's a story to watch. Keeping guys happy and "fed" at that position is a real thing. Maybe not as much of a thing at this level, but it's there. Unfortunately, you can only put so many of them on the field at a time and there's only one ball. I liked Hunter enough. I'm not ready to anoint him as the Johnny Football of Indiana, but he looked decent. He made a couple nice throws. He made a couple that were not. That big run in the 4th quarter was impressive. Lenny Williams was a scrambler and was quick. The way he put his foot in the ground and took off last night was different from what we saw with Lenny, in my opinion. I know the college game runs these QBs all over the place now, but I do worry about the number of hits he'll take.

Great to be back at IUP last night. Was a fantastic crowd. Night games make it more fun for everyone. Attendance and atmosphere always seem to prove that correct. Section C though, as so many have said before, is like a funeral crowd. The old timer behind my friend and I complained about everything (the music, the play calling, the setting sun in his eyes to the west of the stadium, the offensive line, my friend standing to stretch at halftime, etc. - I'll stop now).

Excited to see how this team can grow and get better. Saw somebody mention Tort is 12-5 against Top 25 teams. That's an impressive number.

I'm not ready to dive too deep in to the Ridley item just yet.

He and Lockhart had one touch each. Lockhart was open late for a score and Karst just missed him.

I'd guess each week a different one of the three could take over. And, I fully suspect Cole Laney keeps racking up big games. He is so big and fast for a TE at this level. If they can let Karst not have to run for his life, it's going to be extremely difficult to cover all these big bodies.

Zinobile has incredible hands and footwork. Add that big body and speed ... he's a nightmare. There's a reason Tort recruited him three times. He's a physical force at the WR position. Your average 5'10" DBs are really going to struggle with him.

I suspect a battle this weekend. ESU has some serious dudes on defense. IUP's OL needs to take a big step this week. They have to establish the run better. Once that happens, Karst can go bonkers.

​​

Comment

• Tort made a comment that his punter didn't put eye black on before the game and simply lost the first snap in the sun.

For those there, the sun was a pain for IUP in the first quarter.

One thing I missed (couldn't hear because of the band) was the coin toss. IUP got the ball first. Does anybody know if IUP won the toss and took the ball (or did Ashland win and defer)? I'd also assume Tort wouldn't have wanted to face the sun on offense in the first quarter but they did.

Minor item but with a 7pm start the sun was only going to be a factor for one quarter.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I'm not ready to dive too deep in to the Ridley item just yet.

He and Lockhart had one touch each. Lockhart was open late for a score and Karst just missed him.

I'd guess each week a different one of the three could take over. And, I fully suspect Cole Laney keeps racking up big games. He is so big and fast for a TE at this level. If they can let Karst not have to run for his life, it's going to be extremely difficult to cover all these big bodies.

Zinobile has incredible hands and footwork. Add that big body and speed ... he's a nightmare. There's a reason Tort recruited him three times. He's a physical force at the WR position. Your average 5'10" DBs are really going to struggle with him.

I suspect a battle this weekend. ESU has some serious dudes on defense. IUP's OL needs to take a big step this week. They have to establish the run better. Once that happens, Karst can go bonkers.

​​
          I expect a slug fest. They probably thought they had IUP beaten last year..and they almost did. So they have something to prove..this is no gimmie. The only difference from last year is IUP played a game this year to get those Week 1 bumps out of the way...last year that game was Week 1 for IUP but Week 2 for East Dennyburg.

As for the other WR's not getting touches...they'll eventually get them. Maybe it was good to get Zinoble the passes in Week 1..because you can unleash the other two when defenses are trying to keep him in check.

Last edited by IUPNation; 09-05-2023, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Tort made a comment that his punter didn't put eye black on before the game and simply lost the first snap in the sun.

For those there, the sun was a pain for IUP in the first quarter.

One thing I missed (couldn't hear because of the band) was the coin toss. IUP got the ball first. Does anybody know if IUP won the toss and took the ball (or did Ashland win and defer)? I'd also assume Tort wouldn't have wanted to face the sun on offense in the first quarter but they did.

Minor item but with a 7pm start the sun was only going to be a factor for one quarter.
            Ashland won the toss.

Comment

Miller -- and especially the KCAC -- needs to enforce seating. It's rediculous to have to toss people from your seats every freaking game.
              One major improvement at Miller is the PA announcer. He gives a good game day vibe. All they need now is music in between plays or on third down .

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

One major improvement at Miller is the PA announcer. He gives a good game day vibe. All they need now is music in between plays or on third down .
                I love Bill Otto, but, yes, it was time.

Back in the day Otto was the best around in football and basketball.

Otto should certainly be in the IUP HOF (if he isn't already).

