Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrimmage was fairly smooth. No injuries.

Several didn't dress including Lockhart, Stewart and Randy Washington. All looked fine on the sidelines.

Karst ripped off some big runs, including (guessing) about a 70-yarder for a TD (untouched). He has serious wheels. It's very apparent they are going to have him in all sorts of things. Zinobile scored. Ridley and Houser played well. Houser looked very fast and elusive. I get the impression we won't be seeing the long balls from Karst like we saw last year. But, the weather perhaps dictated some calls. His major threat is going to be his very dangerous threat to take off.

No idea whom the backup QB will be. I actually thought Romano looked better (but not by much).

The FG kicker hit a pressure kick to end the two-minute drill (in a heavy rain).

I was not impressed with the kickoff team. Most kicks were only reaching about the 10 or 12 yard line. Punting wasn't great, either. Perhaps they just wanted returns.

IUP's OL in person is gigantic. Biggest I've ever seen at IUP. I thought they played well.

Only so much to take away. The 'ones' weren't playing the 'ones'. But, a lot of energy. Defense has a ton of speed.

Several good performances ... I just don't know all the names and numbers yet.

The play clock wasn't working for the first 45 minutes ... Kind of a tradition at Miller.

I'd say the D won the first half but the starting O won the second half.
    ​​

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Scrimmage was fairly smooth. No injuries.

Several didn't dress including Lockhart, Stewart and Randy Washington. All looked fine on the sidelines.

Karst ripped off some big runs, including (guessing) about a 70-yarder for a TD (untouched). He has serious wheels. It's very apparent they are going to have him in all sorts of things. Zinobile scored. Ridley and Houser played well. Houser looked very fast and elusive. I get the impression we won't be seeing the long balls from Karst like we saw last year. But, the weather perhaps dictated some calls. His major threat is going to be his very dangerous threat to take off.

No idea whom the backup QB will be. I actually thought Romano looked better (but not by much).

The FG kicker hit a pressure kick to end the two-minute drill (in a heavy rain).

I was not impressed with the kickoff team. Most kicks were only reaching about the 10 or 12 yard line. Punting wasn't great, either. Perhaps they just wanted returns.

IUP's OL in person is gigantic. Biggest I've ever seen at IUP. I thought they played well.

Only so much to take away. The 'ones' weren't playing the 'ones'. But, a lot of energy. Defense has a ton of speed.

The play clock wasn't working for the first 45 minutes ... Kind of a tradition at Miller.

​​
      It’s hard to tell much when a team is playing itself and it’s hard to watch in some ways but it at least gives you a sense of what kids are capable of. The offense did look better this week but as you pointed out, it was against the #2 defense. Big difference. The line looked more consistent, although there are still some things to iron out, which is expected. That said, I’m less concerned than I was a week ago.

QB is going to look quite a bit different this fall. Hunter and Sexton in no way resemble each other. Their style and physical ability are essentially opposites. Hunter will create problems with his legs leading to open receivers he can hit, whereas Sexton could squeeze passes into tight coverage and make D1 type throws. Hunter just isn’t that guy, but boy when he took off on the QB draw for the TD it got my attention. That’s the side you’re just not going to see in an intrasquad scrimmage. With all of IUP’s weapons at the skill positions, it’s going to be a nightmare to prepare for. Think Lenny Williams but much bigger and maybe faster.

The defense is going to be interesting. I love how the DB’s look. They’re fast and aggressive. It’s the best group I’ve seen since the Max Redfield year. Top to bottom this group might be stronger. The D line looked solid. As thoroughly discussed, they’re faster and more athletic than they are hole cloggers. If there’s one group that makes me a little nervous it’s linebackers. Obviously they have a stud in DiNunzio-Biss to be the anchor, but let’s hope he stays healthy. The other guys looked pretty good out there, especially Holmes, but they’re young and inexperienced after that. If one of the starters goes down, that combined with a smaller D line could be trouble against teams that can run the ball.

I’m not sure I’ve seen a good punt from Spitler yet of the times I’ve been down to watch. I’m not sure what’s going on there but he’s not making clean contact consistently. Andrassi on the other hand has a big leg and has looked very good. He could be a weapon. Kickoff depth, as mentioned, has been pretty average.

