Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

but but but had it not rained...Shepherd would have won the State Game too.

Everyone does it.
    Indeed we do...

Although, for myself, I gave IUP all the credit for that win. They dominated the LOS, and Shepherd abandoned the run and was not ready for a rain game with their game plan. Weather was not a factor a few weeks later and Shepherd showed who the better team was pretty emphatically. Funny game this football thing is.

Comment

• Blaming a loss on the officiating or the weather is usually weak sauce.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
        Blaming a loss on the officiating or the weather is usually weak sauce.
        I agree, but it did make me feel better.

Comment

• When is the coaching staff going to take blame for their clear blunder?

Comment

• ESU and last year's State Game are history. Can't change the results. I think IUP is about to explode (although some seem to expect them to implode). I think at this stage of the season there is a lot of development going on, a lot of new players. I think the talent will start to jell. Often, losing is a wake-up call and makes teams better. IUP can use last Saturday as motivation. I think the loss will make them more focused, from top to bottom.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
              When is the coaching staff going to take blame for their clear blunder?
              I think the official stance is we messed up but the officials should have told us.

I don’t think it will change.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I think the official stance is we messed up but the officials should have told us.

I don’t think it will change.
                If it even got Section C screaming ... you know it was an intense moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

If it even got Section C screaming ... you know it was an intense moment.
                  Man that means those hearts beat 6 or 7 extra times for the day!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
                    Blaming a loss on the officiating or the weather is usually weak sauce.
                    Are you reading this Gladys?

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

It wasn't directed at any one school. This has universal application.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Yeah and you were 4-7 last year “because of injuries”.

Comment

• Well, Karst said in The Penn today he, too, didn't know they were out of timeouts.

So, for those keeping score at home:

All IUP coaches and starting QB were in the fog

All of Sections B, C and D knew IUP had no timeouts.

That damn scoreboard operator.

Comment

• The IUP offense (mainly rushing attack) is struggling. The numbers don't lie.

In the past (5) games (dating back to last year), IUP has scored an average of 18.4 ppg.

Granted, this current stretch of (5) games has been against tough competition (Shephered twice, Ashland twice and East Stroudsburg). IUP's past (5) games have all been at Miller Stadium. In two of IUP's last three home games, the Crimson Hawks have been held to dismal 13- and 12-point performances.

IUP rushing yards past (5) games:
                            Opponent Carries Net Yards Average
                            Shepherd (win) 35 184 5.25
                            Ashland (win) 45 172 3.82
                            Shepherd (loss) 36 39 1.08
                            Ashland (win) 44 144 3.27
                            East Stroudsburg (loss) 36 52 1.44
                            In this year's Ashland game, 65 of the 144 yards came on two plays. Remove those two plays, and the average yards per carry in that game drops to 1.88.

So, the question looming large is why is this once-vaunted rushing attack no longer able to run the ball?

I've heard a lot of theories this week.
                            - Most are blaming the OL getting next to no push
                            - Is Tort shuffling RBs too often and none of them are getting in to a rythem?
                            - Is Larry Wilson's run play-callling the problem?
                            - Are the RBs getting to (minimal) holes too slowly?

Again, the past (5) games have been against very strong defenses. But, IUP's offense isn't exactly a slouch, either. Something isn't adding up.

My theory is the rushing attack has become extremely predictable -- almost to a fault. When armchair QBs can sit in the stands and call every first down play, well, that certainly means the educated team across the field can do the same.

Comment

The IUP offense (mainly rushing attack) is struggling. The numbers don't lie.

In the past (5) games (dating back to last year), IUP has scored an average of 18.4 ppg.

Granted, this current stretch of (5) games has been against tough competition (Shephered twice, Ashland twice and East Stroudsburg). IUP's past (5) games have all been at Miller Stadium. In two of IUP's last three home games, the Crimson Hawks have been held to dismal 13- and 12-point performances.

In this year's Ashland game, 65 of the 144 yards came on two plays. Remove those two plays, and the average yards per carry in that game drops to 1.88.

So, the question looming large is why is this once-vaunted rushing attack no longer able to run the ball?

Again, the past (5) games have been against very strong defenses. But, IUP's offense isn't exactly a slouch, either. Something isn't adding up.

My theory is the rushing attack has become extremely predictable -- almost to a fault. When armchair QBs can sit in the stands and call every first down play, well, that certainly means the educated team across the field can do the same.
                              IUP certainly isn't alone in lacking a strong rushing attack at times. Most of today's spread offenses are designed for passing and are not really strong running formations. If you have one back standing next to the QB, who is the QB going to hand off the ball to on the great majority of running plays? Not a lot of deception there. It's a little better if you have a QB who is a legitimate running threat, but do you really want your QB carrying the ball 15-20 times a game? Not usually. If you have an o-line that is very superior to the other team's d-line you can get away with just overpowering them, but that isn't always going to happen against good teams. Your stat of 65 yards of 144 coming on two plays is not unusual these days. A lot of these spread offense running plays get stuffed quickly, but eventually a successful trap block or quick-opening counter play might spring a guy loose for a 50-yarder. It's very unusual to see a team march down the field with a series of 4-, 5-. and 6-yard running plays these days. Penn State might have the most talented three-man running back group in the country, but they often get fewer than 200 yards rushing. How might they do with more lead blockng? It would be interesting to find out.

Ship, which has had some decent backs in the past (John Kuhn, anyone?) hasn't been able to run the ball consistently for several seasons now. Inconsistent o-line play is probably the biggest factor there. The Rocky Rees wing-T is dead and gone.

Comment

The IUP offense (mainly rushing attack) is struggling. The numbers don't lie.

I think its a little bit of both. You played 5 good opponents in that stretch, and your offense is pretty vanilla. Most of the time, you are significantly better than the opponent and it doesn't matter. In these tougher match ups, you can be neutralized. But that is what happens in those types of games.

Teams don't usually hit their season averages in bigger games, that's just football.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X