​​​​​I can still here him saying "It's a hot dog night in Indiana."

Comment

​​​​​I can still hear him saying "It's a hot dog night in Indiana."
                  Sheetz needs to stop being so cheap and bring that back!

Comment

​​​​​I can still here him saying "It's a hot dog night in Indiana."
                    I remember back in the heyday I drug my dad to a game against West Chester. Before the game started Otto did his typical announcement about if IUP scores 30 points you get a free Sheetz hotdog, etc. We sat on the visiting side and a West Chester dad said, “You’re not going to need those tickets today.” Well, I think IUP had 30 before halftime and my dad leans over to the guy and says, “I’ll take that ticket if you don’t need it.” For whatever reason that’s one of my more memorable moments from back in the day. I do remember cashing in on some of those hotdogs too!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Sheetz needs to stop being so cheap and bring that back!
                      Sheetz corporate has lumped us all in with local high schools. They'll be a sponsor to be a good business community member but that's about it. The bigger financial commitments are all going to Beaver Stadium.

Comment

• Curious to see the RBs this Saturday.

Younger (14-70), Houser (8-45) and Stewart (5-14) each had a couple good runs despite not having a ton of room.

Younger was a split second from a long house call in the second half that would have put him over 100 yards.

I certainly had two things pegged wrong prior to the Ashland game. First, I never thought we'd have seen Dayjure Stewart. Second, I was expecting a healthy dosage of FB Parker Gregg. He didn't even get a carry.

I'd also assume Randy Washington will return this week. While untested at the collegiate level at RB (after starting here as a DB), he has legit speed and elusiveness to go with his 5'10", 200 lb frame.

Adam Houser looked tremendous in the second scrimmage and averaged nearly 6 yards per carry last week. You'd think he's certainly making a push for a heavier workload.

This will be a very big test for the struggling IUP OL. The East Stroudsburg DL, headlined by All-American Deshawn McCarthy, is no joke.

Many on the Pick 'Em board seem to think this will be a back-n-forth, high-scoring affair. I don't think that's going to be the case. These are two heavy-hitting, powerful defenses. My guess would be whichever teams scores 21 points will win. So, naturally then it will probably be 49-42.

Comment

Curious to see the RBs this Saturday.

Younger (14-70), Houser (8-45) and Stewart (5-14) each had a couple good runs despite not having a ton of room.

Younger was a split second from a long house call in the second half that would have put him over 100 yards.

I certainly had two things pegged wrong prior to the Ashland game. First, I never thought we'd have seen Dayjure Stewart. Second, I was expecting a healthy dosage of FB Parker Gregg. He didn't even get a carry.

I'd also assume Randy Washington will return this week. While untested at the collegiate level at RB (after starting here as a DB), he has legit speed and elusiveness to go with his 5'10", 200 lb frame.

Adam Houser looked tremendous in the second scrimmage and averaged nearly 6 yards per carry last week. You'd think he's certainly making a push for a heavier workload.

This will be a very big test for the struggling IUP OL. The East Stroudsburg DL, headlined by All-American Deshawn McCarthy, is no joke.

Many on the Pick 'Em board seem to think this will be a back-n-forth, high-scoring affair. I don't think that's going to be the case. These are two heavy-hitting, powerful defenses. My guess would be whichever teams scores 21 points will win. So, naturally then it will probably be 49-42.
                          Weather could play a factor in this as well. This matchup actually isn't all that different from Ashland last week. I'm guessing the difference again is the talent on the outside for IUP. Should be a good physical game, looking forward to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by CUlater View Post

Weather could play a factor in this as well. This matchup actually isn't all that different from Ashland last week. I'm guessing the difference again is the talent on the outside for IUP. Should be a good physical game, looking forward to it.
                            Can't take much out of ESU's game film last week matched up against a cream puff.

But, they could take a lot out of IUP's film.

Tort better have the special teams and OL fixed. I'm not sure those are as quick of fixes as he's leading on.

I fully expect IUP to commit at least one (probably two) stupid personal fouls tomorrow (as usual).

It's going to be a good one.

Comment

Can't take much out of ESU's game film last week matched up against a cream puff.

Tort better have the special teams and OL fixed. I'm not sure those are as quick of fixes as he's leading on.

I fully expect IUP to commit at least one (probably two) stupid personal fouls tomorrow (as usual).

I feel like 2 is a good over/under bet on IUP personal fouls. Throw in a chippy team like Gannon or a rival like California and its 3. 4 or 5 when they play Slippery Rock.

Comment

Yeah, I imagine his special teams should certainly get some attention. You don't expect to get a punt blocked more than a couple of times a season. Two in one game is not good.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X