Side note: IUP is blessed with a solid coaching staff. In those settings you can really see things you miss on game day. Tort runs a very organized ship and seems to have a plan for everything. The position coaches are good communicators with a lot of energy and you never get the sense that there’s confusion about what needs to be done. I just wanted to point this out as once games start the conversation about coaches often leans toward the negative.

Comment

• IUP's practice last night had a bigger crowd than many West teams get for actual games lol. Seton Hill and Clarion would have been stoked with Tort's gate last night.

That should be a good sign for next week. If several hundred attended a practice, we should get a big gate next week.

​​​Of course it is a night game ... which always draw much better. What a concept.

Regarding Karst, he may be one of the fastest on the team. I agree most of his throws will come from the fear of him running and mis-direction. Total opposite of the recent QBs. As teams know he can make house calls with his legs, that will make D's real nervous. I'm not warm and fuzzy right now about either backup. But, they often were up against IUP's starting D.

Personally, I felt pretty good about the team after last night.

I'd love a kicker to bury kickoffs. It just eliminates a lot that can go bad - injuries, stupid LIT-AF flags, big returns, etc.

Hopefully the weather was causing the punter issues. Distance wasn't good.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

It’s hard to tell much when a team is playing itself and it’s hard to watch in some ways but it at least gives you a sense of what kids are capable of. The offense did look better this week but as you pointed out, it was against the #2 defense. Big difference. The line looked more consistent, although there are still some things to iron out, which is expected. That said, I’m less concerned than I was a week ago.

QB is going to look quite a bit different this fall. Hunter and Sexton in no way resemble each other. Their style and physical ability are essentially opposites. Hunter will create problems with his legs leading to open receivers he can hit, whereas Sexton could squeeze passes into tight coverage and make D1 type throws. Hunter just isn’t that guy, but boy when he took off on the QB draw for the TD it got my attention. That’s the side you’re just not going to see in an intrasquad scrimmage. With all of IUP’s weapons at the skill positions, it’s going to be a nightmare to prepare for. Think Lenny Williams but much bigger and maybe faster.

The defense is going to be interesting. I love how the DB’s look. They’re fast and aggressive. It’s the best group I’ve seen since the Max Redfield year. Top to bottom this group might be stronger. The D line looked solid. As thoroughly discussed, they’re faster and more athletic than they are hole cloggers. If there’s one group that makes me a little nervous it’s linebackers. Obviously they have a stud in DiNunzio-Biss to be the anchor, but let’s hope he stays healthy. The other guys looked pretty good out there, especially Holmes, but they’re young and inexperienced after that. If one of the starters goes down, that combined with a smaller D line could be trouble against teams that can run the ball.

I’m not sure I’ve seen a good punt from Spitler yet of the times I’ve been down to watch. I’m not sure what’s going on there but he’s not making clean contact consistently. Andrassi on the other hand has a big leg and has looked very good. He could be a weapon. Kickoff depth, as mentioned, has been pretty average.

Side note: IUP is blessed with a solid coaching staff. In those settings you can really see things you miss on game day. Tort runs a very organized ship and seems to have a plan for everything. The position coaches are good communicators with a lot of energy and you never get the sense that there’s confusion about what needs to be done. I just wanted to point this out as once games start the conversation about coaches often leans toward the negative.
          A lot of focus on the 70-yard run but was there a passing game at all in the scrimmage? The expectations are that IUP will come out with a strong passing attack. Are you just saying his style is different than Sexton's? Maybe they just didn't go to the air that much (due to the weather)?

Comment

• From the IG:
            https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...s-source=login

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

A lot of focus on the 70-yard run but was there a passing game at all in the scrimmage? The expectations are that IUP will come out with a strong passing attack. Are you just saying his style is different than Sexton's? Maybe they just didn't go to the air that much (due to the weather)?
              I was thinking the same. Would be ashame if they aren't able to use all that weaponry on the outside. Sounds like a first read and run type of qb.

Comment

• I hope Karst doesn't give up on routes to soon. He is an excellent runner but linebackers and safeties will certainly lay a lick when they get a chance. Karst needs to trust his receivers and lay it out for them to run under. Saw Tort telling him to put some air under it last night. Timing was still a little off, a quicker read of secondary play will equal production.

Comment

Scrimmage was fairly smooth. No injuries.

