X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram040506
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Stewart won't be second fiddle. He'll be the starter. This is his team now. Not the other way around.
    Stewart is a damn good back. The backups are good too. That was the whole point in I just didn't understand the need for another really good RB, especially one with 1 year eligibility left. I just don't understand it, why would Monaco go somewhere where he's going to be more than likely a special teams returner and 3rd down back for the most part? Perhaps winning was the most important thing to him and he doesn't care about the touches. That would be rare but losing can have that effect i guess.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Speaking of big rosters, I had counted 51 names on the Shippensburg spring roster prior to signing day. At last count, Mac's incoming class was up to 48 players, by far his largest ever. I think it's safe to say there will be some movement on the Raiders' roster in the coming season.
    Yeah a big number will either stay as Ship students or just move along. Football is great at this level for dangling the carrot. Consider about 70 percent of our teams pay their own way. Hell, I'd sign 300 if possible. Dangle that carrot.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

So you think Stewart is going to be "cool" with being 2nd fiddle then? After being the guy for the last couple years...

Agree completely on line depth, there should be no end to adding to either of those position groups. Region 1 isn't lacking in depth at the skill positions, it's just up front.
    Stewart won't be second fiddle. He'll be the starter. This is his team now. Not the other way around.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied

No doubt more the merrier.

My point was I think some other positions were in need of said depth (in particular you can always use more on either line).

I'm sure the Bloom RB is going to have a big season. I just worry about line depth.

End of the day Tort is working a salary cap. That's a lot of coin tied up in RBs.
    So you think Stewart is going to be "cool" with being 2nd fiddle then? After being the guy for the last couple years...

Agree completely on line depth, there should be no end to adding to either of those position groups. Region 1 isn't lacking in depth at the skill positions, it's just up front.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

We talk about not having the depth to compete with out-of-region powers then we get depth and we talk about keeping everybody happy. Know what I'm saying?

IUP has traditionally sought to be 4 deep at RB. Basically, if the 4 are the players I am thinking of, we have 2 elite RB's (whose styles are different, BTW) and 2 guys with a lot of experience for "depth", if that is the appropriate word.

Also, the "unhappy" theme assumes that the players are me first rather than team players. I don't think that is true.

Also, don't overlook the FB types they have back there if they choose to use them.
    I don't think RB depth is the type of depth anyone was referring to when competing with the out of region powers. IMO, the depth is strictly in the trenches and that is where our region falls short. I also don't know how you could say that the "unhappy" theme might not apply. That room is now upperclassmen and has been in it through unhappy times. Can't say either way.

I think you guys wasted scholarship money on a position you really didn't need. Of course this is based on who we think is coming back, so maybe we don't have the full picture here.

Don't overlook the FB types? You guys certainly don't use them as a threat, so unless that is all of a sudden going to change, I'll overlook it.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

We talk about not having the depth to compete with out-of-region powers then we get depth and we talk about keeping everybody happy. Know what I'm saying?

IUP has traditionally sought to be 4 deep at RB. Basically, if the 4 are the players I am thinking of, we have 2 elite RB's (whose styles are different, BTW) and 2 guys with a lot of experience for "depth", if that is the appropriate word.

Also, the "unhappy" theme assumes that the players are me first rather than team players. I don't think that is true.

Also, don't overlook the FB types they have back there if they choose to use them.
    No doubt more the merrier.

My point was I think some other positions were in need of said depth (in particular you can always use more on either line).

I'm sure the Bloom RB is going to have a big season. I just worry about line depth.

End of the day Tort is working a salary cap. That's a lot of coin tied up in RBs.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

I'm sure all 4 starting caliber backs will be thrilled to get 5-8 carries a game and not whine about it...

I get that you can never have enough backs, but it just doesn't make sense to me to bring in the Bloom RB. That room is just never going to be satisfied and you guys don't need the bickering. Feel like its just a scab that is going to get scratched.

Plus on top of that, the way you guys have touted and loaded up on some very talented WR's... are you a running team or a passing team? Just seems like neither part of your extensive weapons are ever going to be happy. In the couple games I watched your QB, it seemed he's most comfortable in the quick game and using his feet as a threat. Is the offensive system creative and flexible enough to keep all these weapons happy?

Last edited by iupgroundhog; 02-21-2024, 09:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I'm sure all 4 starting caliber backs will be thrilled to get 5-8 carries a game and not whine about it...

I get that you can never have enough backs, but it just doesn't make sense to me to bring in the Bloom RB. That room is just never going to be satisfied and you guys don't need the bickering. Feel like its just a scab that is going to get scratched.

Plus on top of that, the way you guys have touted and loaded up on some very talented WR's... are you a running team or a passing team? Just seems like neither part of your extensive weapons are ever going to be happy. In the couple games I watched your QB, it seemed he's most comfortable in the quick game and using his feet as a threat. Is the offensive system creative and flexible enough to keep all these weapons happy?

I'd say they are assuming not all four will finish the season. If you get through a full year with all four RBs you're pretty lucky.

I thought they could have spent the Monaco money elsewhere but seemed to get jumped for saying so. As we said, they can't all play. And, these aren't all young kids. They are now all upperclassmen, and, at best, they will be splitting carries.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    The Spring Roster isn't out yet, but the rumor is this will be the biggest roster they've had in a long time.

That's good. That means there shouldn't be many surprises and they had very little turnover.

I'd assume the transfers from Millersville (LB and DL) and Bloomsburg (RB) will be in the Day 1 plans so it's good they are already here. Same with the WR imports (Clarion and SFU), although they may be depth guys in 2024.

Karst not being here last Spring, my opinion, really had him behind the 8 Ball. I thought when he returned (after watching for 3-4 weeks) he looked like a totally different player. It seemed that time away helped him re-group and grasp the offense much better. It will also be nice next Fall to have a backup QB who has started several games.

I am curious to see how Tort handles having four legit starting RBs. I know you can't have enough. I also know they can't all play at the same time. Dayjure Stewart and Adam Houser, for instance, get better the longer they are in the game.
    Speaking of big rosters, I had counted 51 names on the Shippensburg spring roster prior to signing day. At last count, Mac's incoming class was up to 48 players, by far his largest ever. I think it's safe to say there will be some movement on the Raiders' roster in the coming season.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied
    The Spring Roster isn't out yet, but the rumor is this will be the biggest roster they've had in a long time.

That's good. That means there shouldn't be many surprises and they had very little turnover.

I'd assume the transfers from Millersville (LB and DL) and Bloomsburg (RB) will be in the Day 1 plans so it's good they are already here. Same with the WR imports (Clarion and SFU), although they may be depth guys in 2024.

Karst not being here last Spring, my opinion, really had him behind the 8 Ball. I thought when he returned (after watching for 3-4 weeks) he looked like a totally different player. It seemed that time away helped him re-group and grasp the offense much better. It will also be nice next Fall to have a backup QB who has started several games.

I am curious to see how Tort handles having four legit starting RBs. I know you can't have enough. I also know they can't all play at the same time. Dayjure Stewart and Adam Houser, for instance, get better the longer they are in the game.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

When does it all get started?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
    Ladies swimming finished second this year. Pretty good for a school that ignores the non revenue sports.

Walk On U once again took both men’s and women’s titles.
    Speaking of non-revenue sports, Softball started with a sweep of Wheeling to kick things off. Baseball got off to its annual 0-3 start down at No. 9 UNC-Pembroke.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
    Ladies swimming finished second this year. Pretty good for a school that ignores the non revenue sports.

Swimming is one of those programs where dollars aren't as vital as momentum. Often the rich kid sports like field hockey, golf, and lacrosse are the same. They go based on playing time or desire to be part of the program, not because IUP offered $1,500 more than Clarion.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X