​​
                  Almost all the long balls thrown were from QB 2&3. Ridley and Zinobile ran a fair amount of deep routes with plenty of separation but got no attention from Karst. Seemed like he just didn't want to air it out. I hope it was weather based decision making but I'm worried he just doesn't have great vision of the field. His legs were impressive for sure though. He'll be a serious running threat with the increasingly prevalent RPO style offenses being run nowadays. I hope he starts getting the hang of his new offense as it'd be a shame if he's unable to use the incredible deep weapons at his disposal.

I agree with previous notions that punting is sub-optimal. Had one or two with decent hang time but the distance was not there at all.

Overall the defense looked pretty good and the offense was alright. Plenty of room for improvement, and I think it'll happen as there are some big pieces who are brand new to the team

Comment

• Originally posted by PSAC Fan View Post
                    I hope Karst doesn't give up on routes to soon. He is an excellent runner but linebackers and safeties will certainly lay a lick when they get a chance. Karst needs to trust his receivers and lay it out for them to run under. Saw Tort telling him to put some air under it last night. Timing was still a little off, a quicker read of secondary play will equal production.
                    Remember that was an advertised, open to the public, practice.

Not saying D2 teams scout but it's certainly possible a few wondering eyes could attend. Perhaps Tort didn't want to show too much.

Maybe that's grassy knoll thinking but who knows. If I was Ashland I'd have sent somebody to watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I'd agree the DBs are stacked. Recall we've been waiting for this season (their Junior year). Remember during the growing pains the last two years you could slowly see the group evolving. As (largely) juniors now they have a swagger to them they didn't have in the past. They didn't need to deck Ridley at the end of the game but it happens lol.

Opening night isn't always pretty. It's going to be a battle.

One player not mentioned was the power FB. He was a true freshman last year. He got big and runs hard ... Listed at 6'2", 237 lbs. Name of course slips me.

Curious if we'll see Lockhart in Week 1. Of course, I wouldn't have played him in either scrimmage, either.

Comment

I'd agree the DBs are stacked. Recall we've been waiting for this season (their Junior year). Remember during the growing pains the last two years you could slowly see the group evolving. As (largely) juniors now they have a swagger to them they didn't have in the past. They didn't need to deck Ridley at the end of the game but it happens lol.

Opening night isn't always pretty. It's going to be a battle.

One player not mentioned was the power FB. He was a true freshman last year. He got big and runs hard ... Listed at 6'2", 237 lbs. Name of course slips me.

Curious if we'll see Lockhart in Week 1. Of course, I wouldn't have played him in either scrimmage, either.
                        The FB is Parker Gregg. First, they had him listed at 243, you're saying 237, and now the roster has 234. Either way, he is bigger. He can run but hopefully, they are developing him as a blocker, too. We seem to have a diverse group of RB's. They're all a little different and now I see freshman Caye is the new addition to the group.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

The FB is Parker Gregg. First, they had him listed at 243, you're saying 237, and now the roster has 234. Either way, he is bigger. He can run but hopefully, they are developing him as a blocker, too. We seem to have a diverse group of RB's. They're all a little different and now I see freshman Caye is the new addition to the group.
                          While those listings are typically full of shiz, regardless, he's a big dude and runs hard. He's quick for his size. I got the impression at the scrimmage he's going to be more than a typical FB. I could see him getting a lot of carries this year. He wouldn't be real fun to keep tackling. He certainly gives them a muscle back at the goal line (something they've lacked a bit in recent years). The WR, Zinobile, is also a very big target (tall and very muscular). He has great hands.

I suspect a heavy dose of Houser on Thursday. Younger will also be involved. I'm curious where Randy Washington fits in right now. I do not expect to see Dayjure this week. The younger Houser didn't dress Wednesday.

They ran a lot of different (to IUP) looking things the other night. I think the whole offense is going to revolve around Karst constantly moving in all directions -- lots of roll out throws on the run, etc.

Comment

• As of today, Thursday is looking around 75 degrees and mostly sunny in Indiana.

Comment

• Looking forward to a great game on Thursday!

Comment

• Originally posted by unc4life View Post
                                Looking forward to a great game on Thursday!
                                Last three IUP vs. Ashland games have been decided by 13 points -- combined. IUP won all three but could just have easily lost all three.

I know for certain IUP considers this one of its biggest games of the year.

I'd guess the score will be in the 24-21 range.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X